INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pickpocket at Super Lake

+28
brigitte
Trailrunner
gringal
espíritu del lago
NEGringos
David
TioBob
Semalu
sir
Carry Bean
ltollefs
Luisa
zenwoodle
Phuqawi
Flamingo
WDBarr
RVGRINGO
Zedinmexico
hickton
gringomojado
viajero
Ms.Thang
gvprod
Clueless
Sideways
simpsca
Ojalero
mouseketeer
32 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Pickpocket at Super Lake - Page 4 Empty Re: Pickpocket at Super Lake

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:52 am

Luisa wrote:I send gluten free Asian condiments to a friend in Mexico City and he is very, very grateful. I go to Super Lake, go up one side of the Asian sauce aisle. Then I take my bottles to the DHL office in the middle of Ajijic. They wrap the bottle in bubble wrap, box them, and deliver them in Mexico City the next day. The in-country shipping is very reasonable.

Wow, Luisa! What a good friend you are. I also love being able to get GF Asian sauces. I'm a foodie, a veg, and love to cook - Super Lake is a no-brainer for foodies!

I take my GF soy sauce/tamari sauce from SL with me to Ricki's too!

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:54 am

So how is it we have gone from a discussion about whether or not Pancho can/should do something about the "bean terrorists" hassling (or stealing from) elderly expats at his store to a discussion about Pancho and the store itself? Looks like some good thread manipulation......jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:00 am

TioBob wrote:Shame to the cowardly keyboarders that refer to Super Lake as anything but their true name. A thief is someone that steals. Super Lake provides products that no place else does. If you can't afford to shop someplace then don't go there. Cowards are what you are to put down what you can't relate to or is greater than your little mind.

lol - TioB - lolol
I think people call it Super Thief because they think they are being cool. Oh well, for them. The ones I love are the posters that adamantly shout from the hills "I will NEVER darken the doors of Super Thief! I wouldn't shop there if it was the only store lakeside!" And the like. hahahaha Guess what, nobody cares. Their lack of business does not hurt that business one iota! The place is packed without you!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:20 am

CanuckBob wrote:So how is it we have gone from a discussion about whether or not Pancho can/should do something about the "bean terrorists" hassling (or stealing from) elderly expats at his store to a discussion about Pancho and the store itself?  Looks like some good thread manipulation......jajaja.

Oh, we are so clever, CBob. Because we all know how difficult it is to get thread drift here. Very Happy
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:22 am

You are clever indeed........... Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:24 am

Beer
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ojalero Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:39 am

Where else can you get Miracle Whip? I was raised on it and know that it is a cultural/economic thing. I wish I was raised on mayo, a much easier purchased product in almost all of Mexico. That dreadful non-mayo, aderezo I think, doesn't cut it for me either. The differences are:

"Miracle Whip sets itself apart with a sweet, spicy flavor that some folks prefer. First introduced during the Depression, when its cheaper price made it alluring to people who couldn't afford more highfalutin mayo, it's now caught up, costing about the same amount per ounce as the real thing. At any price, Miracle Whip still has legions of devotees: According to Kraft, it's currently among the grocery industry's 20 top-selling brands."

SOURCE: realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/food/miracle-whip-mayonnaise
Ojalero
Ojalero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Paraprosdokian

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:54 am

CanuckBob wrote:You are clever indeed........... Beer

Yes she is!!! jajajaja
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:48 am

Ojalero wrote:Where else can you get Miracle Whip? I was raised on it and know that it is a cultural/economic thing. I wish I was raised on mayo, a much easier purchased product in almost all of Mexico. That dreadful non-mayo, aderezo I think, doesn't cut it for me either. The differences are:

"Miracle Whip sets itself apart with a sweet, spicy flavor that some folks prefer. First introduced during the Depression, when its cheaper price made it alluring to people who couldn't afford more highfalutin mayo, it's now caught up, costing about the same amount per ounce as the real thing. At any price, Miracle Whip still has legions of devotees: According to Kraft, it's currently among the grocery industry's 20 top-selling brands."

SOURCE: realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/food/miracle-whip-mayonnaise
Looked this up on web under "ingredients in Miracle Whip":
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miracle Whip is made with the basic ingredients in Mayo but spices are added to give it's bolder taste.

Ingredients:
Water, soybean oil, vinegar, sugar, modified cornstarch, eggs, salt, mustard flour, paprika, spice, natural flavor, dried garlic, potassium sorbate as a perservative and enzyme modified egg yolk
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You SURE you'd rather eat this than natural butter??? (Don't mind me; I'm a label reading fanatic) Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:32 pm

It was quite a jolt when I discovered my fiancé's mother used something called Miracle Whip instead of Hellman's Mayonnaise. The first time I ate her potato salad I struggled to not gag. It just tasted weird to me.
When we married, my husband tried to convert me but it never worked. My consession was keeping a small jar of MW on hand for HIS sandwiches.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ojalero Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:08 pm

Put me down as one that uses MW and I like chicken feet, another sign of humble roots.

I personally think that SL is a real asset to the community. Kids don't mess with me because my hickory wood cane looks too menacing. BTW, a cane is the only weapon that passes through airport security and Mexican inspections without question. I can not post a link yet, so go to YouTube and type in: IMPROVISED WEAPONS: CANE THE PERFECT WEAPON

EDITED: To add YouTube info

Last edited by Ojalero on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ojalero
Ojalero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Paraprosdokian

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:It was quite a jolt when I discovered my fiancé's mother used something called Miracle Whip instead of Hellman's Mayonnaise. The first time I ate her potato salad I struggled to not gag. It just tasted weird to me.
When we married, my husband tried to convert me but it never worked. My consession was keeping a small jar of MW on hand for HIS sandwiches.

Good compromise. People tend to love the food they grew up with, good or bad. My mom refused to eat anything but the real thing, even in hard times. I'm with the butter and real mayo contingent.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:51 pm

My roots were humble too. Once my parents struggled up into the blue collar middle class my mother would insist upon a few privileges of their arrival. Money was still tight now and then but those things were never compromised. We would always eat Hellman's mayonnaise and real butter and never eat Spam.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:08 pm

SuperLake is the BEST grocery store in all of Mexico!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by NEGringos Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:15 pm

CanuckBob wrote:So how is it we have gone from a discussion about whether or not Pancho can/should do something about the "bean terrorists" hassling (or stealing from) elderly expats at his store to a discussion about Pancho and the store itself? Looks like some good thread manipulation......jajaja.
Actually, this thread started out about a pickpocket outside Super Lake. As it usually happens, the entire thread became a debate that has nothing to do with pickpockets.

NEGringos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:41 pm

If you read it from the beginning you will see the "pickpockets and unruly kids" were quickly grouped into one category (and probably are) hence the discussion on how/why/should/could Pancho get rid of them. Well the rest you can figure out from there.

And David you need to get out more if you consider SL to be the best grocery store in Mexico....jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Probably depends on how one defines "best" grocery store, CB, how do you? What would be your favorite?

For those that are dismayed that we are not still discussing pickpockets and have moved on, it's called a conversation. :)
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Probably depends on how one defines "best" grocery store, CB, how do you? What would be your favorite?

For those that are dismayed that we are not still discussing pickpockets and have moved on, it's called a conversation. :)

If Trader Joe's moved to town, there would be no contest at all. Thumbs up

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Probably depends on how one defines "best" grocery store, CB, how do you? What would be your favorite?

Locally we shop at WalMart, Soriana's or any number of the small tiangus and mercados.  As far as the best (in Mexico) I would have to pick Mega but alas we don't have one locally. I'm sure there are many others in Guadalajara and throughout Mexico that are even better.

I'm not dismayed by the conversation. I just thought we were trying to solve a problem however some took umbrage that the topic was maybe soiling SL and Pancho's reputation and it turned into a "let's defend SL and Pancho" conversation. Oh well maybe next time......

Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:27 pm

Please name another good one!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Interestingly enough, the conversation took a turn near the bottom of page two when CBob himself said he never shopped there because it was a ripoff and then a few posts later said he didn't understand why anyone would shop there. He was followed by other negative comments including the use of the word Super Thief. It was then that people who felt Pancho was being unfairly characterized jumped to his defense.
So, who changed the conversation?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:39 pm

TioBob wrote:Shame to the cowardly keyboarders that refer to Super Lake as anything but their true name. A thief is someone that steals. Super Lake provides products that no place else does. If you can't afford to shop someplace then don't go there. Cowards are what you are to put down what you can't relate to or is greater than your little mind.

Bob, I think I love you. Lu

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Mega is not in the running when it comes to specialty items.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Apples and oranges, Bob! You can't compare corporate mega-supermarkets to a mom and pop grocery store.

In terms of super-stores, I'll take Mega too but I haven't been to Chaduri (I can not spell or pronounce this name) ever.

And in terms of grocery/speciality/mom and pop stores I have to say Super Lake hands-down. I've lived in several different parts of this country and I've never seen the likes of SL anywhere else. One of the reasons I live here, actually!

I think we're just talking about different food tastes and choices. Bob, where does your wife like to buy food? When she goes out to buy food for dinner, where does she go? Maybe you are the cook in the family?

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Chedraui is not that great either, of course it varies according to areas but forget them
when it comes to specialty items.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:30 pm

I just wish Super Lake would carry Durkee's Sandwich & Salad Sauce. It's the secret to my chicken salad which always gets rave reviews. I printed out a picture of the jar, took it in to Pancho & the supplier was there. I'd have it in a week, says he. A year later, it's still not. I have to bribe people to bring me a jar. Pickpocket at Super Lake - Page 4 851398

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next