INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banking

+23
mrum
hueco_negro
larryc
DaveP
Parker
SunFan
Jim W
mikey1953
martygraw
elgringo
johninajijic
Intercasa
CheenaGringo
GBATRUCKS
Hensley
ferret
simpsca
David
hound dog
CanuckBob
Solovino
Rolly
jschl453
27 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Banking  - Page 2 Empty Re: Banking

Post by GBATRUCKS Mon May 23, 2011 1:40 pm

I set my USAA debit card to a 6000 peso limit & only get hit one fee per transaction.

GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Can someone answer this question: why have a Mexican bank account at all? What advantages are there over just using an bank card to access your funds from the US or Canada? Is it easier to pay bills and/or make large purchases?.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Bob, I answered your question on Page 1 of this thread:

To have access to your funds located in Mexico, sometimes in amounts exceeding what you can get from an ATM.

Sometimes it's handy to be able to write a check. e.g. for purchase of a car.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 23, 2011 6:53 pm

"Multiva is paying 4.34 interest every 28 days now."

Who is managing their fund? Bernie Madoff from his jail cell? That interest rate is so high, I won't bother with annualizing that rate - just take my money and run like the wind!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 23, 2011 7:22 pm

Sorry David I missed it. Makes sense.

Yuri, the interest rate isn't that high. I have a Dynamics Canadian Equity Fund paying 7%. I get a monthly check. The interest rate is set every year. After the crash in '09 I was still getting 5%. In '10 I was getting 6% and now it's back up to 7%. Good investments are out there if you look around and get a good financial person.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon May 23, 2011 8:43 pm

And you often need to pay large bills in pesos like health insurance premiums.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 pm

yuri wrote:"Multiva is paying 4.34 interest every 28 days now."

Who is managing their fund? Bernie Madoff from his jail cell? That interest rate is so high, I won't bother with annualizing that rate - just take my money and run like the wind!

The answer is the Government of Mexico. Cetes are the equivelent of T-bills in the US. BTW, that IS the annual rate.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Well said Simpsca, I pay my Health Insurance bill every year with a Peso check.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue May 24, 2011 9:10 am

David wrote:Well said Simpsca, I pay my Health Insurance bill every year with a Peso check.

Probably wasn't clear, but what I meant is that is one reason to have an account here - so you can pay your insurance premiums in pesos. Or if you have a medical procedure that is expensive but under your insurance deductible you can take a peso check. The alternative to to walk around with a ton of pesos - not a good idea in today's climate.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue May 24, 2011 9:24 am

Well here is my $.02 and what I do any why.

For a credit card I use Capital One as I get miles for the dollars I spend and no international transaction fees.

For a Mexican Bank I use Bancomer as they give you a gold VIP card which means never waiting in line, they do have local English speaking reps who have brains and will help to fix any errors, other banks are lazy and would rather spend an hour fighting with you to not work than 5 minutes resolving a problem, also Bancomer has many branches so if someone needs to give you money you can get paid or in the alternative if you want to buy on the Mexican ebay or pay utilities or buy airtime for your cell phone it is very easy and no fees with a nominal minimum balance.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by jschl453 Tue May 24, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks , good advice. I also like Simpsca's idea of opening a B of A online account in the US and having some reciprocal agreement to access Santender for no ATM fees. In fact, I did that this morning while I still have a US address.
David had said that Bancomer is very good as well. However, do they have any connection with US banks? Can I assume that most of these banks have about the same exchange rates (although I read Banamex is lower)?
Also, I opened a Capital One Venture visa account about 6 months ago for the express purpose that they do not charge foreign transaction fees.

Intercasa -- another pregunta para usted. I just obtained an FM 3 at Mexican Consulate in DC three weeks ago and they told me it is only good for 6 months. What happened to the one year duration for FM -3?
Thanks

jschl453

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue May 24, 2011 11:15 am

Intercasa, You mention that with Capital One there is not international transaction fee. Do they waive the ATM fees somehow?

And to jachl453, make sure you use your B of A card at a Santander branch to avoid ATM fees.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue May 24, 2011 12:33 pm

simpsca wrote:
David wrote:Well said Simpsca, I pay my Health Insurance bill every year with a Peso check.

Probably wasn't clear, but what I meant is that is one reason to have an account here - so you can pay your insurance premiums in pesos. Or if you have a medical procedure that is expensive but under your insurance deductible you can take a peso check. The alternative to to walk around with a ton of pesos - not a good idea in today's climate.

Well. not entirely true. We have two bank accounts in Mexico. One account is a savings account but the other account is a combination checking account and investment account. We can write checks on the the latter account but got a little gunshy when they bounced one for "irregular signature". These days, our insurance company simply sends us a billing payable at any number of large banks and we go into the bank - any branch - or just use our home computer and simply transfer money from our account to the account of the insurance company. No checks involved unless we wish to use one.

By the way, our account with Charles Schwab in the U.S. waives all ATM charges at all banks in Mexico - period, every time and the same when we are in France. No need to limit yourself to affiliated banks if you have a good investment house with a captive bank in the U.S.

Last edited by hound dog on Thu May 26, 2011 8:06 am; edited 2 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue May 24, 2011 12:39 pm

I never had a problem like that with Multiva (I have a check book) or Actinver (they make the check and you need to go in ahead of time and need the exact name of the person or entity being paid. Mistake in the name results in the check is not good. So it is a little tricky here. Only once had to return a check to Actinver and have a new one made out because the agent receiving the check did not give me the correct info.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue May 24, 2011 3:23 pm

I don't cash advance with my Capital One credit card, just use it for purchases, cash advances may have fees.

As far as the FM3 issued at the consulate, you have a time limit to enter Mexico and then another time limit while here to register it or be fined. It will be good for a year from the date issued.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by jschl453 Tue May 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks Intercasa. That is what David also indicated earlier today on another thread.

jschl453

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

simpsca wrote:I never had a problem like that with Multiva (I have a check book) or Actinver (they make the check and you need to go in ahead of time and need the exact name of the person or entity being paid. Mistake in the name results in the check is not good. So it is a little tricky here. Only once had to return a check to Actinver and have a new one made out because the agent receiving the check did not give me the correct info.

simpsca - MULTIVA is now charging $ 80. pesos a month for having a checkbook. Two weeks ago we got rid of our checkbook with them. We never used it. Everyone here wants cash so they don't have to pay taxes.

For a Hospital, we use our Credit Card, same as in Costco. You can use your card at Clinics too. That's the only 2 places we use it. Too much fraud in Mexico. Don't bash me as I was told this by Citibank, worst country for fraud.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun May 29, 2011 5:42 pm

I was just told by Multiva act. rep that I would not be charged for the check book. I'll call her again on Monday - maybe I'll take all my money out of there if they do.

I do use my US credit card at hospitals, but not too much else here.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon May 30, 2011 12:28 am

simpsca wrote:I was just told by Multiva act. rep that I would not be charged for the check book. I'll call her again on Monday - maybe I'll take all my money out of there if they do.

I have been using mine at Costco monthly for 10 years now, but not anywhere else especially after they stole my card info at Farmacia Guadalajara in Ajijic.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by elgringo Mon May 30, 2011 8:10 am

I use the HSBC bank. good service and the prettiest women work there!
elgringo
elgringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:54 pm

simpsca wrote:I was just told by Multiva act. rep that I would not be charged for the check book. I'll call her again on Monday - maybe I'll take all my money out of there if they do.

Just received an email from the Multiva account rep. So much for her honesty when she said there is no charge for a check book. It's 80 pesos per month for the bank card and check book. Account will be emptied on Monday.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by jschl453 Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi Simpsca:

What will your alternative be to Multiva?

jschl453

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:11 am

She will probably stay with Multiva for her cetes account and get rid of the checking account.

Now it has been a while but if we want money we just transferred to the daily savings and withdrew with an ATM card?
Refresh my memory guys as we have had the checking account and ATM card for a while.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:57 am

Actually don't have a cetes account with Multiva, just a bank account right now. I'll be talking to Actinver and Bancomer as alternatives - that's based on all the reading I've done on this web board and a few others. I do have a B of A and other accounts in the US but it is convenient to be able to write a peso check here when needed.

Hensley I think you have to transfer from your cetes account to the bank account to get cash with your card. That's what I used to do when I had money in a fund there - but had to call on a certain day of the month to order the transfer.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 am

We have had no credit cards at all for a couple of years. We do have three debit cards, two with Mexican banks and one on our U.S. bank. We have had no problem using debit cards in lieu of credit cards in any and all circumstances including hotels, hospitals, car rentals and all other negotiations in both France and the United States as well as all over Mexico. When we are reluctant to use the debit cards with clients we do not necessarily trust, we use Pay Pal or, within Mexico, interbank deposit transfers. Of course, when at all possible, we use the U.S. issued debit card or cash when dealing with merchants because our U.S. bank will take care of us in the event of problems and God help us with our Mexican banks.

We thought of applying for a credit card at one of the two large national banks with which we do business in Mexico but, upon reflection, decided that was a bad idea even though we easily qualify for one at either institution. Mexican law does not, in our opinion, provide even a modicum of the protection we would enjoy using a U.S. bank issued credit card with the consumer protections available there under the U.S. law. Plus, I wouldn´t trust the Mexican banking bureaucracy for a minute to take my side in a fraud controversy.

By the way, my advice to readers is that they never use debit or credit cards at retaurants or street merchants in Mexico. Go to an ATM and get cash to pay for that meal or that EZLN T-Shirt.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 am

So after reading all this I suppose one could forgo the middle man and simply have their Portfolio Manager deposit their monthly allowance from their investments directly into a Mexican bank account. This way one would have Mexican checks and a Mexican debit card which would eliminate ATM fees and make replacing a lost or defective card a breeze.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next