INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas prices?

+7
Clueless
Clete
viajero
David
Playaboy
CanuckBob
kipissippi
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gas prices? - Page 2 Empty Re: Gas prices?

Post by slainte39 Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:55 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Slainte, has Pemex ever lowered the price that you are aware of?

Well, let's see.......back in the 80's when we lopped off 3 zeros from our currency there was a drastic reduction in the numbers but not in the value.  lol!   Seems like I remember a $1,000.00 pesos a liter.

In a serious answer, I can't remember an actual reduction in price, as far back as the mid 70's, but there could have been.  As playaboy put it so well, sometimes it's a subsidy and sometimes it's a tax in relation to pricing in the US and other countries.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Here it's the price the Sec'y of Energy want to put on it. They don't mess with anything so complicated as cost + tax + IVA. It's just the price.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Starting Jan 1 foreign oil companies are allowed to own and operate gas stations independent of PEMEX. And in 2017 the price controls come off. Foreign companies are lining up already and making alliances with some of the current PEMEX franchise owners who will be free to choose whether they remain with PEMEX or align with a foreign (or other domestic group) gasoline dealer. Many current franchises belong to associations or unions and are negotiating through these for better deals.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:07 pm

Yikes! But no actual competition until 2017. How will they differentiate themselves?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Clete wrote:Starting Jan 1 foreign oil companies are allowed to own and operate gas stations independent of PEMEX. And in 2017 the price controls come off. Foreign companies are lining up already and making alliances with some of the current PEMEX franchise owners who will be free to choose whether they remain with PEMEX or align with a foreign (or other domestic group) gasoline dealer. Many current franchises belong to associations or unions and are negotiating through these for better deals.
Where did you read that?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:29 pm

David wrote:Yikes!  But no actual competition until 2017.  How will they differentiate themselves?

With a big sign.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:34 pm

viajero wrote:
Clete wrote:Starting Jan 1 foreign oil companies are allowed to own and operate gas stations independent of PEMEX. And in 2017 the price controls come off. Foreign companies are lining up already and making alliances with some of the current PEMEX franchise owners who will be free to choose whether they remain with PEMEX or align with a foreign (or other domestic group) gasoline dealer. Many current franchises belong to associations or unions and are negotiating through these for better deals.
Where did you read that?

You can find the info easily enough in the Mexican press. It's actually old news. I know owners involved in negotiations with PEMEX and foreign companies. PEMEX wants to remain a competitive player on both the retail and wholesale level but is obviously at a disadvantage due to its deservedly poor reputation. The current franchisees are using this fact in negotiating concessions from PEMEX. Foreign companies are offering all kinds of financial incentives plus a more reputable image.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Clete wrote:
viajero wrote:[quote="Clete"
Where did you read that?

You can find the info easily enough in the Mexican press. It's actually old news. I know owners involved in negotiations with PEMEX and foreign companies. PEMEX wants to remain a competitive player on both the retail and wholesale level but is obviously at a disadvantage due to its deservedly poor reputation. The current franchisees are using this fact in negotiating concessions from PEMEX. Foreign companies are offering all kinds of financial incentives plus a more reputable image.
Give me a little help,Clete,and cite a source for me,I haven't seen anything in the Mexican press about this,it would be an interesting development.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Just copy and paste the following in Google and read from many sources.

gasolineras extranjeras mexico 2016 2017

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:01 pm

I understand the "auction" that Pemex held a couple of months ago for private companies and foreign investors to buy their way in yielded very poor results. I don't believe many foreign companies were interested at that time and with the current price of oil and oversupply I don't think many will be interested in the next auction either.

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:16 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I understand the "auction" that Pemex held a couple of months ago for private companies and foreign investors to buy their way in yielded very poor results. I don't believe many foreign companies were interested at that time and with the current price of oil and oversupply I don't think many will be interested in the next auction either.

Two different ball games. Those auctions were for participation in exploration and extraction.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:21 pm

viajero wrote:The problem I have with Pemex stations is that so many of them short you on the litros.
"No son litros de a litro".

I'll admit my ignorance here and ask how they can short you on the litros?

I have seen instances where someone would ask for $250.00 and they would stop the pump and stand in front of it so the driver couldn't see it, another worker would get the $$ and leave. But in one case, the lady driver got out of the car and made the man move and saw the meter has stopped at $200 when she asked for $250.00. The guy pleaded mistake and pumped the remaining $50 (he had not reset the pump).

So how do you get shorted? I will keep an open eye if I know what to look for.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Clete wrote:
Just copy and paste the following in Google and read from many sources.

gasolineras extranjeras mexico 2016 2017
Thanks,that's interesting news.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:23 pm

For members that read Spanish, this is a good article on some of the behind scenes of how the PEMEX pie will be sliced up. We're looking at the same crap that happened years ago with privatization of other large state-owned companies such as the banks, TelMex, the railroads, airports etc.

regeneracion           .mx       /destacado/              corrupcion-en-la-ronda-uno-salinas-higa-y-fondos-extranjeros-beneficiados/

You'll need to remove the spaces in the link posted above for it to work.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Clueless wrote:
viajero wrote:The problem I have with Pemex stations is that so many of them short you on the litros.

I have seen instances where someone would ask for $250.00 and they would stop the pump and stand in front of it so the driver couldn't see it, another worker would get the $$ and leave. But in one case, the lady driver got out of the car and made the man move and saw the meter has stopped at $200 when she asked for $250.00. The guy pleaded mistake and pumped the remaining $50 (he had not reset the pump).

What you describe is a simple scam perpetuated by an employee. That's not what the other poster was speaking of. He means the pump is pumping liters that aren't full liters but charging as if they were. Station owners run that scam and it adds up to mega bucks.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Clueless wrote:

I'm not sure how they do it,but I know my gas gauge,and there's a reason many gas stations have signs promoting"litros de a litro"'

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:26 pm

Clete wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:I understand the "auction" that Pemex held a couple of months ago for private companies and foreign investors to buy their way in yielded very poor results. I don't believe many foreign companies were interested at that time and with the current price of oil and oversupply I don't think many will be interested in the next auction either.

Two different ball games. Those auctions were for participation in exploration and extraction.
That's the way I understood it too.....they produced anemic results for the exploration participation.

Last edited by slainte39 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:31 pm

viajero wrote:
Clueless wrote:

I'm not sure how they do it,but I know my gas gauge,and there's a reason many gas stations have signs promoting"litros de a litro"'

I suppose they "adjust" the calibration some way (like some do to CFE meters). That's what those government or Pemex inspectors are supposed to be checking for.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:51 am

They are calibrated by computer. The software is altered. It is very tricky programming because now all the gasoline delivered and sold is monitored via software and tied directly to SAT computers. All of this was explained to me but I can't all of the details.

Profeco is no longer in charge of enforcement of proper measurement. A couple of years ago that task was assigned to the judiciales.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:41 am

[quote="

Profeco is no longer in charge of enforcement of proper measurement. A couple of years ago that task was assigned to the judiciales. [/quote]

Wonder why the change; Maybe Profeco was actually doing something and the government didn't like that??????

Of course I'm sure there are no stats on it and if there were, would you believe them?

I use to get my knickers in a twist about all the "games" played to rip-off people, Dead Horse not just gringos I'll bet), but now, I just do the best to watch carefully, and consider it just a hidden cost of living in "paradise."
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:01 am

Clueless wrote:[quote="

Profeco is no longer in charge of enforcement of proper measurement. A couple of years ago that task was assigned to the judiciales.

Wonder why the change; Maybe Profeco was actually doing something and the government didn't like that??????

Of course I'm sure there are no stats on it and if there were, would you believe them?

I use to get my knickers in a twist about all the "games" played to rip-off people,  Dead Horse not just gringos I'll bet), but now, I just do the best to watch carefully, and consider it just a hidden cost of living in "paradise."[/quote]

NEW POST.......

Probably because Profeco has a big vista to cover and they wanted quicker compliance and punitive action taken aganst offenders.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:12 am

Clete wrote:

"judiciales"?
Does that refer to the state police judiciales,they don't have a very good reputation.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:38 am

Good question........
I don't know exactly what policing or enforcement body clete is referring too.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:33 pm

viajero wrote:
Clete wrote:

"judiciales"?
Does that refer to the state police judiciales,they don't have a very good reputation.

It is the PGR. They have agents that deal with consumer fraud. They are also checking for stolen gasoline. Tank levels have to coincide with records of sales at the pump vs gasoline purchases from PEMEX.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:49 pm

Your posts have been quite informative Clete. Thanks. I'm looking forward to having some fuel choices.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Milena Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:59 pm

hockables wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:
David wrote:For years we had lower petrol costs here.  Now it's higher but we've got a lower peso.  Do any of you drive enough to care about the cost?  I don't.

The peso isn't lower against the CDN $$ or many other currencies. While I don't really care about the price I was just curious if Pemex has ever lowered the price in relation to oil prices. At some point having fuel costs substantially higher than NOB will begin to affect local economies. No?

With Canadian Exchange Rate it works out to be about $1.05 per litre....   about the same as current Canadian Prices.

$1.05 per liter? Sorry, Hock, you obviously never lived in BC (it doesn't mean Bring Cash for nothin!). Currently $1.21 per liter and that is after a recent drop, it was up to $1.35 not long ago, despite the fact the cost of a barrel remains at all-time lows. And I am in the Okanagan Valley, upcountry. Down around Vancouver it is probably .5c higher. I don't know- I can't afford to drive there.

Milena
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, hedonistic British wit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next