INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LCS Library

+8
gringal
slainte39
elehne1
Axixic
JayBear
Zedinmexico
arbon
CHILLIN
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LCS Library Empty LCS Library

Post by CHILLIN Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 am

I was curious - does the LCS accept, and relend, 'bootleg' DVD movies, MP3's and DRM stripped ebooks?
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

LCS Library Empty Re: LCS Library

Post by arbon Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:37 am

CHILLIN wrote:I was curious - does the LCS accept, and relend, 'bootleg' DVD movies, MP3's and DRM stripped ebooks?

They were selling Oscar movie DVD sets recently, but that might be confidential information.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Some they may be able to use but probably not due to the fact we use US region disks and these will not be.  Now I am sure they will take them and sell them or donate them to appropriate folks. We don't waste anything.  Old magazines go to Mexican art programs at the schools and unwanted books go to school libraries locally. No idea about e-books.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:35 pm

A friend who volunteered ran the LCS video library a few years ago cleaned out all the bootleg films, and so far as I know, they ONLY order and accept donated films bought from legit services now.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:14 pm

I dunno - I had a friend ask me if I could duplicate a DVD he borrowed from LCS and it was a snap because it was a bootleg - no copy protection and size reduced to fit on a 4.7 GB DVDR. The disk had a label affixed and kind of looked legit - maybe it got missed in the "purge".
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elehne1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Does anyone know if the LCS accepts book donations?

elehne1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:01 pm

As long as you don't designate how they are to be used.
Ooops, I just bit my tongue.     Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elehne1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:18 pm

slainte39 wrote:As long as you don't designate how they are to be used.
Ooops, I just bit my tongue.     Very Happy

Thank you. Very Happy 

elehne1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:06 am

Yes books are very wanted. If not used in Library they go to the Sales room to raise money for the library. If not sold they are donated to local school libraries. We don't waste anything book wise. Fiction is more valuable than non-fiction to our customers in the magazine/book sales room FYI which was not true a few years ago.  Change in demand I guess.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elehne1 Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:10 am

Zedinmexico wrote:Yes books are very wanted. If not used in Library they go to the Sales room to raise money for the library. If not sold they are donated to local school libraries. We don't waste anything book wise. Fiction is more valuable than non-fiction to our customers in the magazine/book sales room FYI which was not true a few years ago.  Change in demand I guess.

Thank you Zed!

elehne1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:15 am

Zedinmexico wrote:Yes books are very wanted. If not used in Library they go to the Sales room to raise money for the library. If not sold they are donated to local school libraries. We don't waste anything book wise. Fiction is more valuable than non-fiction to our customers in the magazine/book sales room FYI which was not true a few years ago.  Change in demand I guess.

Or, the non-fiction books selected were of little or no general interest. I wondered "what were they thinking" when I saw the new books non-fictions selections in the past few years.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:38 am

With e-books so readily available is the LCS library even relevent anymore?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:44 am

viajero wrote:With e-books so readily available is the LCS library even relevent anymore?

....which is the very issue I'm banging the drum on incessantly. $63,000 plus interest is in a fund specifically designated for "English library books and equipment", sitting in a bank since 2009 with no active program at LCS for setting up an ebook function for the benefit of the members who are switching to those ebook readers.

E-books ARE readily available, but they certainly aren't free, and therefore, not affordable by many people. Amazon is collecting a good chunk of my disposable income. I can afford that at present, but many people can't. Why not have that ebook lending library available as part of LCS membership?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 am

Actually you can get free e-books easily on the "pirate" sites. Just like movies and music.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:57 am

gringal wrote:

E-books ARE readily available, but they certainly aren't free,
Actually they can be free,I have access to my daughter's LA City library account,my son's in San Francisco and my brother's in Orange County,tens of thousands of books just a click of the mouse away,I'm in reader's heaven!

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:01 am

CanuckBob wrote:Actually you can get free e-books easily on the "pirate" sites. Just like movies and music.

Some folks, especially those working in fields where royalties are part of their livelihood, have ethical objections to using pirate sites for any purpose.  It's theft, like any other copyright infringement. Just because we can, doesn't mean we ought to.  But, whatever. pirat 
There are legit sources of ebooks out of copyright, for free.  So they aren't today's best sellers.  They are still good books worth reading.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:08 am

gringal wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Actually you can get free e-books easily on the "pirate" sites. Just like movies and music.

Some folks, especially those working in fields where royalties are part of their livelihood, have ethical objections to using pirate sites for any purpose.

Jeje......no they go buy the pirated DVD's & CD's at the tianguis instead.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:21 am

The worst part is that the College and University students get screwed over so bad in Mexico. The required textbooks are fantastically expensive, even used.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 pm

viajero wrote:With e-books so readily available is the LCS library even relevent anymore?

You may be hip and aware but many folks are not. LCS is very relevant to many folks who do not want or possess technology.
Please don't assume knowledge. I deal with these folks everyday believe me they don't have the knowledge and also for the most part do not
want to learn something new and they are all on Yahoo laugh out loud. I also prefer books to any electronic reader at this point in my life.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:17 pm

“Though e-books are rising in popularity, print remains the foundation of Americans’ reading habits. Most people who read e-books also read print books, and just 4% of readers are “e-book only.”

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/01/16/e-reading-rises-as-device-ownership-jumps/
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:“Though e-books are rising in popularity, print remains the foundation of Americans’ reading habits. Most people who read e-books also read print books, and just 4% of readers are “e-book only.”

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/01/16/e-reading-rises-as-device-ownership-jumps/
I live in Mexico,please tell me where I can find a good selection of English language books in print here at affordable prices.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 pm

I read only print books (although I have a tablet and a Kindle). I am never without a good book to read. Friends and I trade books (with the right friends, this is your best source), I check out Magana Cafe´s book exchange regularly, visit thrift stores, and LCS Library. I am waiting for a book I absolutely must read now to jump into e-reading.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:

You may be hip and aware but many folks are not.  LCS is very relevant to many folks who do not want or possess technology.
Please don't assume knowledge. I deal with these folks everyday believe me they don't have the knowledge and also for the most part do not
want to learn something new and they are all on Yahoo laugh out loud. I also prefer books to any electronic reader at this point in my life.
Zed,if you want to limit your reading to whatever printed books you can find at Lakeside,that's your problem and if those folks can access and navigate Yahoo they should'nt have a problem down loading an e-book,I'm a complete computer dummy and that hasn't stopped me.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:I read only print books (although I have a tablet and a Kindle). I am never without a good book to read. Friends and I trade books (with the right friends, this is your best source), I check out Magana Cafe´s book exchange regularly, visit thrift stores, and LCS Library. I am waiting for a book I absolutely must read now to jump into e-reading.
I used to drive in from Guadalajara to buy books at the places you mentioned,LOL,not anymore,just the account at the LA library I have access to allows me to borrow for free from a collection of over 50000 titles.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:52 pm

They have a pretty good selection of hard cover books for sale, cheap, at the LCS book sales room next to the office.

I'm an avid reader and like both kinds of books. Ereaders are great if you're going on a vacation and don't want to lug the heavy bag with the hardcovers in it. At that point it's Hurray for Kindle!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next