INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Belts

+2
Rosa Venus
Ms.Thang
6 posters

Go down

Belts Empty Belts

Post by Ms.Thang Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:49 am

Is there anywhere in chapala or ajijic that sells those cheap belts like they sell at the tiangues? I don't want fancy ones, just plain

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Belts Empty Re: Belts

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:49 pm

There's a guy with a leather shop on the carretera in Ajijic, lakeside of the road, across from Plaza Montana mas o menos. I imagine they're not very expensive, though I haven't priced them there. There's a second one on the mountain side, but not on the carretera. One block behind the carretera toward the mountain, just east of Juarez. There must be similar in Chapala.

I paid $90 pesos for a cheap leather belt at the Tianguis in Ajijic. Can't imagine they are much more than that, if any more at all.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:29 pm

what's wrong with the chapala tianguis-i got 2 very nice belts there?
you can also find belts at the lakeshore vendors.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:48 pm

I am leaving on Sunday and my dad always asks for these belts. I have procrastinated but I did look around Chapala but couldn't find the right sizes and width he wants.
I will definitely check out the Ajijic places tomorrow...thanks!

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Tooo bad you waited so long, The Chapala Market on Mondays has many vendors offering everything in the way of belts and goods, probably double the size of the Wednesday market @ El Torito's
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Ms. Thang:

Just a personal observation based upon actual experience - some Mexican belts are made from very stiff and poorly tanned leather. We have bought them thinking saddle soap or leather oil will soften them up and they end up in the garbage.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:20 pm

TRUE Neil, I've been lucky bought 2, 7 years ago One I still use...the other bites!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:33 pm

As of late, I have found high quality belts in Tlaquepaque at two different leather shops and did well at a mercado in Oaxaca.

What I really wish I could find in Mexico is a source for high quality sheepskin coats. They have become crazy expensive NOB and as a result quite hard to find.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:35 pm

I don't care for these belts at all but he likes them....a lot and loves to give them to his friends.
I always buy very nice Nautical, Hilfiger and other high quality belts for $10.00 - $12.00 at the outlet mall a few miles from his house, bring them back to Mexico and give them to MY friends. Ha!.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Ms.Thang wrote:I don't care for these belts at all but he likes them....a lot and loves to give them to his friends.
I always buy very nice Nautical, Hilfiger and other high quality belts for $10.00 - $12.00 at the outlet mall a few miles from his house, bring them back to Mexico and give them to MY friends. Ha!.
so the moral is-the belt is always greener on the other side?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:26 am

CheenaGringo wrote:As of late, I have found high quality belts in Tlaquepaque at two different leather shops and did well at a mercado in Oaxaca.

What I really wish I could find in Mexico is a source for high quality sheepskin coats.  They have become crazy expensive NOB and as a result quite hard to find.

This request really gave me the giggles...it's not that cold here...take a trip to Peru, gets freezing there! They sell alpaca there.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:46 am

Actually, I have seen sheepsin coats in Leon that are made in Mexico. While the skins look to be of decent quality, the design and styling lack imagination. I plan to zip off an email to Leo's Piel in Tlaquepaque and ask if he knows where I can get one made.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Actually, I have seen sheepsin coats in Leon that are made in Mexico.  While the skins look to be of decent quality, the design and styling lack imagination.  I plan to zip off an email to Leo's Piel in Tlaquepaque and ask if he knows where I can get one made.
i'm sure leo can make it. it took him 6 months to get the leather for my pants but he never gave up trying.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:10 pm

I bought 4 belts from the guy across from plaza Montana today, they are quite nice...much better quality than the ones at t the tiangues . He wanted $ 150.00 each but we negotiated and I paid a little less. He had all the sizes and colors I wanted and that was really nice. Usually I have to go to 2 or 3 places.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down