INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Training collar

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Training collar

Post by CanuckBob on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:37 am

My Pit-bull had the nasty habit of pulling on the leash ALL THE TIME while I was walking her. Particularly, if she spotted another dog to play with. A conventional choke chain had no effect what so ever because the dog's neck muscles are so strong. It got so bad she broke two leashes so I decided to break down and get one of those medieval looking training collars. It is like a choke chain with spikes on the inside so when the dog pulls the spike don't feel so good. What an amazing device. The dog pulled once when I first put it on and never again. Even when she sees another dog she doesn't pull any longer. I highly recommend one of these if your dog is a puller.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Training collar

Post by blue mango on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:39 am

You should let your dog pull on the leash. You need to jerk her back and release, this is how you train dog to walk on a leash properly. She should never be in front of you or pull. Talk to Art Hess he is great at training dog in a gentle manner.

blue mango

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 am

Like this ?
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:07 pm

blue mango wrote:You should let your dog pull on the leash. You need to jerk her back and release, this is how you train dog to walk on a leash properly. She should never be in front of you or pull. Talk to Art Hess he is great at training dog in a gentle manner.
It was actually some dog trainer down on the malecon that suggested I needed one of these training collars. Believe me, pulling on the leash resulted in broken leashes. I don't know if you have had any experience with pitbulls but they are very powerful dogs. Anyhow, problem is now solved. Gracias.
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Ahhhh.....strong, willful puppies. They also make a plastic version of the collar now (same concept). I guess the plastic is to help us feel better about using one. They work! Beer 

Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:36 pm

blue mango wrote:You should let your dog pull on the leash. You need to jerk her back and release, this is how you train dog to walk on a leash properly. She should never be in front of you or pull. Talk to Art Hess he is great at training dog in a gentle manner.
this is the correct method -dog to your left side almost against your leg-short leash. i trained my own hunting dogs this way until only a voice command was necessary[the word heal]. it takes patience on your part-is all
a choke "chain" of the right heft will not break.
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Pedro, I can assure you those hunting dogs don't have nearly the pulling power or strength of a pitbull. Like I said this collar was an instant fix so problem solved. I am sure after a few weeks I can go back to a regular collar.

BTW Rosa....the dog was ripping my arm out of the socket every morning so I don't feel bad using it. Besides, the dog only pulled once and quickly learned "no mas".........
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by blue mango on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Yes I have experience with them and that is why you leash train them early before they get too strong.
I had the same problem with a dog : he was an angel on the pronged collar but the minute I put the other collar back on him he went back to pulling. He figured it out pretty fast.
I had to walk him with the strangler with the prongs and the strangling collar as he broke the prong collar once.
He was very good at walking on a leash but if he saw something he wanted to go after you had better be ready for him...

blue mango

Back to top Go down

Post by elehne1 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 pm

We, too, use the pinch collar on our large dogs and no more pulling ahead of us. They have always walked on our left, short leashed, however, there was always a pull until the pinch collars...now they are great walkers and no arm pulling!

elehne1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Excellent! You just need to use the right "tool" at the right time. I had a rotti that I was exercising her neck muscles until I used a pinch collar.
Training is simply finding a way for you both to communicate before you frustrate each other. Thumbs up 
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:28 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
BTW Rosa....the dog was ripping my arm out of the socket every morning so I don't feel bad using it. Besides, the dog only pulled once and quickly learned "no mas".........
I think maybe you misunderstood me. I understand perfectly what you said and know exactly what it feels like to have the arm pulled out of the socket, daily. I just mentioned the plastic version of the collar for people who can't "bring themselves" to use the metal version. An alternative is all.

Stronger, more obstinate dogs require stronger training. If you have the time, patience and dedication to employ the "kinder gentler" training techniques when their very young and lack the power they grow into, great. That works, too. But if that hasn't happened by a certain age/strength, then all bets are off and it's whatever it takes. (These dogs ain't Labs.)

And those collars aren't "cruel" either. Just effective. The dog simply learns, quickly, that it's a bad idea to pull, so it doesn't. Victory.
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Granted I have never owned a Pit Bull but I have always been able to operate under the theory that dogs can be trained because they wish to please you and not because they feel threatened by you or by your training techniques! I once "inherited" a four year old St Bernard with marginal training who happened to weigh 215 LBS. At the time, I weighed 145 to 150 dripping wet but that dog was one of the easiest to train because he wanted nothing more than to please you. With the weight differential and power in that dog - he could have taken me anywhere he wanted. Never even had to use a choke collar on him!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Terriers are most interested in pleasing themselves.
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by blue mango on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:17 pm

I never had a chain collar break but one of my dogs did break the prong collar for that reason I always had a choke collar as a back up.
Pitbulls are very powerful can be very determined.

blue mango

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Pinch collars are not just for large, powerful dogs but for any dog that pulls at the leash. For several years I have been active in AKC Earthdog tests (no chokers or pinch collars allowed) and have been around hundreds of very high-prey-drive terriers and dachshunds. Those little guys are some of the worst pullers I've ever seen and their pulling, if unchecked, can really ruin a casual walk. Pinch collars are commonly referred to as "power steering for dogs" and are the easiest, kindest solution for both dog and handler.
George
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Sorry George:

But I will compare to certain people on various forums where so-called "training or pinch collars" probably wouldn't get them to behave either! In a similar fashion to kids, one has to be smarter than the kids or dogs to be a successful owner.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Make sure ALL chain links are welded in collars and leads.
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 pm

The Pinch Collar is similar to the Mother dog's correction techniques. That's why it is so effective. I used one (at the suggestion of my trainer NOB) on a very stubborn Corgi foster dog. I did buy a plastic version to pass along to his new owners.

razberry 
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Please don't have a cow until you read the whole thing thank you.  I have had to use shock collars for short periods of time to train Adult not trained working dogs like Blue Healers. I did shock myself so I know what it feels like and after a shock or so the warning buzzer on the remote does almost all the work.  Now remember we are dealing with adult poorly or not trained working dogs. If I didn't find a solution they would have to be put down. Please also understand I felt terrible using the device but we did find we saved many animals from sure death. Are there any other suggestions on how to deal with this kind of situation without using the shocking collar? They are still using the collar as a last measure NOB. Any suggestions? 
These are the dogs nobody wants because they are frankly dangerous. I assure you the only thing worse for me was putting them down.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:12 pm

We stayed with a friend some time ago, who's now passed. Who had a darling little Cocker Spaniel. ..not hyper. He used the thing on her... as her regular collar. I was horrified but there wasn't much I could do about it. In hind sight I wish I'd had the balls to "vanish" it.
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:33 pm

There's a thread over on TOB about pit bulls attacking people in Chapala Haciendas.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Guess they need a training collar.......
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:12 am

It was my husband who was attacked. I am thinking more of a stun gun or a baseball bat. My husband is the 3rd or 4th person to be attacked in the last few days.
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top