INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Mexicans know when an earthquake is coming

+4
rs6000
CHILLIN
TrueBrit
Kiri
8 posters

Go down

How Mexicans know when an earthquake is coming  Empty How Mexicans know when an earthquake is coming

Post by Kiri Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:27 am

MEXICO CITY shook and rattled on April 18th, as a 7.2-magnitude earthquake sent people scurrying under tables for shelter. Tremors are a frequent scare for the city’s 20m or so residents, who experience dozens of small shudders a year. But the panic is lessened by the fact that people know the earthquake is coming a couple of minutes before the ground starts to tremble. Before this month’s big rumble, many Mexicans had already filed outside to await the wobble in safety, away from falling ceilings. Nowhere else in the world is able to forecast earthquakes in this way. How do the Mexicans do it? - See more at: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/04/economist-explains-14#sthash.P8FaBe3y.dpuf
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

How Mexicans know when an earthquake is coming  Empty Re: How Mexicans know when an earthquake is coming

Post by Guest Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:17 am

Animals can serve as an early warning system as well if heeded.

Back to top Go down

How Mexicans know when an earthquake is coming  Empty Re: How Mexicans know when an earthquake is coming

Post by TrueBrit Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:46 pm

If I heeded my dogs' behavior as warning signs, I would spend day and night out in the street.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:07 pm

What I don't get is this some sort of siren, public address system, bell? Do they have practice drills?
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rs6000 Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:23 pm

There is an early warning system that pages cell phones , they have stations on ocean the shore that detect earthquakes as early as 1 minute.
Check : http://skyalert.com.mx/

rs6000

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:54 pm

It can't be that much of an early warning system - it happened on April 18th and I am just finding out about it.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm

We had a 4.0 in Oregon and the dogs were upset for about 20/30 seconds before the rumbling started. I than figured out what they were trying to tell me.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:36 pm

when we got the 6.9 a couple of months ago, the house creaking and cacking is what woke me up, not any kind of emergency system and same with all of my neighbors.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:We had a 4.0 in Oregon and the dogs were upset for about 20/30 seconds before the rumbling started.

Unless the epicenter was two feet under our house, our dog wouldn't bother to raise its head at a 4.0.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 pm

How Mexicans know when an earthquake is coming ...
the Cruz Roja put on a fund drive.

(10 more tickets available!)
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:10 am

Rosa Venus wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:We had a 4.0 in Oregon and the dogs were upset for about 20/30 seconds before the rumbling started.

Unless the epicenter was two feet under our house, our dog wouldn't bother to raise its head at a 4.0.

To be honest these were work dogs (Dobie and Boceron sp) and quite tuned to everything. I am not saying my Newfoundland would have waken up either:-)

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:05 am

Beauceron, they come from an area called La Beauce, a large fertile plain around Paris wih very large farms-It is one of th richest agricultural area in France, a large plain without any trees.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:29 am

brigitte wrote:Beauceron, they come from an area called La Beauce, a large fertile plain around Paris wih very large farms-It is one of th richest  agricultural area in France, a large plain without any trees.

Thank You.... It was a wonderful dog. We saved it from a bad military history. He tamed down wonderfully but it was a dog you respected. No baby talk like dealing with a lab or such. Most proud smartest dog I have ever met. Kinda dog that was perfectly safe but you didn't reach down to pet unless you asked first.
I miss him still. I consider myself lucky for having one. He died in my arms.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down