INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yahoo Calendar??

+5
lunateak
ComputerGuy
sparks
CheenaGringo
blondie1
9 posters

Go down

Yahoo Calendar?? Empty Yahoo Calendar??

Post by blondie1 Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:47 pm

I have Windows 7. I am using the Yahoo home page and calendar.This morning a window came up and told me that I needed to update to IE 10 for the calendar to work best. I downloaded it and installed it and it came up and said IE 10 was already installed. I can't get into my calendar. Any suggestions?

thanks,
blondie1

blondie1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Yahoo Calendar?? Empty Re: Yahoo Calendar??

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Run as fast as you can from anything to do with Yahoo! Along with AOL, Hotmail, etc. - you are dealing with the dinos!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:23 am

Try Chrome or Firefox
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Sorry, I don't use Yahoo or Outlook.com or even GMail.com. How old is email now as a technology? And not one of these massive companies has figured out how to serve it up right.

Yahoo screws up their email site with an astonishing regularity, and every aspect of it, from the display interface to how you change your hidden settings. And they make it so damn hard (as does Outlook.com) to get your email back when someone else borks your password that you lose everything.

I realize this is not helping your situation. I would recommend using an email "client" on your computer, and not an email web page. And I further recommend getting your own email address, not some public address like Yahoo or HotMail. Your email will be much more secure and way more fun to use.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie1 Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:41 am

HelperGuy wrote:Sorry, I don't use Yahoo or Outlook.com or even GMail.com. How old is email now as a technology? And not one of these massive companies has figured out how to serve it up right.

Yahoo screws up their email site with an astonishing regularity, and every aspect of it, from the display interface to how you change your hidden settings. And they make it so damn hard (as does Outlook.com) to get your email back when someone else borks your password that you lose everything.

I realize this is not helping your situation. I would recommend using an email "client" on your computer, and not an email web page. And I further recommend getting your own email address, not some public address like Yahoo or HotMail. Your email will be much more secure and way more fun to use.
Thanks HelperGuy, I am going to look into this. Not a computer Tech, so need to try and do some research first.

Thanks again to all the posters,

blondie1

blondie1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:15 am

Tell me more....
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:41 am

lunateak wrote:I realize this is not helping your situation. I would recommend using an email "client" on your computer, and not an email web page. And I further recommend getting your own email address, not some public address like Yahoo or HotMail. Your email will be much more secure and way more fun to use.

Tell me more....
The internet services (who are paid a monthly fee) provides E-Mail addresses and Web page space.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:55 am

Are you saying that Temex (my internet provider) will provide e-mail addresses and web pages?  Or is it through some other entity?  Sorry to be so clueless.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:24 pm

When our campus first installed MS Exchange Mail Server it had no Web access .... only POP3. It was bad enough teaching people how to use it on campus but then half the staff and faculty wanted to use it from home.

Was I ever relieved when the next edition came out with a web interface. Then I had to install on the student network, separate server ... and had to have an assistant to create student accounts.

Keep it simple !!!
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Yes Telmex provides you with an email box but you might have to talk to them to find out what it is. Way too difficult for a non-techie without help

http://blog.telmex.com/2010/10/11/correo-electronico-para-usuarios-telme/

Did you try a different browser?
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 pm

lunateak wrote:I realize this is not helping your situation. I would recommend using an email "client" on your computer, and not an email web page. And I further recommend getting your own email address, not some public address like Yahoo or HotMail. Your email will be much more secure and way more fun to use.

Tell me more....
I haven't heard anyone say their TelMex web-based email has been hacked. The takeaway from this is that the lesser-known the webmail service, the less likely it is to be hacked. Also, GMail is much, much better at getting you a bad password fixed up than HotMail/Outlook.com or Yahoo, which are the two biggest services before AOL.

The drawback with using an email client (which simply means running a program from your computer) is yes, you have to set it up. One time. The benefits? No email hacking; email always on your computer whether you are connected to the Internet or not; get access to any attachments anytime, with or without Internet; much quicker; more advanced options.

Here are two examples of programs you can look at: Thunderbird (free) and PostBox ($6.95 US).
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:03 pm

With all due respect to Helper Guy, my concern with computer based email is when the hard drive crashes, it is GONE. Also I like the flexibility of getting my email from any device, anywhere, anytime.

Since most folks don't backup, crashes are a b**ch to deal with and they lose email access for days, typically.

Signed...A former Outlook user who is now a confirmed Gmail user and has never (in all the years of using Gmail) had a security or access issue.
Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Punography

http://www.solartechnology.com.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Two things here, GoSol: one, you always set it up to ensure that the email stays on the server until you delete it... therefore, a crashed or stolen machine makes no difference: you merely reget your mail.

Second, using any private service, or GMail and many others, you can access your mail via [i]webmaill/i] anytime, anywhere, any computer. And as long as synchronization is set up, you will still get your emails when you get back home, on your computer.

Keep in mind my comments are much more related to what happens when you can no longer access your email, or when a company like Yahoo screws it up for you.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:39 pm

One of my Gmail accounts was hacked and Gmail caught it before I did since it happened in the middle of the night. I received a text message on my cell and an alternate Gmail account that they had frozen the account and I needed to do a password reset. Apparently, it was the Chinese getting even with me.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:52 pm

The original issue was just access to the Yahoo calendar. Without trying to convert them to another mail system ?? Maybe a browser issue, maybe a short lived problem with all the changes Yahoo has been making, requires Java?, maybe it fixed itself by now.

There's lots of issues found with Google search going back a few years. Just look thru them and see if anything fits
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Hey, no one is trying to convert anyone. I merely voiced my displeasure with the state of webmail today, and offered an alternative thought. Since Yahoo continues to screw people over, why not?

Little known fact: Yahoo brass suggested the entire company switch to Yahoo mail. At last count, only 25% had done so. Why?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:28 pm

I worked with people who could operate only what they needed to survive in a job using computers for almost 15 years.  Suggesting new improvements of any kind is going to send them into outer space unless it suddenly becomes a job requirement.   Hopefully you don't have to be the tutor.

Philosophy or true knowledge about what is best ... is only going to be heard by those that are ready.   The rest is like discussing the world situation except there is no Right/Left .... just the survival crew vs. the techies

Whooops ... Seahawks on TV.   Almost missed 'um

........... That included teaching Architects that had only worked on paper and a calculator how to use DOS based AutoCad. Make a serious suggestion to change and you need to stand behind it
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:52 pm

Ah, yes, but remember the majority of my clients are over 60, many over 70 and upwards, who never touched a computer until 10 years ago. Most of them do pretty well at this game, once they are shown the way.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:15 am

Love my Gmail. However, they may possess my soul.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:29 am

I use hush mail, highly recommend.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:31 am

http://free-email-services-review.toptenreviews.com/hushmail-review.html

Review
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down