INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Estimated Foreign Population in Mexico

+6
brigitte
zenwoodle
Rolly
Ms.Thang
CheenaGringo
espíritu del lago
10 posters

Go down

Estimated Foreign Population in Mexico Empty Estimated Foreign Population in Mexico

Post by espíritu del lago Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:49 am

http://www.gobernacion.gob.mx/es_mx/SEGOB/Con_una_forma_migratoria_vigente_en_2009
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Estimated Foreign Population in Mexico Empty Re: Estimated Foreign Population in Mexico

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:22 pm

espiritu:

Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the last census conducted in 2010? Since your link has a 2009 date, I, for one, would have to question the info contained therein?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Estimated Foreign Population in Mexico Empty Re: Estimated Foreign Population in Mexico

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:25 pm

I still have a sticker on my door from the census 2010.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:30 pm

The only one i could find. If you find a current one feel free to post it
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:41 pm

For as long as I have been following Mexico related forums, there has been speculation as to how many foreigners have relocated to Mexico. In fact, I just read a piece of fiction on TOB where a moderator was claiming 50,000 foreign residents in Puerto Vallarta. Kind of like a member here claiming that they have added 50K seats on the airlines to handle the increased interest in Puerto Vallarta?

While you challenge me to come up with more current figures, I really couldn't care less as we don't go to Mexico to hang out with the foreigners and the fact that they are there hardly influences our decision to visit Mexico!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:39 pm

These don't appear to be census figures. They are counts of people holding valid INM papers -- hence INM numbers.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 pm

I'm here, so that's one and my wife makes it two.
Keep counting  Beer Beer 
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:54 am

SEGOB figures are of people with valid papers so I assume permanente and temporal, it has nothing to do with census not sure about people living here as under tourists papers and going back every 6 months of snow/sun birds--...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:39 am

Sounds like the PV figures might include every foreigner that owns a time share, and of course they would have to have some kind of status to utilize such.  Careyes itself, is almost all foreign owned.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:43 am

The numbers you often hear for PV, Lakeside, and Mexico are simply wild-assed guesses. You'll often hear that there are more than 1M US citizens living in Mexico, which is total baloney. As I recall we used to hear there were 100,000 in Jalisco. If my memory serves me the last Census showed a total of about 40,000 Foreigners in all of Jalisco. Canadians and US made up about 80% of that.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:52 am

David wrote:The numbers you often hear for PV, Lakeside, and Mexico are simply wild-assed guesses.  You'll often hear that there are more than 1M US citizens living in Mexico, which is total baloney.  As I recall we used to hear there were 100,000 in Jalisco.  If my memory serves me the last Census showed a total of about 40,000 Foreigners in all of Jalisco.  Canadians and US made up about 80% of that.

Baloney???....I don't know about that....have you ever been to SuperLake during the daylight hours???     lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:55 am

That's a highly localized phenomenon exacerbated by snow-birds!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:27 pm

David wrote:That's a highly localized phenomenon exacerbated by snow-birds!

Or in Polo or Pancho's view....ameliorated.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:40 pm

Ha!  Here's the link to the 2010 Census summary report.  It is quite interesting.  There are not nearly as many foreigners at Lakeside, Guadalajara, Jalisco, or Mexico as is often touted my the foreign press or local gringos. Read to your heart's content.

http://www.censo2010.org.mx/
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Here's nice summary from Tony Burton @Geo-Mexico: http://geo-mexico.com/?p=4031
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Estimated Foreign Population in Mexico <a href=Estimated Foreign Population in Mexico Att00010" />

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:42 am

In the spring of 2011, there was a newspaper article that said that MX had issued its 1MM resident visa. That was everything except the 180 day visas.

If a kid is born in the US where one or both parents have dual citizenship (MX+US) aren't they considered Mexican citizens also?

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 am

If the kids are registered in Mexico they are Mexicans. Mexico does not recognize double nationality  while in Mexico. If you are a dual  citizen you are a Mexican when in Mexico.

Last edited by brigitte on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:59 am

jrm30655 wrote:In the spring of 2011, there was a newspaper article that said that MX had issued its 1MM resident visa.  That was everything except the 180 day visas.

If a kid is born in the US where one or both parents have dual citizenship (MX+US) aren't they considered Mexican citizens also?

The cencus data show there are about 1M foreigners in Mexico.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:11 pm

brigitte wrote:If the kids are registered in Mexico they are Mexicans. Mexico does not recognize double nationality  while in Mexico. If you are a dual  citizen you are a Mexican when in Mexico.

That is basically semantics. Up until a constitutional reform about 20 years ago, Mexico prohibited dual nationality. It is now allowed. It is pretty much the same way that the USA handles dual nationals. Tacit acceptance.

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:32 pm

Semantics, perhaps, when you get naturalized you have to sign a paper renouncing your nationality while in Mexico, they do not care what you claim when outside of Mexico. Technically when in Mexico you are Mexican period . France prety much looks at it the same way.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 pm

brigitte wrote:Semantics, perhaps, when you get naturalized you have to sign a paper renouncing your nationality while in Mexico, they do not care what you claim when outside of Mexico. Technically when in Mexico you are Mexican period . France prety much looks at it the same way.

That is for foreigners that become Mexicans. My wife was born a Mexican citizen, born in Hermosillo, and acquired US citizenship as an adult. She had to renounce her Mexican citizenship. Years ago Mexico would have stripped her of her Mexican citizenship but that is no longer the case. She delayed applying in the US because of the old law.

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:26 pm

I had the same problem when I moved to the States so I never bothered acquiring the US nationality even after the law changed. In My case women would lose their citizenship but men did not.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down