INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Success getting Mexican plates for Canadian car

+14
Gamina
Zedinmexico
Lady Otter Latté
CanuckBob
DaveP
Carry Bean
slainte39
gringal
sparks
Bajabrady
gpbasap
Trailrunner
viajero
JayBear
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Success getting Mexican plates for Canadian car - Page 2 Empty Re: Success getting Mexican plates for Canadian car

Post by Playaboy Wed May 18, 2016 12:06 pm

Carry Bean wrote:Why don't Sonia & John get in trouble for doing this so blatantly?

I know of 4 different car scams going on in Mexico today. I am sure there are many more.  The Mexico State plate scam is not the Sonia/John scam.  It is a competing scam chasing the same clients.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Success getting Mexican plates for Canadian car - Page 2 Empty Re: Success getting Mexican plates for Canadian car

Post by Playaboy Wed May 18, 2016 12:10 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
DaveP wrote:
Playaboy wrote:This is not importing a car, this is about illegally registering an illegal car.  

Estado Mexico plates have been for "sale" for about a year.  I have seen ads offering the plates on Craigslist (in English) for approx. $500 USA (at least they are not greedy). You get plates, stickers, and a 3 year registration card.  The car is listed on repuve web site when imputing the license plate number.  

You do not get any type of factura. You can never sell the car.  You must maintain the address they pick and assigned to you in the state of Mexico.  (What will INM say about that?)  You can not register the car in any other State.  (Try to explain to the Federale or Transito that pulls you over why you have a Jalisco drivers license and Mexico plates.)

This is just another scam to add to the long list of scams that have taken expats for 100's of 1000's of dollars.  

There have been no virtual imports accomplished since the Aduana crackdown in Sept, 2014.  There are no judicial amparo's bending the law.  The only legal way to import is at the border.  Anything else could get you in trouble.

Here is last months thread about cars.

https://www.insidelakeside.com/t16407p25-legalize-an-american-car

This needs to be in CAPS but you have to understand

MEXICO HAS NOT ALLOWED THE IMPORT OF CANADIAN REGISTERED CARS TO MEXICO AT THE BORDER FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS. THIS IS STRICTLY NOT IT A AGREEMENT WITH NAFTA WHICH STATES THE CONDITIONS ON WHICH US AND CANADIAN CARS MAY BE IMPORTED TO MEXICO. MEXICO IS NOT COMPLYING WITH AN INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENT.

Regardless of that, do you feel confident that insurance will cover someone with those plates in the event of an accident?

I have a great insurance agent. I will put the question to him and get back to you.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Success getting Mexican plates for Canadian car - Page 2 Empty Insurance answer

Post by Playaboy Thu May 19, 2016 6:11 am

Here is the note I sent to my insurance agent.

I have a general insurance question.

A gringo has an USA plated car here.  It is not eligible for importing.  The gringo immigration status changes to permanente, which means the gringo can not legally drive that car.   Instead the gringo uses a facilitator to get Estado Mexico placas, the window stickers, and a 3 year tajarta de circulation using a estado México address.  

The gringo insures the car.  A year later they get into an accident.  Will the insurance company pay on the claim?

What do you think?

His response is;

There are different coverage's on the policy, but the way I see it, the main concerns will be:
If there is only partial damages, I don’t see why the Insurance company shouldn’t  cover that.

If it is a total loss, it will be impossible to get paid by the Insurance company, because the Insured won’t be able to provide the papers required by the Company.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu May 19, 2016 7:28 am

Playaboy wrote:Here is the note I sent to my insurance agent.

A gringo has an USA plated car here.  It is not eligible for importing.  The gringo immigration status changes to permanente, which means the gringo can not legally drive that car.   Instead the gringo uses a facilitator to get Estado Mexico placas, the window stickers, and a 3 year tajarta de circulation using a estado México address.  

The gringo insures the car.  A year later they get into an accident.  Will the insurance company pay on the claim?

What do you think?

His response is;

There are different coverage's on the policy, but the way I see it, the main concerns will be:
If there is only partial damages, I don’t see why the Insurance company shouldn’t  cover that.

If it is a total loss, it will be impossible to get paid by the Insurance company, because the Insured won’t be able to provide the papers required by the Company.

As is usual Playaboy you have not asked the right question. It is a CANADIAN plated car. If you can't tell the difference how can we trust your comments? BTW a Canadian is not a Gringo. You want to insult Canadian also?
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu May 19, 2016 7:38 am

DaveP wrote:

What do you think?

His response is;

As is usual Playaboy you have not asked the right question. It is a CANADIAN plated car. If you can't tell the difference how can we trust your comments? BTW a Canadian is not a Gringo. You want to insult Canadians also?
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 19, 2016 7:41 am

That pretty much says it all.
Thanks, Playaboy.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu May 19, 2016 7:43 am

DaveP wrote:
DaveP wrote:

What do you think?

His response is;

As is usual Playaboy you have not asked the right question. It is a CANADIAN plated car. If you can't tell the difference how can we trust your comments? BTW a Canadian is not a Gringo. You want to insult Canadians also? It would seem so. You are on the wrong forum
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu May 19, 2016 8:05 am

New for US cars coming to Mexico to be mexican title and plated. You must legally export the vehicle in the US before coming to Mexico. Process is a couple of days. This is new. I have no idea if Canada has a regulation like this. However all you folks with US plates and temp visa now your car must go to US to be legally exported than go through the Mexican border stuff. What a joke. More paper. I am so glad I own Mexican vehicles now.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu May 19, 2016 8:24 am

Zedinmexico wrote:New for US cars coming to Mexico to be mexican title and plated.  You must legally export the vehicle in the US before coming to Mexico. Process is a couple of days.  This is new.   I have no idea if Canada has a regulation like this.  However all you folks with US plates and temp visa now your car must go to US to be legally exported than go through the Mexican border stuff.  What a joke. More paper.   I am so glad I own Mexican vehicles now.

Zed read this

MEXICO HAS NOT ALLOWED THE IMPORT OF CANADIAN REGISTERED CARS TO MEXICO AT THE BORDER FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS. THIS IS STRICTLY NOT IT A AGREEMENT WITH NAFTA WHICH STATES THE CONDITIONS ON WHICH US AND CANADIAN CARS MAY BE IMPORTED TO MEXICO. MEXICO IS NOT COMPLYING WITH AN INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENT.

Mexico is in violation of the NAFTA agreement of which Mexico, USA and Canada are signing partners. What can I say. Roll on 2018 when when
Mexico will have to comply.

M
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Thu May 19, 2016 8:28 am

What do you think?

His response is;

So your insurance agent is saying that even though the car is being driven illegally, it will still be covered for partial damage in an accident?  So a pedimento is not needed for partial damage? The agent probably didn't think this through with all it's ramifications.  Perhaps if you point out to your agent that the car is illegal, he will have a different answer. Or maybe,(your agent is saying) if the insurance doesn't know it's an illegal car, they will essentially pay off on a fraudulent claim.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 am

DaveP wrote: BTW a Canadian is not a Gringo. You want to insult Canadian also?
Hmmm,when a Mexican asked me if I was Canadian I was a little insulted but laughed and asked him if he was Guatemalan,he got the point.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Thu May 19, 2016 2:05 pm

DaveP wrote:

What do you think?

His response is;

As is usual Playaboy you have not asked the right question. It is a CANADIAN plated car. If you can't tell the difference how can we trust your comments? BTW a Canadian is not a Gringo. You want to insult Canadian also?

Dave, don't jump on my case.  I asked my agent about State of Mexico plates and insurance.  It doesn't matter if the car started as a USA or Canadian titled vehicle.  If you don't like the way I asked the question, go talk to your agent and ask them yourself.  I am sure if you keep looking hard enough you will hear the answers you want to hear.

Gamina, I tried to give my agent some basic info.  I made my question short and sweet.  I am sure he gave this less than 3 minutes of his time.  I took my agents response to mean that for minor $$$ claims the required paperwork is less stringent than for major $$$ claims.  If the insurance company requires a factura and you can not produce one, than I doubt you will get paid.

This car situation is a big pain in the ass for certain expats.  It is even bigger burden for Canadians with TIP's who promised to remove their cars from Mexico before the permit expires, promised not to sell the cars in MX, can't import their cars into MX (I have not checked if your statement is fact), and can't sell them in the USA. That leave Canadians the choice of returning the car to Canada or junking the car in the USA.  That sucks big time.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 19, 2016 2:15 pm

The only advise I give to anyone coming to live in Mexico is SELL YOUR CAR AND BUY ONE HERE!!!! IT'S NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!!!

Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 19, 2016 2:16 pm

The car situation sucks big time for almost everybody.  No choice about driving that foreign plated car when Permanente status arrives. Many people snatch at any solution that doesn't involve driving to the border or losing big bucks on their car.  Some of those solutions just aren't legal: the victim loses big bucks anyway and still is faced with using the legal solution.

IMHO, it's better to just go with the legal way since you can't change it. Swallow your losses and move on.
I'm with CBOB. Keep life simple. Buy a Mexican plated car.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Thu May 19, 2016 4:37 pm

..... or just keep driving with NOB plates.  Chances of police checking your Visa or even knowing the rule .... is pretty slim
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Buying a Mexican-plated car is easy for those with the financial resources to do so. For some people, driving an older, reliable car to the border, disposing of it at a loss and returning to purchase a reliable Mexican-plated car is not an option they can afford. Their choice is to have a car or not have a car.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 19, 2016 5:12 pm

sparks wrote:..... or just keep driving with NOB plates.  Chances of police checking your Visa or even knowing the rule .... is pretty slim

The problem is that in the event of a catastrophic accident the insurance companies will look for any excuse not to pay.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 19, 2016 5:17 pm

I talked to Lewis and Lewis about that. They said if you are permanente and you own and are driving a car with NOB plates your car is not legal in Mexico. They would have taken my money and renewed my policy (they probably wouldn't ask visa status if I hadn't asked them), but if there was an accident (any accident) they said they would not pay because the car was illegally in Mexico.

Reason enough.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri May 20, 2016 9:25 am

DaveP wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:New for US cars coming to Mexico to be mexican title and plated.  You must legally export the vehicle in the US before coming to Mexico. Process is a couple of days.  This is new.   I have no idea if Canada has a regulation like this.  However all you folks with US plates and temp visa now your car must go to US to be legally exported than go through the Mexican border stuff.  What a joke. More paper.   I am so glad I own Mexican vehicles now.

Zed read this

Mexico is in violation of the NAFTA agreement of which Mexico, USA and Canada are signing partners. What can I say. Roll on 2018 when when
Mexico will have to comply.

M

The Mexican car dealers association does everything they can to stop the flow of cheap US/Canada used cars. I think your post makes this point. Interesting I had no idea.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Fri May 20, 2016 10:20 am

All the angst associated with vehicle issues can be eliominated with simply going to a Temporal status for 4 years instead of Permanente status. AT the end of 4 years, exit Mexico, go to a consulate and get another Temporal Visa. Come back and register it for another 4 years. That covers 8 years. If you are a couple then one person goes Permanente and the other Temporal.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 20, 2016 12:42 pm

That may work for those with plenty of means to keep meeting the financial requirements every 4 years and to keep paying the renewal every year. It is also a gamble that they don't keep changing the rules, making it even harder to get residency.

The easiest/safest way is to simply get rid of the foreign plated car.....IMO.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri May 20, 2016 1:24 pm

solajijic wrote:All the angst associated with vehicle issues can be eliominated with simply going to a Temporal status for 4 years instead of Permanente status.  AT the end of 4 years, exit Mexico, go to a consulate and get another Temporal Visa.  Come back and register it for another 4 years. That covers 8 years.  If you are a couple then one person goes Permanente and the other Temporal.

But you have to take your car with you when your four years are up as temp right?   Thats a pain if you have a junker that is fine here but not appropriate for a long trip but you do offer a solution that is legal if the car will make it to the border and back.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Fri May 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Just to show how wide spread this kind of fraud is;

https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1126968900708922&set=pcb.858691544243298&type=3&theater

https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=972553199528613&set=gm.1342842915730334&type=3&theater

https://web.facebook.com/luisguillermo.sanchezcarrillo.3?fref=nf

Chillins super secret contacts?

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri May 20, 2016 5:11 pm

The best reason I can think of to get your car legalized:

Last year, a friend was leaving the Laguna Mall and ran into a Mexican family who were also leaving. Very minor accident, but my friend was taken to jail anyway while they decided if there were injuries to a woman in the other car.

Big deal getting her out. She had a legal Jalisco plate and insurance with a reliable company. The insurance company sent a lawyer. Now imagine the scenario if she hadn't had both of the above.

Yes, I feel sorry for those who are put in a financial bind by the various laws, but there isn't a thing we expats can do to change that.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat May 28, 2016 11:25 am

Who do you think this scam ad targets?

http://yucatan.craigslist.com.mx/cto/5606149956.html?lang=en&cc=us

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat May 28, 2016 12:51 pm

Playaboy wrote:Who do you think this scam ad targets?

http://yucatan.craigslist.com.mx/cto/5606149956.html?lang=en&cc=us
500 USD?
That's a hell of a good price,I think I'll look into it.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next