INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fly fishing lakeside

+7
kipissippi
Pedro
CHILLIN
Pescador
CheenaGringo
Jim W
Rob and Wendy
11 posters

Go down

Fly fishing lakeside Empty Fly fishing lakeside

Post by Rob and Wendy Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Hello all
I tried to leave my fly fishing gear back in Canada but I couldn't do it. Now I am finding the need to get out and try it out locally. Does anyone have any advise for this rookie Mexican fly fishing snowback? Best places. What flies work best? Do I need a fishing licence? That's for your input.

Rob and Wendy

Back to top Go down

Fly fishing lakeside Empty Re: Fly fishing lakeside

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Welcome to the "Best Board at Lakeside" Rob n Wendy! The only question I can answer is yes, you need a fishing license.

Surte 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Here is the Website, and it will save you a lot of time over the drive to GDL

http://www.bestbajafishing.org/fishing-permits.php

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:10 pm

While I am not a fly fisherman, the one lake that I have seen in Mexico where I would be tempted to try spinning gear would be Lake Zirahuen near Patzcuaro in the State of Michoacan:
Fly fishing lakeside <a href=Fly fishing lakeside Dscn5010" />

Some refer to this lake as Mexico's Lake Tahoe and it does have a trout population.  From what I have read, it is one of Mexico's deeper lakes.  It does have a commercial fleet that supplies trout to many of the restaurants in the area and Michoacan Trout has a decent reputation in Mexico. We have tried Michoacan Trout at a restaurant in the area and had to declare the entrees quite good.  

I would guess that there may be some rivers and streams in Northern Mexico that would support fly fishing but I haven't done any research on the subject?  Most rivers, streams and lakes seem to have issues with polution from agricultural runoff.  A quick Google search for "fly fishing in Mexico" seems to pull up mostly information on salt water fishing but I did find this:
https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/en/gallery/127-fly-fishing-for-trout-in-mexico

A photo album of the area around Lake Zirahuen:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/118146709599975173363/albums/5849314625990282449/5849314942348508274?pid=5849314942348508274&oid=118146709599975173363

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Rob and Wendy wrote:Hello all
I tried to leave my fly fishing gear back in Canada but I couldn't do it. Now I am finding the need to get out and try it out locally. Does anyone have any advise for this rookie Mexican fly fishing snowback?  Best places. What flies work best? Do I need a fishing licence?  That's for your input.  

MEXICAN SPORTFISHING REGULATIONS

When operating a boat that carries fishing equipment in Mexican waters, it is necessary to hold a valid fishing license for everybody aboard the boat, regardless of age and whether fishing or not. A Fishing License is not required when fishing from land.

Sorry, I can't help you much as far as advice, and BEST places to fly fish in the Lake Chapala area.

Now if you want to go after the Sailfish, Roosters and other Ocean fish from a boat, send me a PM and I can fix ya up!

Pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:52 pm

They do fly fish in the Pacific. No license needed to fish from shore. You are just imitating squid ( a rooster tail?). The champeen fish is the Roosterfish - catch and release. This was taken in Baja - it is not me by the way Very Happy 

CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:14 pm

the fish in lake chapala are:charales[like smelt]tilapia[like rock bass],catfish,carp and a very rare whitefish.you could try the tilapia with a sinking line but there are a lot of snags below the surface. i doubt your ontario fly fishing gear would be like the specialized gear needed fer fishing on the coast.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Lake Zirahuen..... large sigh... has to be the clearest water I've seen (outside of the PNW) We didn't go out in a boat but looking down from the end of the dock, you could see every blade of grass on the bottom. Gorgeous.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:41 pm

I have seen pictures at Aguamilpa of guys with fly gear holding their catch. In both pictures it looked like tilapia that they caught, not bass.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:02 pm

i've never known large mouth to be caught as much as small mouth on fly poppers. what about surface lures at aguamilpa?
but back to the op-i have seen very few fish rising on chapala-hense the suggestion for a sinking line if you insist on trying fly rod. what do you have for equipment. i used to have a hardy 5 ft. 2 pc and matching real, in ontario, which was great fer fishing the forks of the credit and humber river[caledon], but too short fer open lakes except fer off the dock in the evenings fer rock bass
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:34 am

CheenaGringo wrote:While I am not a fly fisherman, the one lake that I have seen in Mexico where I would be tempted to try spinning gear would be Lake Zirahuen near Patzcuaro in the State of Michoacan:

Some refer to this lake as Mexico's Lake Tahoe and it does have a trout population.  From what I have read, it is one of Mexico's deeper lakes.  It does have a commercial fleet that supplies trout to many of the restaurants in the area and Michoacan Trout has a decent reputation in Mexico. We have tried Michoacan Trout at a restaurant in the area and had to declare the entrees quite good.  

I would guess that there may be some rivers and streams in Northern Mexico that would support fly fishing but I haven't done any research on the subject?  Most rivers, streams and lakes seem to have issues with polution from agricultural runoff.  A quick Google search for "fly fishing in Mexico" seems to pull up mostly information on salt water fishing but I did find this:

A photo album of the area around Lake Zirahuen:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/118146709599975173363/albums/5849314625990282449/5849314942348508274?pid=5849314942348508274&oid=118146709599975173363

Neil, thanks for the memories.

We have stayed at lake Zirahuen a couple times a few years ago. Its the cleanest Lake, I have seen in Mexico and the air is some of the freshest. It does get cold up there though, few years ago first part of May we awoke to frost on the windshield. No problems, just lit a fire in the fireplace and enjoyed breakfast, as the sun was rising. Brought back many memories, smelling the smoke from the fireplace, and being in such a beautiful area of the outdoors.

We were always going to go back and do the around the Lake road, just never seemed to find the time. It would be best to have a high clearance vehicle, if one is going to attempt this though.

Just thought I would mention, that I know there are Largemouth Bass in this Lake, have caught some near shore. I also heard there were smallmouths, and of course the trout. If you are an outdoors person, this would be a great place to check out.

I apologize to the OP for going off track here.

Pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Is it still...no motorized water craft?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Quoting Pescador: "We were always going to go back and do the around the Lake road, just never seemed to find the time. It would be best to have a high clearance vehicle, if one is going to attempt this though."

We drove about 70% of the back road around the lake and they must have improved it since you were last there.  You can see from the video which follows, that the road is paved with bricks.  If you go to the 9:19 mark, you will find yourself at the turnoff to the back road:

As for no motors? We have seen water skiers and parasailing.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:20 pm

[quote="Pescador"]
CheenaGringo wrote:While I am not a fly fisherman, the one lake that I have seen in Mexico where I would be tempted to try spinning gear would be Lake Zirahuen near Patzcuaro in the State of Michoacan:

We have stayed at lake Zirahuen a couple times a few years ago. Its the cleanest Lake, I have seen in Mexico and the air is some of the freshest. It does get cold up there though, few years ago first part of May we awoke to frost on the windshield. No problems, just lit a fire in the fireplace and enjoyed breakfast, as the sun was rising. Brought back many memories, smelling the smoke from the fireplace, and being in such a beautiful area of the outdoors.

We were always going to go back and do the around the Lake road, just never seemed to find the time. It would be best to have a high clearance vehicle, if one is going to attempt this though.

Just thought I would mention, that I know there are Largemouth Bass in this Lake, have caught some near shore. I also heard there were smallmouths, and of course the trout. If you are an outdoors person, this would be a great place to check out.

I apologize to the OP for going off track here.

Pescador

wow pescador-what a great trout site you discovered! makes me drool!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:06 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Quoting Pescador: "We were always going to go back and do the around the Lake road, just never seemed to find the time. It would be best to have a high clearance vehicle, if one is going to attempt this though."

We drove about 70% of the back road around the lake and they must have improved it since you were last there.  You can see from the video which follows, that the road is paved with bricks.  If you go to the 9:19 mark, you will find yourself at the turnoff to the back road:

As for no motors?  We have seen water skiers and parasailing.

Hey Neil,

GREAT video thanks for sharing! Did you use one of those Go- Pro cameras?

We did take the brick road when we came to lake Zirahuen from Santa Clara del Cobre. I do know the turnoff at 9:19 on the video, but this is not the road we started taking. We were at the other end of the Lake and the road is just one lane, but is absolutely beautiful. We did pull in a driveway, of a home where there was no one there and the view of the Lake was just breathtaking. Sad to say, I wasn't smart enough to back up my photos, from years ago, and when my computer crashed I lost many memories.

Neil, if you check your still photos you sent, there is one where there are cabins. One is an A Frame cabin with a GREEN roof. We stayed in the first cabin in that photo. Very close to the cabins, is a dock with Tour boats, but unfortunately they were not operating the times we have been there.

pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:10 pm

wow pescador-what a great trout site you discovered! makes me drool!

Hey Pedro,

Thanks, but I am sure there are many others that found this Lake before I did. If you get the chance though, I hope you can go, reminds me of some of the Lakes near where I came from, MINUS the white stuff.  Very Happy 

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:04 pm

"GREAT video thanks for sharing! Did you use one of those Go- Pro cameras?"

I have been using a Flip Video Cam:
Fly fishing lakeside <a href=Fly fishing lakeside Flip5210" />
mounted on a suction cup bracket in the windshield.  Since the Flip is limited to 2 hours of video, I turn it on and off as I see fit.  The software that came with the camera will then piece together the segments.  I figure that 2 hours of video has too many dead spots and attention spans tend to be short, so I then use the software to make a "Magic Movie" that will usually end up being 10 minutes +/-.  While there is some stabilization mode in the software, I find that it is useful to use the stabilization option once I upload to YouTube.  As luck would have it, Cisco decided to shut down the Flip operation in 2011 and just issued their final warning that they will no longer provide any kind of support.

I have tried using the same suction cup bracket with our larger JVC video cam but it gets too much bounce and vibration from the vehicle.  I realize that the Go Pro has a great reputation for filming action sports and I am looking at that as a replacement.  I have also looked into dash cams manufactured specifically for filming from the vehicle.  In fact, I purchased the following:
Fly fishing lakeside <a href=Fly fishing lakeside Dash_c10" />
But returned it because of the low quality of the video.  Many of these Chinese made cams were developed as "accident cams" for the Russian market and while the resolution if fine for up close, they lack in resolution for the distances you pick up for scenery.  There are some new generation models with higher resolution, better lenses, GPS tracking, remote control, zoom and other better features.  Once I have identified the exceptional models, I plan to compare with Go Pro and then make a decision.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Pescador wrote:wow pescador-what a great trout site you discovered! makes me drool!

Hey Pedro,

Thanks, but I am sure there are many others that found this Lake before I did. If you get the chance though, I hope you can go, reminds me of some of the Lakes near where I came from, MINUS the white stuff.  Very Happy 

i meant the link you posted,pescador,but not the lake. looks like there were many locations fer trout. i may try that lake though.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by briantroy Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:49 am

Great video, Cheena (Neil?). You seem to have a voice of reason on this board and one that I look for when seeking truthiness.
briantroy
briantroy

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:34 am

briantroy wrote:Great video, Cheena (Neil?). You seem to have a voice of reason on this board and one that I look for when seeking truthiness.  
Hmmm....

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 am

viajero wrote:
briantroy wrote:Great video, Cheena (Neil?). You seem to have a voice of reason on this board and one that I look for when seeking truthiness.  
Hmmm....
hmmm,indeed.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:50 am

Pedro wrote:
viajero wrote:
Hmmm....
hmmm,indeed.

Hmmm, indeed, indeed.....reliable, but often times irritable.
But we love him....he's family, you know.    Cheena and Pedro....malcontent siblings.   lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:19 pm

TFF Slainte.............Feliz Navidad..........tis the season my friend! Shocked 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down