INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jalisco State Driver's License / can anyone obtain one?

+12
Intercasa
kiminmexico
Chapalagringa
Pedro
David
CanuckBob
slainte39
ComputerGuy
Lady Otter Latté
CheenaGringo
sparks
Sherman
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jalisco State Driver's License / can anyone obtain one? Empty Jalisco State Driver's License / can anyone obtain one?

Post by Sherman Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:22 am

there's a fairly new on-line magazine subscription (for a charge) that I looked at recently during a week-long trial.
One of the articles was on obtaining a Jalisco Driver's license.

The article suggested that you had to have a permanent resident Visa to get a license.
I found this interesting because I've had a Jalisco driver's license for 3 years and I do not have a permanent resident Visa, and don't expect to get one any time soon.

Did something change in this last go-round of laws placing restrictions on who can get a Jalisco State driver's license?

Thanks....

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

Jalisco State Driver's License / can anyone obtain one? Empty Re: Jalisco State Driver's License / can anyone obtain one?

Post by sparks Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 am

A resident visa is all you need. Lots of bad info "out there"
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Jalisco State Driver's License / can anyone obtain one? Empty Re: Jalisco State Driver's License / can anyone obtain one?

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:25 am

Go to love the "new experts" who actually manage to find people willing to pay for their lack of knowledge and experience!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks. I did not think anything had changed.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:42 am

Information found on the on-line mag you "test read" should always be taken with a huge grain of salt -- which makes me wonder why anyone would pay to read it.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:22 pm

I read some of the other articles where I knew the content was 'off' because of my personal experience from living here ... but I did not know for sure if there had been a change in the Jalisco laws about who could have a driver's license and I wanted to find that out 'before' i got stopped rather than after!!

Thanks.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Her information is typically incorrect. Don't know where she gets it.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Sherman wrote:there's a fairly new on-line magazine subscription (for a charge) that I looked at recently during a week-long trial.
It's worth exactly what you paid for it.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:07 am

I finally went and got my Jalisco drivers license. I had to present my CURP, Visa, Passport and proof of residence (CFE Bill less than 90 days old) plus one copy (front and back) of all these documents. They also want to know your blood type although no documentation is required for that.

They enter all the information then send you in for pictures and fingerprints. There is a written test on a computer with 10 questions. They are in Spanish but they will help you with translation and even offer you the correct answers. The road test is next. You can either take it or, while you are with the tester, you can offer to "help the office" and skip the road test (so I have heard.....jaja).

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:36 am

Where does one go to get a DL?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:06 pm

The DL office is in Chapala. I don't recall the exact street name however it is about 1 1/2 blocks northwest from the Motor Vehicle Branch.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:19 pm

Do you mean from the Recaudadora, where you pay for tickets and annual car sticker?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:31 pm

yes it's on the same street on a corner west of the ticket office. usually there are transito trucks parked there. it's also where the commandante has his office.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:43 pm

David wrote:Do you mean from the Recaudadora, where you pay for tickets and annual car sticker?

Yes, from there it is 1/2 block west, 1 block north, 1/2 block west. You can't miss it. Once you finish your tests you walk over to the Recaudadora to pay the license fee ($500 mxn) then take the receipt back and they will give you your license.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Has anyone recently renewed their license with a tourist visa??? Someone i know was turned away.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 am

According to Spencer, it has been several years since Mexico has allowed those with a tourist visa to get or renew a drivers license.
Also, you now need a CURP number to get or renew a license. You must have a residente temporal or permenente to get a CURP number.
So, no, you may not get or renew a Mexican drivers license if you have a tourist visa.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:30 am

Sherman wrote: 
I found this interesting because I've had a Jalisco driver's license for 3 years and I do not have a permanent resident Visa, and don't expect to get one any time soon.

You pretty much have to go Permanente after 4 years on Temporal .... unless you want to head north and start over ??

Unless you're a tourist .... then you're screwed for renew
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote: You must have a residente temporal or permenente to get a CURP number.

that isn't true, anyone can get a CURP that comes into Mexico.
all a tourist needs is their passport and FMT.
see page 2:

http://www.renapo.gob.mx/swb/swb/RENAPO/HojaRequisitos
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:54 pm

Someone better tell Spencer that. He posted on TOB in answer to this same question:
"The past few years they only allowed FM2 and FM3 and then inmigrante and no inmigrante and now temporal and permanente licenses. About 2 years ago they started requiring a CURP number and for that you can only get one if you are residente temporal or permanente."
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:14 pm

I stand corrected, that earlier link does have a date of aug 2009... this is recent:

http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Preguntas_Frecuentes_POT

" ¿Cuáles son los requisitos para tramitar la CURP?

Los residentes temporales y permanentes tendrán derecho a obtener la Clave Única de Registro de Población (CURP) que emite la Secretaria de Gobernación, la que podrán solicitar en cualquier Delegación Federal del Instituto que corresponda a su domicilio, presentando copia de su pasaporte y tarjeta de residente."

I know someone that's been here for years, with a curp and driver's license.  They opted to leave the country and come back on a tourist visa, drive a foreign plated car.  Now they don't have permission to renew their license.   They were told to keep their paid receipt for the license, change their visa status and come back in to renew their license.  If you have an out of state license and break the law, they may impound your car because they can't give you a ticket.

Last edited by Chapalagringa on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Granted every State in the US is different but like a Passport - I think I would plan on having both my Passport and Drivers License recently renewed for the maximum available periods if moving to Mexico. Granted it might cost you a few extra bucks but I would much rather deal with each while NOB.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm thinking it is just a matter of time and Mexico will not allow Permanente visa holders to drive on foreign licenses. If they can't have a foreign car down here now then it only makes sense that this will be the next step.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Mexico has been very generous. In most states in the United States, driving with a foreign drivers license is legal only for one year.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Good point Lady O! While you might be able to drive on a foreign license for one year, these same States may have a much shorter limit for driving on a license from another State. For what ever reason, politicians have seen fit to write certain "license agreements:" into various treaties?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:59 pm

You are right, Cheena. The states with which I am familiar give you 30 days after moving in from another state to re-register your car and get a new drivers license.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next