INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Facebook Go Away?

+14
arbon
joyfull
jrm30655
gringal
Rolly
Pedro
viajero
Axixic
zenwoodle
kipissippi
MexicoPete
Lady Otter Latté
Jim W
CheenaGringo
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Will Facebook Go Away? - Page 3 Empty Re: Will Facebook Go Away?

Post by slainte39 Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:04 am

Trying to get your head around that post early in the morning LOL, is a real challenge.    lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:17 am

Interesting observation, Lady OT.  

The original notion of Facebook, according to the movie about it, was bringing college kids together.  How things morphed into the present incarnation is something that curious minds of the future will probably study.

A certain amount of narcissism is required for many activities:  Getting on a stage in front of a large audience to talk, sing, play an instrument or act in a play are some examples.  Entering politics; definitely.  The end result can be very positive.

It's when the entire focus of one's life is a mirror with only one reflection that someone loses their way.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:21 am

gringal wrote:Interesting observation, Lady OT.  

The original notion of Facebook, according to the movie about it, was bringing college kids together.  How things morphed into the present incarnation is something that curious minds of the future will probably study.

A certain amount of narcissism is required for many activities:  Getting on a stage in front of a large audience to talk, sing, play an instrument or act in a play are some examples.  Entering politics; definitely.  The end result can be very positive.

It's when the entire focus of one's life is a mirror with only one reflection that someone loses their way.
excellent observations,gringal!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 am

"Some psychoanalysts and writers make a distinction between "healthy narcissism" and "unhealthy narcissism"...the healthy narcissist being someone who has a real sense of self-esteem that can enable them to leave their imprint on the world, but who can also share in the emotional life of others."
Simon Crompton, All About Me (London 2007)

It may be unfortunate that Freud coined the term "healthy narcissism" as it implies a continuum that likely isn't real. At the core of a clinical narcissist is self-loathing NOT self-esteem. The narcissist becomes what he/she is essentially because they seek to compensate for a deep-seated belief that they are worthless - a completely unacceptable belief. It is reflected in the teachings of mainstream Christianity (All are sinners, none are acceptable. 'Salvation' lies in a belief in an external 'saviour' and cannot be achieved otherwise.)
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:27 am

...which brings us to the question of what is the difference between a healthy amount of REALITY BASED self esteem and delusion.  I'm stressing "reality based" as opposed to some educational theories that suggest giving all kids a gold star no matter how poor their performance.
And then, they grow up in a state of self-delusion and hit the wall of the merciless real world.  However, in the social media, they can depict themselves any way they wish to, list false information about their achievements and so on, ad infinitum.
 drunk

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:04 pm

I don't know the answer but I am quite sure it is NOT to teach people (children specifically) that they are garbage - were born garbage and will always be garbage unless they believe in some prescribed dogma. I cannot see that having a good result.

The "reality" is that they/we are born valuable - even if the world does not recognize it. That they/we have varying talents across a spectrum of degrees of ability and there is joy to be found in nurturing and developing those talents.

Maybe THAT is the key: the "joy" rather than the ego-stroke. I don't know that it is even self-esteem. The joy of sharing one's talents should be sufficient, don't you think? Is it necessary that the expression of those talents result in a "reflection of glory" back onto the person sharing?

Like I said, my thoughts are only starting to come together on this. What I lack in answers I make up for in questions.

Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Totally an aside but I am reminded of this meme.

Will Facebook Go Away? - Page 3 Echo_a10

You get it or you don't.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3