INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tinaca 101

+7
brigitte
CanuckBob
Zedinmexico
Pedro
sparks
David
bonjon42
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tinaca 101 Empty Tinaca 101

Post by bonjon42 Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 am

I'm trying to understand the working of the tinaca on our roof. Do they need to be cleaned out and, if so, how often?
We are currently NOB (after our 1st 6 months in Ajijic) and I am shocked at the improved appearance of our clothes after washing them here plus the "clean" feel of my hair after shampooing. I realize that Ajijic has very hard water but they also have hard water where we are staying. Is it because of the tinaca?
And a related question....I realize that purified water improves the "drinkability" of water in the house but does it also improve the "cleaning ability" of the water?
Sorry if these questions are on the stupid side but I have never lived with this type of system before! flag waver

bonjon42
bonjon42

Back to top Go down

Tinaca 101 Empty Re: Tinaca 101

Post by David Wed May 06, 2015 8:57 am

It's TinacO. Do you have a water purification and softening system?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by bonjon42 Wed May 06, 2015 9:04 am

Thank you for the spelling correction David!!!!! No, there is no water purification system.
bonjon42
bonjon42

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed May 06, 2015 9:08 am

A water purification system and softener will make a huge difference and eliminate the need for bottled water. Your tinaco may also need cleaning.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Wed May 06, 2015 9:12 am

For cleaning .... have someone look inside
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed May 06, 2015 9:33 am

Good place to start!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed May 06, 2015 1:00 pm

whitey got the hiccups but more important than being a noun is that it is a water storage unit that needs cleaning "inside" periodically.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:57 am

Agree with David. Pleated paper filter, Carbon (charcoal) block filter, UV light than feed into a soft water system. Best money I ever spent! Yes the tanks need to be cleaned. A trick to keep crud from tank from entering system is raise pickup off bottom of tank three or four inches.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:02 am

On my large cisterna in the ground I can adjust the pickup (pichancha) higher or lower but Tinacos have their outflow built into the side of the tank. Cisterna works with a pump and Tinaco works with gravity
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:36 am

sparks is correct as this pic shows. it also needs a breather pipe well above the top of the tinaco or you will have overflow problems. speaking from experience.
Tinaca 101 Tinaco10
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:14 am

I know people that have both an aljibe and a tinaco. Why would one have the tinaco when a small pressure tank will do a far better job, isn't an eyesore and probably costs about the same?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:35 am

we have both and all the ajibe needs is a pump to get it to the tinaco but since we got a new larger tinaco we don't even use the other. the city water get's pumped to both. a pressure tank system such as is used on a well NOB is way more expensive and then there's maintenance costs and extra power. tinaco needs nothing other than cleaning once in a while and it ain't no eyesore when the vast majority of smart homeowners in mexico have one and in any event, who looks at roof tops.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:38 am

Eletricity used to be out more than it is now and having a tinaco was the only way to continue having water.
I do not have a tinaco in Chiapas only a aljibe and I sure miss the tinaco. No electricity no water with aljibe only.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:40 am

You are incorrect Pedro. We have a pressure tank system and the pump doesn't work any more than a tinaco system (I have had both). The pressure tank is about 2 feet round and 3 feet high. Easy to hide and not that expensive. There is no maintenance what so ever.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:43 am

Brigitte, our power has only been out 3 times in the 2 1/2 years we have lived here in Centro Ajijic. It hasn't been a concern at all otherwise I would get a small generator.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:58 am

there is no pump in a tinaco,it's gravity that's why it's on the roof. that's another reason you don't have to worry about power outage. our power bill is  averaging 400p per 2 months because we ain't running no pumps fer one thing. and not that we care what it looks like but our tinaco is behind a louvered door and has a roof over it.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:06 pm

80% of the time here we have NOB type street pressure and valves send it thru the house. Only uses gravity from Tinaco the other 20%. A pressure pump would sit unused most of the time. Only use the cisterna pump when we've had no water for a couple weeks
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:26 am

I don't trust the pipe connections and some of the faucets that I have. Some of these connections are embedded in the concrete walls. If a high pressure system were to cause these to leak then I would have a major problem

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:06 am

Pedro wrote:there is no pump in a tinaco,it's gravity that's why it's on the roof. that's another reason you don't have to worry about power outage. our power bill is  averaging 400p per 2 months because we ain't running no pumps fer one thing. and not that we care what it looks like but our tinaco is behind a louvered door and has a roof over it.

Really??? I have lived in two houses that pumped the water from an aljibe to the tinaco on the roof........don't assume that every house is like yours Pedro. Hence my question (which you obviously don't have the answer too).......why would anyone have both an aljibe and a tinaco when a pressure tank would be so much more efficient.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:24 am

here in chapala the water is pumped up to our tinaco directly from the town infrastructure -the pressure is theirs. our ajibe gets the overflow as needed[check valve] to keep it full, and is for emergencies only and we turn our pump on manually if the tinaco for some reason gets emptied. a few years ago the pipe to our house broke on the street. and our ajibe is large enough to hold 3 weeks of water which we pumped up to our tinaco so that we got our normal gravity feed from the tinaco. your situation was unnecessary and it could have been plumbed the way ours is. no need for a pressure tank in a standard gravity water system. we can hear the water coming to our tinaco from the street being pumped up 25 feet. why would anyone bother pumping up 24/7 from an ajibe when the city graciously defies gravity with their pumps, directly into the tinaco? back atcha since i have answered you in spades.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:53 am

Again you seem to only know of your own situation and speak like it is the only way. The two houses I am referring to were on well systems not municipal. There was a pump between the aljibe and the tinaco.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:57 am

Our aljibe filled from the street. The pressure system served the house and maintained a full tinaco. The tinaco only released water to the house in cases where there was no pressure, such as power outages or no water from the street. Therefore, the tinaco was only an emergency back-up.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:13 pm

What RVGRINGO said is exactly how the aljibe plus tinaco work in my house. It's a luxury having both. The Tinaco is "water insurance" during a sustained power outage or other mayhem.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Thank you for answering the question RV & Rosa. Now I understand why someone would add the tinaco along with a pressure tank. Personally I would rather forgo the water during a power outage to keep the eyesore off my roof though.........just saying.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:20 pm

Back in 2009 the pump serving the Haciendas went out and it 10 days or so to get parts for repair. Many of our neighbors have only a tinaco and had to buy water for delivery. We have a aljibe, tinaco, pressure system and purification system. I think 2 pumps......I've never been on the roof.....fear of heights....LOL.

When they finally got it repaired we still had plenty of water. The down side is the pumps burn a lot of power, which makes CFE happy!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: