INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friend's bill fold stolen on Chapala Malecon yesterday

+2
hound dog
simpsca
6 posters

Go down

Friend's bill fold stolen on Chapala Malecon yesterday Empty Friend's bill fold stolen on Chapala Malecon yesterday

Post by simpsca Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:18 am

A friend of mine was walking on the Chapala Malecon yesterday when this happened: I had my billfold stolen yesterday on the malecon in Chapala, they surrounded me and cut me off from Tom, all pretty scarey,,,actually I was so pissed

During holidays like Mardi Gras we get lots of out of towners especially on a Sunday. So be careful everyone. She was walking with her man friend, just be a group effort.

Last edited by simpsca on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Friend's bill fold stolen on Chapala Malecon yesterday Empty Re: Friend's bill fold stolen on Chapala Malecon yesterday

Post by hound dog Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:50 am

While we are in San Cristóbal de Las Casas for the winter/spring season, we have the same problem here that folks in Chapala are experiencing on the malecon. Here it is the pedestrian jammed Andador and Calle Real de Guadalupe where one must be ever vigilant and carry any wallet or purse with great care. One must be especially careful during the "carnaval" season which is a huge celebration in the Chiapas Highlands as thieves and pickpockets are all about mingling with locals in a celebratory mood. To make matters worse, in densely populated Chiapas, it is not unusual to have other pedestrians constantly brushing into one without so much as a mumbled expression of regret so inadvertent contact with others strolling the streets is commonplace and that is a favorite technique of pickpockets, especially if they spot an obvious "extranjero". These days, I make it a point to carry only the amount of cash and any documents I may need on the spot in my wallet while strolling the crowded streets here or along the Chapala malecon. It´s too easy to have one´s attention temporarily diverted and those guys are good at their trade.

Since we achieved "inmigrado" status after ten years of hassle in Chapala and Guadalajara, I make it a point to never have my inmigrado card or passport with me when I walk the streets unless they are needed for that particular errand. I also long ago made it a point to have three bank accounts so two debit cards remain hidden and not on my person in the event of theft. That way we are not in a jam if any one debit card is stolen. It is also a good idea to have driver´s licenses from two separate Mexican states if possible only one of which is on your person at any given time so you can continue to drive even if your wallet is stolen.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Friend's bill fold stolen on Chapala Malecon yesterday Empty Re: Friend's bill fold stolen on Chapala Malecon yesterday

Post by simpsca Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Good advice Dawg. She is so new here I hope she didn't have anything in her wallet except money.

I have a Mexican God-daughter and was going to take her to the last day of Mardi Gras in Chapala Tuesday. But that is out now.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:31 pm

The best place to carry your important stuff is in a money belt under your outer garments when you go to a crowded event. Short of that, a shoulder strap purse crossing your chest. I always wonder what people are thinking when they wear a "fanny pack" on their fannies, or even a backpack.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:46 pm

I ran into the couple, they asked me where the police station was, said they has slit a hole in her bag to steal her billfold or something like that.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:06 pm

And yes, she had her bank cards and DIF card with her. I have been trying to teach her the ropes - where to pay electric and what kind of phone plan to have, but she has been very busy moving into her new house. So she learned this lesson the hard way.

There should be a seminar called "Newbies 101".
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Don't realy need to call it newbies 101, just common sence 101
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 pm

martygraw wrote:Don't realy need to call it newbies 101, just common sence 101

common sense
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:59 am

simpsca wrote:
martygraw wrote:Don't realy need to call it newbies 101, just common sence 101

common sense

It really is not all that common.
Peter
Peter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic

http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:38 am

Just FYI,

When she calmed down and told me the whole story, she said it was a group of women (originally she said a bunch of people and I assumed guys). Any way I'm posting these details so you know what to look out for, "there was one woman in front of me that cut me off from my friend then would not let me pass, two other women behind me kept shoving and pushing into me then another woman with a baby stroller cut off the path also, I knew something was happening but did not know what"
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down