INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making my list and checking it twice !

+17
juanrey
brigitte
Lady Otter Latté
hockables
pamarie
mattoleriver
tictoc
Pedro
Rosa Venus
David
viajero
Intercasa
CanuckBob
RVGRINGO
sparks
gringal
Woody
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Making my list and checking it twice ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Making my list and checking it twice !

Post by mattoleriver Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:Thanks for that tictoc. I´m far too lazy to pro-actively close an account as benign as a library card, so maybe I´ll look into it, if I ever buy an e-reader!
It would be crazy for your library to loan books that are not compatible with Kindle. Amazon has free Kindle apps for just about anything with a screen. With the appropriate app you could read on a tablet, phone, laptop, etc. No e-reader required. I would not be too surprised if Nook, or others, had similar apps.

mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Making my list and checking it twice ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Making my list and checking it twice !

Post by Woody Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:14 pm

Update:  One step closer to making the move in Septiembre. We got our Residente Temporal visa approvals in our passports now. The Seattle consulate was good to work with even though it took us 3 trips to get it all squared away. Looking forward to the adventure !

Cheers everyone !

Beer
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:16 pm

Congrats and we will see you soon.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:29 pm

I would say bring a good convection toaster oven because it's cheaper than purchasing it around here I suspect, most of the Mexico rentals seem to not have broiler ovens in them, so if you want to broil a steak for example you may not be able to do it. Perhaps though I am wrong since I'm a newbie to Lakeside myself. What I did was; I brought a new convection toaster oven purchased at Costco to bring with me and gave it away when I moved into the rental I'm living in now because there wasn't room for it in the kitchen before realizing I didn't have a broiler in the oven. I gave it to the maid and didn't want to take it back. I plan to purchase a grilling appliance at some point to use in place of not having a broiler but it's not that big a deal for me as I have use of an outdoor grill in the meantime. Also an oven temperature gage is useful to bring as well because on my stove there is no gage to put the temp at for baking or roasting things. I also bought that to bring given the advice on this forum.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:39 pm

pamarie wrote:I would say bring a good convection toaster oven because it's cheaper than purchasing it around here I suspect, most of the Mexico rentals seem to not have broiler ovens in them, so if you want to broil a steak for example you may not be able to do it. Perhaps though I am wrong since I'm a newbie to Lakeside myself.  What I did was; I brought a new convection toaster oven purchased at Costco to bring with me and gave it away when I moved into the rental I'm living in now because there wasn't room for it in the kitchen before realizing I didn't have a broiler in the oven.  I gave it to the maid and didn't want to take it back. I plan to purchase a grilling appliance at some point to use in place of not having a broiler but it's not that big a deal for me as I have use of an outdoor grill in the meantime. Also an oven temperature gage is useful to bring as well because on my stove there is no gage to put the temp at for baking or roasting things.  I also bought that to bring given the advice on this forum.    

Pam...
As soon as you settle in and have a chance to see your new surroundings,
you might find eating out is often close to the same cost of eating in.
Friends had gone three years eating out before they bought a range for their kitchen...
When I first heard that, I thought they were kidding... they weren't.

Most of the cooking we do at home is out on the patio...BBQ Beer

yer gonna love it here...

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:02 pm

there are no broilers in these mexican ovens but who needs them when you can bbq with real mesquite charcoal any time you want. an electric toaster oven is handy fer things like cheese dreams and toasting hot dog and hamburger buns. you can buy that here. most of these ovens here have a glass front and a light inside so's ya kin see what's going on and the knob does have temp in celsius unless the stove is so old that one would wonder how it's still working. never had to use a temp gauge separately so far. if yer recipes are sea level ya gotta adjust them to this elevation. water boils quicker fer example at a lower temp.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:29 pm

There are broilers here. I have a wall oven with a broiler underneath.

Making my list and checking it twice ! - Page 2 Dsc06710
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:52 pm

that's pretty rare,bob. most stoves around here look like this with no broiler.
Making my list and checking it twice ! - Page 2 Bob_s_10
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:10 pm

My house has a six-burner stove with griddle top that sits over the middle two burners plus a broiler in the oven. Guess I am just lucky the owners sprang for a upper-end model.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:23 pm

My oven unit was purchased at Tio Sams and has it all:  Broiler and the whole works.  Nothing rare about it.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:45 pm

i've been in a lot of homes, ferner and mexican, and almost all of them had a stove like ours. that space in the old counter was already there but the stove was black so we gave it to one of the workers and bought this one at tio sams ta fit the hole. have never really found a use fer a broiler,in any event. hardly used it in canucklehead land either. except when i couldn't be bothered bbq'ing ribs when it was -40c outside which ain't gonna happen here. so 2 of ya sprung fer mega stoves and 1 lucked into it. a survey outside of web boards and amongst mexicans would be interesting-SNORK!
as to rarity at tio sams gringall,when we went there appliance shopping 9 years ago the type of stove we have outnumbered the type you bought.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:05 pm

You are lucky Lady Otter, cause all the ovens in the suites in the place where I am living are like the one Pedro posted above. Much smaller stovetop and smaller size oven, but for my purposes it will work fantastic. Perhaps where OP rents they will let you have a better stove range if you chip in for it if it matters to you. Seems the landlords in this area are very accommodating and want longer term renters so will try to accommodate reasonable requests. Thats only my impression though, thus far. Take what I say with a grain of salt cause I'm brand new here myself.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:09 pm

Cbob, your wall oven looks tiny to me, not big enough to put a 14 lbs turkey in and the broiler also looks very tiny. Is it small or is it just the photo and my small laptop screen fooling me?

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:19 pm

Pedro wrote: a survey outside of web boards and amongst mexicans would be interesting-SNORK!
Survey says..most ovens in Mexican homes are used to store pots and pans.
No, I'm not kidding,almost everything is cooked on the stovetop.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:26 pm

viajero wrote:
Pedro wrote: a survey outside of web boards and amongst mexicans would be interesting-SNORK!
Survey says..most ovens in Mexican homes are used to store pots and pans.
No, I'm not kidding,almost everything is cooked on the stovetop.
jaja! i think you are correct senor v.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:31 pm

my oven was big enough to do these patos all at once so a 14lb turkey would be no problem and probly no problem in bob's either.
Making my list and checking it twice ! - Page 2 Dos_pa10
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Yes you are right Viajero. Pots and pans are stored in the oven. I do not have one Mexican friend who uses the oven, actually I rarely use it as well but I do have a stove with a broiler and an oven..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:34 pm

viajero wrote:Pedro,those are nice looking ducks,I might have to adopt one of the ducks they're promoting over on tob.
they sound like a bargain for 200p. these cost about 260-80p at puritan or wallyworld. imports from the excited states but maple leaf packers which is canucklehead.
by the way-the rendered duck fat is excellent for doing yorkshire pudding in the [gasp!] oven.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:40 pm

pamarie wrote:Cbob, your wall oven looks tiny to me, not big enough to put a 14 lbs turkey in and the broiler also looks very tiny.  Is it small or is it just the photo and my small laptop screen fooling me?

Your laptop must be fooling you as we have done a 20lb turkey in there.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Yeah it's definitely my small screen. Wow 20 lb turkey!!! Yummy! How did it turn out?

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Pedro wrote:i've been in a lot of homes, ferner and mexican, and almost all of them had a stove like ours. that space in the old counter was already there but the stove was black so we gave it to one of the workers and bought this one at tio sams ta fit the hole. have never really found a use fer a broiler,in any event. hardly used it in canucklehead land either. except when i couldn't be bothered bbq'ing ribs when it was -40c outside which ain't gonna happen here. so 2 of ya  sprung fer mega stoves and 1 lucked into it. a survey outside of web boards and amongst mexicans would be interesting-SNORK!
as to rarity at tio sams gringall,when we went there appliance shopping 9 years ago the type of stove we have outnumbered the type you bought.

I wouldn't doubt it. I ordered mine, but they are readily available. I wanted waist high for my poor old sore back. Rolling Eyes
Seldom use the broiler.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:13 pm

brigitte wrote:Yes you are right Viajero. Pots and pans are stored in the oven. I do not have one Mexican friend who uses the oven, actually I rarely use it as well but I do have a stove with a broiler and an oven..

I like to make casseroles, so I like having an oven big enough to do two at a time. My pots and pans are stored on a hanging rack to make life easy.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:21 pm

gringal wrote:
brigitte wrote:Yes you are right Viajero. Pots and pans are stored in the oven. I do not have one Mexican friend who uses the oven, actually I rarely use it as well but I do have a stove with a broiler and an oven..

I like to make casseroles, so I like having an oven big enough to do two at a time.  My pots and pans are stored on a hanging rack to make life easy.
I was surprised at first by the lack use of ovens here,ours gets plenty of use.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:24 pm

It would seem your friends don't like baking, making casseroles, baked potatoes, breads, etc., etc.. We use our oven all the time. The broiler not so much but it is nice when you do need it.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:52 pm

I like to broil most meats over roasting them but I can just BBQ stuff. I also like to use the broiler for things like cheesy Italian bread & other special recipes that require broiler use at times. I can figure it out other ways but just letting the OP know about most rentals not having a broiler in the oven range or to look for that if it's important to them when they look at rental properties.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:22 am

CanuckBob wrote:Congrats and we will see you soon.

Thanks Bob!!   10 weeks into retirement and loving it !  

Very Happy
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next