INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Security

+12
Chapalagringa
brigitte
SunshineyDay
Grizzy
hockables
CheenaGringo
gringal
saege007
CanuckBob
slainte39
Seventyseven
Newfhugger
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Home Security Empty Home Security

Post by Newfhugger Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:39 pm

A neighbor was over today helping me with some painting and when he saw my back wall he expressed concern about someone coming onto the property from the back. I'd guess the wall is 8 feet tall from my side - perhaps from the other side it is taller, I don't know.

He suggested putting up razor wire - said a lot of people are doing that recently. The rest of my walls are fine but I have worried a bit about the height of that wall and the security.

That said, I have read that anyone wanting to get in will just toss a blanket over the wire and crawl on over.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? It is just maybe a 10 meter area.

Newfhugger

Back to top Go down

Home Security Empty Re: Home Security

Post by Seventyseven Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:35 am

They can get over easy with a blanket. Electric wire is more effective. But for now, this will keep some people out.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:43 am

It all depends on how motivated the b&e people are.  Good ones can gets into museums and top of the line jewelry establishments for high end thefts. Don't flaunt, display, or talk about your valuables to anyone, and that will be more effective than razored concertina wire.
The wire will keep out the less motivated ones, but if you have a lot of valuable "things", the wire won't stop them.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfhugger Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 am

I had read that with a blanket it was easy - so was weighing that against how UGLY it would look. Plus, I inherited a cat with the property and it likes to hang out on that back wall.

No worries about flaunting all my valuables! Most valuable thing to me is the dog. The neighborhood is right in town near the plaza and most neighbors are Mexican who have lived here for years and years. I've been told that will be VERY helpful

Newfhugger

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:28 am

You could build the wall 4' higher with those glass blocks. Makes jumping over much more difficult and it still allows light in. Far more ecstatically pleasing than the razor wire.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:16 pm

Boy couldn't resist this one Bob....
Do you get ecstatic over esthetics??? lol!
....and it's razor wire to boot.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Newfhugger wrote:A neighbor was over today helping me with some painting and when he saw my back wall he expressed concern about someone coming onto the property from the back.  I'd guess the wall is 8 feet tall from my side - perhaps from the other side it is taller, I don't know.

He suggested putting up razor wire  - said a lot of people are doing that recently.  The rest of my walls are fine but I have worried a  bit about the height of that wall and the security.  

That said, I have read that anyone wanting to get in will just toss a blanket over the wire and crawl on over.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?  It is just maybe a 10 meter area.

Your neighbor is right. He put in razor wire on my parents lower wall, too. Honestly, I don't even notice it is there. It's an inexpensive deterrent. When I was at a meeting recently with the Police Chief (Ramon del Arco), he said it is really up to the individuals to put the proper deterrents in place. Bars, razor wire, etc. The police can only protect so much, and that while a B&E can happen anywhere, it's that much less likely to happen if the wire is up there. It's usually grab and go thievery and one more obstacle will keep them out.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:45 pm

I was a little tempted by the "ecstasy", but slapped my hand and resisted.
(giggle).
It didn't take us long to get the iron guy over to fill in our gaps after someone went over our wall and created havoc.  Do what you can, folks, and remember that the thieves go for the easy ones first.  And of course, for the ones they have reason to believe have something in there worth stealing. Keep the bling not so visible. The "help" is ofter "helpful" in informing their thieving relatives, whether they intend to or not.  And off they go, often with copies of the keys their naive employers provide them with.

In other words, never mind how lovable your help is. Those gangbanger kids are all "angels" to their mamas, who will cry up a storm at the police station, even when caught red handed. Happened to friends of mine whose goodies were cleaned out. Watch your assets .........or lose them. Also, that razor wire works better than plain old barbed wire, according to reports.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:24 pm

slainte39 wrote:Boy couldn't resist this one Bob....
Do you get ecstatic over esthetics??? lol!
....and it's razor wire to boot.

Damn that autocorrect............ Home Security 87465 
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:26 pm

I just figured it was Canuck speak generated by a Canadian who isn't allowed to smile!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:29 pm

I guess you figured wrong.......... razberry 
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Seventyseven wrote:They can get over easy with a blanket. Electric wire is more effective. But for now, this will keep some people out.

lol.... I'd love to watch U try it...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:31 pm

What other security do you have? Bars on windows, good locks, motion sensor lights? What do the neighbors have? As someone posted above, are youthe easiest target on the block? What is behind the wall you are considering barbed wire for? A neighbor, business, empty lot?
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Folks you may be looking at this backwards. The target is in the mind of the perp. No security can also mean NOTHING to steal while lots of security means you have ALOT to offer.

Just Saying

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Maybe in your mind but I can tell you that lately the houses that have been hit in the neighborhood are the house without alarm or real security. The thieves go where it is easier unless they have something in mind because they have noticed it before or know where it is because they have had access to the house in the past.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:45 pm

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Do not publicize what you have!

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:16 pm

I agree with Bob, it'll be easier to build that back wall up and install razor wire, then grow some bumgambilia into it. Unless you prefer cactus. We have high walls and razor wire and I don't regret it at all. The other option would be to install chain link or bars on top of the wall adding height and then add razor wire on top. I can imagine someone throwing a blanket over and hopping over at 8 ft. If you have a higher wall than odds are great at breaking an ankle or leg from falling down into your yard or landing in something thorny, then they'll look for a house that's easier to get into. Compare your back wall with the highest back wall in your neighborhood and make sure your back wall isn't one of the lowest.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:05 pm

I think one of easiest security measures is to update your locks. Nothing says you are serious about security than new locks. A scrappy old Phillips deadbolt or padlock can be picked in 6 seconds. The crime is reported as no visual sign of entry, which may or may not give you problems. You want the new locks with the laser barrel key. Here is a website with brands available in Mexico.
http://www.herrajessanjuan.com.mx/productos/catalogo.php?IdCategoria=42&Categoria=Cerraduras+de+Sobreponer
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Actually I said to build the back wall up and forget the razor wire. I would have to be very hard pressed to have that wire around any fence I owned. I absolutely hate the look of it and would probably sell the property if I had to take those measures. I would just as soon buy in a gated community if I was that concerned. I have good bars on all the windows and doors to my casa. I also have Rosie "the killer" pitbull and Chico "the mangler" Chihuahua patrolling my yard. That is good enough for me.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChula Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Are those being reported on Lakeside crime?

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Safe bet CB - doubt highly that any LCS members will be climbing your back wall! They are probably more worried about you and your wild parties.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Just sayin, i didn't write that you recommended installing razor wire, only that i agreed in the addition of building up the wall.  I've written it before, to each their own with regards to home security, it's personal.  We didn't have razor wire in Guadalajara or in the village, our wall to wall neighbors were enough in Guadalajara, we had a mini weiner dog back then, hehe and in the village, well, there's no where to add razor wire, it was a matter of locks and lighting.  Living out where we do now, it's not worth it to me to be a sitting duck wondering if we'll be picked off next and then having to do something to improve our home security after there's been a problem.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Oh I do understand. I just wouldn't live in an area or own a property where I had to use that razor wire. It really reminds me of a prison yard. If I wanted that look I would have robbed banks for a living.....jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:48 am

I use concertina razor wire in places were needed. It really isn't that noticeable.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:30 am

MexicoPete wrote:I use concertina razor wire in places were needed. It really isn't that noticeable.

It may be an effective deterrent, but honestly, it makes a place resemble a maximum security prison. It takes some time to get those bougies tall enough to cover it.

How about that electrified wire? Any experience with it out there?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next