INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surge protectors

+9
hickton
sparks
Kiri
Intercasa
CanuckBob
David
Zedinmexico
dcampbell757
Canada_Mike
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

surge protectors - Page 2 Empty Re: surge protectors

Post by Intercasa Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:17 pm

Here is what I have been buying to protect my equipment from surges and fluctuations

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK?ie=UTF8&ref_=de_a_smtd&showDetailTechData=1#technical-data

Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:CB's is very similar to the ones I was intending to bring down. Does Home Depot deliver?

Only in your dreams. You can find what you need locally at the Steren store.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:18 pm

No, Steren doesn't have the larger ones for protecting appliances. I had one from Steren and it kept tripping the overload switch.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:03 pm

Or a camera and alarm system C.B. so when they cut the juice the cameras and PVR still work. What is inside a UPS depends on models. Some are very fancy like the units that keep phones switch system up and some are pretty lame like the cheap ones. It depends on whats inside.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Here's the drill. Voltage regulator - available from Coppel, Sternen, or Costco if you want quality. Walmart if you don't care. Use for all electronics and major appliances. Then for things you care about add a surge protector, also available from above the stores. If you're using a laptop UPS probably not needed. Nice if you are using a tower. NOB I had a USB with both brownout and spike protection but not really the same as a voltage regulator. Died during the move down.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:04 am

UPS (Battery Backup) units have the absolute best surge protection you can get. Two coils of wire with an air gap. There is nothing going to cross that air gap.

Also note that not all the sockets are surge protected on the less expensive units. You need to make sure you plug into the protected sockets.

From what I'm seeing here on this thread, voltage regulaters are needed as well.

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:06 am

Intercasa wrote:Here is what I have been buying to protect my equipment from surges and fluctuations

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK?ie=UTF8&ref_=de_a_smtd&showDetailTechData=1#technical-data

Looks like a nice unit BUT they don't state how much surge protection they have. Email them and ask them for the number in Joules and if it is less than 500 add a surge protector in front of this unit.  I like the monster ones as they have right on the surge protector the joules rating. Also ground lights and MOV working lights on many models. The one I bought was 3480 joules and also protected your phone and cable/sat coax cables. The monster units were sold at WalMart but lately I have been seeing GE units which did have Joule rating on package.  Don't know anything about units at Sterin.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:17 am

Do understand that UPS batteries are a maintenance items so one must service a UPS over time. Also A good idea to test them once in a while to see that the batteries are OK.  Batteries are available in Guad and easily replaced by tech. So if UPS starts not working for its stated time with so many watts being used you probably should replace the batteries.  I use to take care of a UPS system for a phone switch that had a battery pile the size of a Honda Fit.  UPS are also expensive to buy compared to voltage regulators and surge protection which is why I suggest you use them selectively.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:20 am

RoyD wrote:UPS (Battery Backup) units have the absolute best surge protection you can get. Two coils of wire with an air gap. There is nothing going to cross that air gap.

Also note that not all the sockets are surge protected on the less expensive units. You need to make sure you plug into the protected sockets.

From what I'm seeing here on this thread, voltage regulaters are needed as well.

Roy do you know what the Gap is called???? Does it work like a small transformer??

Interesting never heard of this but it makes sense.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:08 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Isn't a UPS simply a voltage regulator with a battery back-up?

Depends on just how they are built. The cheaper ones, yes.

The better ones have AVC (automatic voltage control) which will shunt a spike to ground and go to backup battery at the same time.

The biggest problem that I've seen is not the drop off of a power outage, it is when the power comes back on. I've seen voltages over 500 volts on a power return. Even the best UPS equipment has a problem with that kind of voltages.

If you watch with brown outs and interruptions, the voltage will go very high momentarily.

I built a drop out relay and put it in line. When the power drops off, it drops out and has to be manually reset. I wait a few minutes until the voltage stabilizes before I go back to the line supply.

I lost 2 SSD drives because of this surge and the dropout relay seems to have cured this problem.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Units have 1,500 joules. I have the smaller units in each room to protect equipment and the bigger ones where there are computers and routers, VOIP, etc.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:53 am

zedinmexico,

I used to know what they called it but my memory doesn't work like it used to. I just know it's the best protection you can get. The batteries do go bad eventually but that does not affect the surge protection in the unit. jrm30655 covered it in his post pretty well. I would like to know what voltage regulators you use down there?

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:48 am

I posted a link to the type of voltage regulator above.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Please, would somebody check out my post under the general thread on "help for the hacked"? I've sort of been "disappeared" and replaced by an alien. Suspect

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:07 pm

RoyD wrote:zedinmexico,

I used to know what they called it but my memory doesn't work like it used to. I just know it's the best protection you can get. The batteries do go bad eventually but that does not affect the surge protection in the unit. jrm30655 covered it in his post pretty well. I would like to know what voltage regulators you use down there?

I use Monster 3480 Joules surge protectors on my good stuff and tripower AVR 2200 Voltage regulators because they regulate to 120 instead of 127. Not sure Walmart carries the Tripower anymore. Not sure Walmart carries Monster surge protectors anymore but they did have some nice big GE ones last time I looked.
I use Tripplite UPS units purchased at Costco for my Camera/Security system.  All equipment was purchased in Mexico but a little while ago. Doubt if that will be much help but good stuff is around and before I got a car I survived on Walmart for this stuff.  Been happy with what I have bought at Steren across from Walmart. You might check them out. We get about 2 to 3 years out of batteries is my experience and I only use UPS to 50% of capacity which really helps with battery life.

We just popped a high voltage to transformer fuse on two phases and even with all this gear including digitals torroidal filters it still fried my Telecable Cable modem
laugh out loud.  Nothing else popped but what I am saying is nothing is perfect. First piece I have lost in Mexico in six years.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:13 pm

[/quote]

JRM says

The biggest problem that I've seen is not the drop off of a power outage, it is when the power comes back on.  I've seen voltages over 500 volts on a power return.  Even the best UPS equipment has a problem with that kind of voltages.  

If you watch with brown outs and interruptions, the voltage will go very high momentarily.

[/quote]

Wow where do you live? I have never tripped the high voltage alarm (over 200) when I put a monitoring instrument online in northwest Ajijic.  If this is common it must be quicker than my instrument. Wow again

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2