INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaving Mexico with Expired Visa

+3
Intercasa
sparks
beachin
7 posters

Go down

Leaving Mexico with Expired Visa Empty Leaving Mexico with Expired Visa

Post by beachin Mon May 02, 2011 3:59 am

Hi, I have a question. Our Visa's expired just recently. I went to get an FM3 but had to go back 3 different times because they wanted witnesses and then one of mine didn't have ID... so now, it turns out we have to move back to the states unexpectedly and before we would have to wait to get the FM3's. What will happen getting out of here with our car??? Please any info would be really helpful!

beachin

Back to top Go down

Leaving Mexico with Expired Visa Empty Re: Leaving Mexico with Expired Visa

Post by sparks Mon May 02, 2011 7:48 am

Probably nothing. I would turn in the old FMM and for sure return the car permit
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon May 02, 2011 8:00 am

Driving out they don´t ask for the FMM card when turning in the car permit. Trying to turn in the FMM card expired may subject you to fines.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by beachin Mon May 02, 2011 8:13 am

I heard that they can take your car away.

beachin

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 02, 2011 8:52 am

From actual personal experience: as posters have indicated not such a big deal if you do not turn in your FMM when leaving. But, the problem may arise when you try to return to Mexico! We were caught with FMT's (now FMM) that had been expired for 90 days. The published fine is $5USD per day/per person and in our case was calculated for a total of $900USD but negotiated down over a two hour period to a total of $400USD.

We were caught because of entry stamps in our passport with no exit stamps. There have been many examples at other border crossings where this did not happen. So I guess, the warning is that it can or may happen but like all things in Mexico, there is no guarantee.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 am

Hmm....perhaps if ones passport was renewed it would eliminate those stamps as the old passport needs to be turned in and a new fresh one is issued?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon May 02, 2011 8:59 am

They never stamp you out in Mexico, other countries do so it seems to me like it was a shakedown.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by beachin Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 am

so, is the general opinion that I should be okay? I'm not worried about coming back at this point. Just getting out!!

beachin

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 02, 2011 9:36 am

"They never stamp you out in Mexico,"

As someone claiming to be studying to be a lawyer, I would think that you would know better than to ever use the word NEVER with respect to anything in Mexico! How would you like to back up that statement with some big bucks? I will tell you what, take me up on the wager and donate that amount to Cruz Roja when I provide and publish scanned copies of a United States Passport where the pages are stamped in and back out!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by beachin Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 am

Geez, I asked an important question, Can you stay on topic or PM with other little fights!

beachin

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 am

Ok, in my exits and my clients traveling through Guadalajara, Cancun, Tijuana, Los Cabos, DF, Guanajuato, Acapulco and a few other spots they have never done an exit stamp. It must be a rare or regional thing.

Other countries always stamp you out such as Peru, Colombia, Cayman Islands.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 02, 2011 10:06 am

Yuri, perhaps "never" is a little too definite however looking in my passport I do not have any "exit stamps" from either the US or Mexico. I have flown in/out to both about seven times in the last 4 1/2 years. It seems to me I never go through either of these two countries "customs agents" when leaving. The only time I show my passport is checking in at the airlines and boarding the plane (sometimes). Where/why did you get your exit stamp?

Beachin, I'm thinking it is going to be no problemo getting out and I don't think they will take your car.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 02, 2011 10:30 am

This incident took place at the Santa Teresa, NM/San Jeronimo, Chihuahua border crossing. I am sitting here looking at both Passports. One Passport has in/out stamps for August 08, October 08 & August 09. The other Passport (brand new in 09) has in/out stamps for August 09. At this particular crossing one turns in their FMM and Auto Permit right at the border and they are very stamp happy in both directions.

[i]There is no question in our minds that the two female Immigration officials had a very nice personal shopping spree at the El Paso Outlet Mall!

One issue that no one has raised towards the OP's original question is that your Vehicle Permit is
only valid[u] with current Immigration documents. While they probably wouldn't do anything at the border re: confiscation, one could experience problems with other authorities along the way should they wish to examine one's documents? To provide a current example: there have been recent incidents of roadblocks in the Morelia area to check documentation. My guess would be that should the OP run into one of these type situations, they may have a negative experience.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Tue May 03, 2011 3:25 pm

I have only gotten exit stamps when I have asked for them. In my first passport, if you went by the stamps, I entered England in 1995, but didn't leave until 2002.

Also, all of my stamps coming into Mexico, they have stamped on the last page. On top of each other, so you really can't read them well anyway.

saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:37 pm

$900!!! The US has passport cards now. I use mine without any problem. There are no stamps of any kind on it.

I learned to never say never here...
Everyone said the dog was no big deal coming in. We got held up for almost an hour because the deworming medication on the international health certificate was a different brand than used in Mexico. They were going to keep my dog in quarantine. It was a battle to say the least.

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Susie:

As I have said many times on this and other forums, this is what happened to us at one particular border crossing and I don't believe that at any time I have suggested that the same procedure is being followed at any other crossing. And no, we do not have Passport Cards but rather the standard Passport booklet.

The only consistency in Mexico is its inconsistency!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down