INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federales Checking For Foreign-Plated Cars with Expired TIPs

+10
cypress
cashncarry
CHILLIN
viajero
Trailrunner
Rolly
Rosa Venus
Ms.Thang
CheenaGringo
Hensley
14 posters

Go down

Federales Checking For Foreign-Plated Cars with Expired TIPs Empty Federales Checking For Foreign-Plated Cars with Expired TIPs

Post by Hensley Thu May 02, 2013 4:10 pm

New post on Surviving Yucatan

by yucalandia

May 2, 2013 from Mexconnect:
"For the first time ever, we (I was driving) were pulled over by of all things a Federale and asked to justify our expired TIP. It was outside of Customs near the Puerto Vallarta airport at about 7:30 pm(Monday, Feb. 24th)

First he asked me if I spoke Spanish, and I said yes. He then asked for my driver´s licence which is Canadian. He then asked me if I had a Mexican driver´s license. I said "no" and he winced. I then told him I didn´t need one since mine was current. (According to Article 38 of the Jalisco traffic laws, all you need is a current driver´s licence from anywhere).

He then asked us about the expired TIP (car permit) sticker on our window. I then pulled out my never-before-needed copy of the Ley Aduanera, which, includes Article 106, explaining we can legally use our cars. He then said a remarkable thing (I´m paraphrasing and also, obviously, translating).

"This is Aduana´s law. I´m Federale. Aduana´s law has nothing to do with us.

We are told to take anyone to Aduana with an expired TIP and then they will give a very large multa"

I then said very politely, something like "No. Bajo protesta de decir verdad, este vehiculo es legal. Es muy probable que este ley vaya a cambiar, pero ya no ha cambiado, (Basically, "I swear, this vehicle is legal. It´s very probable this law is going to change, but now, it hasn´t changed).

He then said something to the effect that he didn´t want to impound the vehicle this particular evening and I could go. I then said "Que le vaya bien" and he said "Igualmente"

What I´m doing is printing out a new copy of the law where right there on the first page, it says a big red "Vigente" and that the last revision was April 2012. Here´s the link.

http://www.diputados...blio/pdf/12.pdf"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Looks like there are Federales who are being tasked with finding gringos with Residente Permanentes who are driving foreign plated TIP cars, and these police are not feeling very charitable.

Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Federales Checking For Foreign-Plated Cars with Expired TIPs Empty Re: Federales Checking For Foreign-Plated Cars with Expired TIPs

Post by CheenaGringo Thu May 02, 2013 9:29 pm

I would take posts by Steve Fry with a grain of salt. Another of those people who would like to be known as a "Mexico expert" but his ego seems to get in the way. If I were to make one criticism, Steve cannot seem to grasp the concept of inconsistency in Mexico and because he find/reads something in writing, he tends to jump to the conslusion that things always are enforced equally all over Mexico. From our experience, I just don't find that to be true!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Federales Checking For Foreign-Plated Cars with Expired TIPs Empty Re: Federales Checking For Foreign-Plated Cars with Expired TIPs

Post by Ms.Thang Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 pm

It's hysterical that he told that federale " bajo protesta decir la verdad, este vehiculo es legal" . That official must have had a good chuckle with his buddies about that.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 pm

Re Yucalandia:

It was a "re-post" by him. As told by someone else from Puerto Vallarta about their experience. He lives in Mérida.

He's a gatherer/re-poster of information. Then he tries to process and vet the whole shebang. Then he re-pukes it. He's one of those dudes.

I certainly don't trust everything he posts, far from it, but I appreciate his efforts to check veracity, since I can't be bothered to do what he does.

We all have to determine on our own what information out there is sound, and what is bogus. It is the internet, after all!.

P.S. In my opinion, the whole episode that was originally posted was just the Federales going on a fishing expedition for a little something. They've been working that turf FOREVER....and now they have a new tool at their disposal.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Thu May 02, 2013 11:34 pm

I have great faith in Dr Steven Fry.
H4 is one of the good guys.
Neil, you're being a tad unfair.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 03, 2013 8:13 am

Rosa Venus wrote:Re Yucalandia:
P.S. In my opinion, the whole episode that was originally posted was just the Federales going on a fishing expedition for a little something. They've been working that turf FOREVER....and now they have a new tool at their disposal.

Certainly was my take on it too.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri May 03, 2013 8:49 am

Ms.Thang wrote:It's hysterical that he told that federale " bajo protesta decir la verdad, este vehiculo es legal" . That official must have had a good chuckle with his buddies about that.
Te lo juro,oficial,te lo juro! jajaja!

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 am

Rolly wrote:I have great faith in Dr Steven Fry.

I'm with cheena on this one. The first giveaway is that he is a Doctor, in the PhD. sense, I believe in Chemistry. The use of Doctor, outside the University setting, hasn't been proper for at least twenty years. Other than those seeking undeserved self promotion - like Dr. Laura for example.

Another thing - he allows, then widely spreads anonymous postings on his board as fact, with no effort at all at fact checking.

Like a chemist, he sees everything as fact - calcium is calcium, acetic acid is acetic acid, if you mix them together there is a foreseeable reaction. Unfortunately, as Cheena pointed out, politics and law are not the same, in fact they are completely the opposite.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Federales Checking For Foreign-Plated Cars with Expired TIPs Empty this is not new

Post by cashncarry Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 am

Hensley wrote: New post on Surviving Yucatan

by yucalandia

May 2, 2013 from Mexconnect:
"For the first time ever, we (I was driving) were pulled over by of all things a Federale and asked to justify our expired TIP. It was outside of Customs near the Puerto Vallarta airport at about 7:30 pm(Monday, Feb. 24th)

First he asked me if I spoke Spanish, and I said yes. He then asked for my driver´s licence which is Canadian. He then asked me if I had a Mexican driver´s license. I said "no" and he winced. I then told him I didn´t need one since mine was current. (According to Article 38 of the Jalisco traffic laws, all you need is a current driver´s licence from anywhere).

There is NOTHING new here, Federales and other cops have been pulling this for years. I guess you have been fortunate if this was a first time for you.

He then asked us about the expired TIP (car permit) sticker on our window. I then pulled out my never-before-needed copy of the Ley Aduanera, which, includes Article 106, explaining we can legally use our cars. He then said a remarkable thing (I´m paraphrasing and also, obviously, translating).

"This is Aduana´s law. I´m Federale. Aduana´s law has nothing to do with us.

We are told to take anyone to Aduana with an expired TIP and then they will give a very large multa"

I then said very politely, something like "No. Bajo protesta de decir verdad, este vehiculo es legal. Es muy probable que este ley vaya a cambiar, pero ya no ha cambiado, (Basically, "I swear, this vehicle is legal. It´s very probable this law is going to change, but now, it hasn´t changed).

He then said something to the effect that he didn´t want to impound the vehicle this particular evening and I could go. I then said "Que le vaya bien" and he said "Igualmente"

What I´m doing is printing out a new copy of the law where right there on the first page, it says a big red "Vigente" and that the last revision was April 2012. Here´s the link.

http://www.diputados...blio/pdf/12.pdf"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Looks like there are Federales who are being tasked with finding gringos with Residente Permanentes who are driving foreign plated TIP cars, and these police are not feeling very charitable.

Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

cashncarry

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri May 03, 2013 10:08 am

Going back to 2011 when the new Immigration Law was announced, Dr. Fry and mainly two others took the position that each of them always had the "inside track" on how the regulations were going to read and be implimented. Run amok Quija Boards and pure speculation come to mind when describing many of their posts on this topic and now continues with the vehicle issue. The constant banter of each claiming to know more than the other is so unrealistic when one considers the variances that come into play on virtually everything in the Country of Mexico.

To my twisted way of thinking, this inconsistency is just one of the factors that makes Mexico such an interesting country!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri May 03, 2013 10:56 am

Yes, it is a joy living in what would be termed a monoculture, versus a multicultural country. Of course there are regional and racial variations within Mexico, but in general is a rich, dense stew of culture - which I will probably never fully understand in my lifetime.

Also, many talk of the sense of 'freedom' in Mexico - no nanny state breathing down your neck, no worry about politically correct finger wagging. Now, if we are to believe the pundits - you car will be confiscated for what really is minor bit of paperwork while at the same time turning a blind eye to no insurance, unsecured loads, no seatbelts, no helmets, - things that take away lives!

It occurs to me that Aduana is taking another look at the Menaje de Casa rules, that if you can prove you owned that vehicle for one year previous to your time of entry to Mexico - they will allow duty free, but you have to get State plates and registration. This would be in line with the policy of Canada. Hey - at least 60,000 Mexicans moved permanently in Canada from 2001 to 2011!
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Sat May 04, 2013 11:38 am

But you still have articles 17 & 106 disabled on your website-contrary to what Fry says.
H4 is one of the good guys.
Neil, you're being a tad unfair.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat May 04, 2013 11:47 am

An interesting side note: Both TIOCORP and a fella named Maurice have ads in the current Guadalajara Reporter offering to take care of your car issues to save your driving to the border.
Hmmm?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sat May 04, 2013 12:06 pm

CHILLIN wrote:

I'm with cheena on this one.

I agree. The guy's a poser. A rolly wannabe in a sense.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sat May 04, 2013 1:10 pm

CHILLIN wrote:

It occurs to me that Aduana is taking another look at the Menaje de Casa rules, that if you can prove you owned that vehicle for one year previous to your time of entry to Mexico - they will allow duty free, but you have to get State plates and registration. This would be in line with the policy of Canada. Hey - at least 60,000 Mexicans moved permanently in Canada from 2001 to 2011!

Now this is just WAY too logical to believe Aduana could ever come up with something like this. Where did you ever hear this???

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat May 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Ezzie wrote:
CHILLIN wrote:

Now this is just WAY too logical to believe Aduana could ever come up with something like this. Where did you ever hear this???
like martin luther king,chillin had a dream
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat May 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Things are changing - I am wondering if long time residents see this for the good. I read today they are passing a law that makes insurance compulsory for all National highways. They have been enforcing drunk driving in Puerto Vallarta for some time. It is now about $1,000 US fine - stay in jail until you pay. On the weekend they breathalised after an event at the Sports Arena - apparently they caught up a lot of the town's movers and shakers. One of the local papers was there and did a story as to who was caught, and what they said - most likely along the lines "Do you know who I am?!". Funniest was that they have this sort of costumed mascot who represents the water board at public events. You guessed it - driving his clown mobile, drunk as a skunk!
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down