INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sometimes, things can be accomplished much simpler here than NOB

+19
ferret
RVGRINGO
ltollefs
Zedinmexico
Vandre
jrm30655
slainte39
brigitte
Trailrunner
Clete
Carry Bean
espíritu del lago
Rosa Venus
WillieRae
oncesubtle
RichD
CanuckBob
papa chango
suegarn
23 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Sometimes, things can be accomplished much simpler here than NOB - Page 3 Empty Re: Sometimes, things can be accomplished much simpler here than NOB

Post by brigitte Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:45 am

Indigenous fiesta usually feature Modelo but plenty of Indigenous drink Indio. That does not mean they appreciate the word when applied to them.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Sometimes, things can be accomplished much simpler here than NOB - Page 3 Empty Re: Sometimes, things can be accomplished much simpler here than NOB

Post by Clete Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:46 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
Clete wrote:
RichD wrote:When I lived in Guatemala on Lake Atitlan, an area highly influenced by Americans, I found that the indigenous people absolutely hated to be called Indians. The word Indian translates to Indio in our books, but means rube or hick to them. They always called Americans gringos and say they mean nothing by it.

Once I was talking to the head of public education in San Pedro La Laguna, a Tz'utujil Mayan Indian and he referred to me as a gringo. I asked him why he used such an offensive word and he replied, I mean no malice by it. I then said that it was OK, Indio.

The word indio is deemed offensive in this country also. Besides the meanings you mentioned, it is used widely by Mexicans to denigrate the indigenous.

Funny thing is I had not idea that was a bad word because I saw all the beer trucks with Indio on the side. Does the indigenous buy this beer???  Can you imagine N word on the side of a bud truck in Compton??  Some things just confuse me in Mexico and this is one of them.  Gringo doesn't bother me but never heard it in a negative sense but I am sure it happens.

Indio, in and of itself is not offensive. It depends how it is used. Much like the word gringo.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:47 am

It is funny how some of you Americans (or people that lived in the US) can dish it out but get your panties in a knot over the "ugly American" stereotype jokes. Remember the backlash over Pedro's "merkin" joke.....jaja. Buckle up though cause I think international "perceptions" aren't about to get better......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:37 am

Yup.

Another interesting thing is goods imported from the US have increased in price here, for all the already known reasons, so expect to be paying much more for them in the future if you can get them at all.

ONTOH, a good example of what is about to happen to American exports - I have been waiting for Pancho to find and import some better gluten free bread but the prices have been abhorrent - 163 pesos for a loaf of good quality American imported bread. No mas! He has found delicious gluten free baguettes from Spain, 39 pesos per!

Buckle up US, the nut scene you voted for is going to be hell.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:12 am

The Mexican consulate in Brownsville stonewalled me trying to get a passport for my Mexican born son claiming the official birth certificate showing me as his father supplied by Spencer was a counterfeit. They have in the past said that my adoption of him in the US was a ruse and that I had to get one in Mexico and that is impossible for a non-Mexican to do. Fugg the Hague Convention on international adoptions that i followed to a T. My son also has a CURP with my surname, screw that too, it must also be a forgery.

I have no idea why they have treated me this way except for my not being a Mexican. I will now drop a load at the lawyer's office in Chapala getting him his rightful passport for ID.
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:34 am

It seems that each consulate makes its own rules judging by what I've read here by others who have dealt with them. Sorry that one is being stupid. Can you try a different one?

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:36 am

CanuckBob wrote:It is funny how some of you Americans (or people that lived in the US) can dish it out but get your panties in a knot over the "ugly American" stereotype jokes. Remember the backlash over Pedro's "merkin" joke.....jaja. Buckle up though cause I think international "perceptions" aren't about to get better......

Maybe because it's constant here even way before the election. It gets old and the Canadians sure get touchy at the least little thing from what I've seen.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:43 am

Carry Bean wrote:It seems that each consulate makes its own rules judging by what I've read here by others who have dealt with them.  Sorry that one is being stupid.  Can you try a different one?

When you live in Texas, you must use the consulate designated for your county. Mine is Brownsville, the consulate of NO.
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:38 am

RichD, you didn't mention a time frame for your issues with the Mexican consulate; did it fall under the boot print of the latest election? If so, a little push back is expected, not right, but expected. Interesting times, with more to follow.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:46 am

Carry Bean wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:It is funny how some of you Americans (or people that lived in the US) can dish it out but get your panties in a knot over the "ugly American" stereotype jokes. Remember the backlash over Pedro's "merkin" joke.....jaja. Buckle up though cause I think international "perceptions" aren't about to get better......

Maybe because it's constant here even way before the election.  It gets old and the Canadians sure get touchy at the least little thing from what I've seen.  

Well I'm sure things will get better now....... Beer

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:56 am

International mud wrestling will begin at 1530, followed by heavy drinking and an ice cream social at 1900......just before bedtime.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:48 am

What?...no sock hop?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:52 am

Would you wear socks while mud-wrestling?

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 pm

ltollefs wrote:RichD, you didn't mention a time frame for your issues with the Mexican consulate...

Yesterday, but I feel that they are just stupid people, mad that i adopted one of La Raza without doing it in Mexico, knowing full well that an American can virtually not adopt a Mexican child. The election results may have exacerbated their unwillingness, but I doubt it.

Spencer said I should start my PR application there. No flipping way. As the father of a Mexican child, I am entitled to apply while in Mexico and that is what I will do.

Ignorance can be fixed, but stupid is forever.
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:19 pm

As far as this thread goes, it was your compatriot suegarn that got her panties all in a knot over a very innocuous joke. In my experience over a very long period of time and literally traveling around the world, I have noticed Canadians going out of their way to bash people from the US and rarely see an American ragging on Canadians. I once had one Canuck stalk me through the South Sea islands, constantly criticizing all Americans as if they were all cut from the same cloth. After I had repeatedly warned him to stay away from me and he kept it up, I punched him out. I'm sure that endeared him of Americans even more but he left me alone from then on.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:21 pm

RichD wrote:
ltollefs wrote:RichD, you didn't mention a time frame for your issues with the Mexican consulate...

Yesterday, but I feel that they are just stupid people, mad that i adopted one of La Raza without doing it in Mexico, knowing full well that an American can virtually not adopt a Mexican child. The election results may have exacerbated their unwillingness, but I doubt it.

Spencer said I should start my PR application there. No flipping way. As the father of a Mexican child, I am entitled to apply while in Mexico and that is what I will do.

Ignorance can be fixed, but stupid is forever.

Where was the boy born? Original birth certificates are easily obtained at the registro civil of the municipality where the birth occurred. I am at a loss why you even appear on the certificate. Maybe you are getting some poor legal advice.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:23 pm

I was once asked by a Canadian from Toronto, that noticed that I was an outspoken person, "What do Americans think of Canadians?" My reply was, We don't".
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Clete wrote:Maybe you are getting some poor legal advice.

Spencer got me the certificates. My name is on them because i did everything in accordance with the Hague Convention for international adaptions and had a court order that changes his name to mine.

I will see Spencer at his office in Chapala the 30th and he assures me to not worry, he can get all I want and need done. I have complete confidence in him.

Last edited by RichD on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Repair typo)
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Clete wrote:

As far as this thread goes, it was your compatriot suegarn that got her panties all in a knot over a very innocuous joke. In my experience over a very long period of time and literally traveling around the world, I have noticed Canadians going out of their way to bash people from the US and rarely see an American ragging on Canadians. I once had one Canuck stalk me through the South Sea islands, constantly criticizing all Americans as if they were all cut from the same cloth. After I had repeatedly warned him to stay away from me and he kept it up, I punched him out. I'm sure that endeared him of Americans even more but he left me alone from then on.

Well actually it was Brigitte that had to tell the Canadian joke after I said that "whenever I am called a gringo I tell them I am Canadian and they usually apologize." No Canadian on this board has ever posted a rant about Americans like WD and Rico did about Canadians lately. Not even Pedro. Again it was after I joked about "ugly american"syndrome. Viajero used to get all wound up regularly.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Clete wrote:
After I had repeatedly warned him to stay away from me and he kept it up, I punched him out. I'm sure that endeared him of Americans even more but he left me alone from then on.

Sounds about right.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:56 pm

I find it difficult to take personally the rants of the uneducated.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Clete wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:
Clete wrote:
RichD wrote:When I lived in Guatemala on Lake Atitlan, an area highly influenced by Americans, I found that the indigenous people absolutely hated to be called Indians. The word Indian translates to Indio in our books, but means rube or hick to them. They always called Americans gringos and say they mean nothing by it.

Once I was talking to the head of public education in San Pedro La Laguna, a Tz'utujil Mayan Indian and he referred to me as a gringo. I asked him why he used such an offensive word and he replied, I mean no malice by it. I then said that it was OK, Indio.

The word indio is deemed offensive in this country also. Besides the meanings you mentioned, it is used widely by Mexicans to denigrate the indigenous.

Funny thing is I had not idea that was a bad word because I saw all the beer trucks with Indio on the side. Does the indigenous buy this beer???  Can you imagine N word on the side of a bud truck in Compton??  Some things just confuse me in Mexico and this is one of them.  Gringo doesn't bother me but never heard it in a negative sense but I am sure it happens.

Indio, in and of itself is not offensive. It depends how it is used. Much like the word gringo.

When referring to some historical prehispanic person or the logo of the beer which depicts same, it is not offensive. To call a contemporary individual Indio could and probably would be considered offensive or at the least stupid, especially if coming from an extranjero.
Having said that, one of Mexico's most beloved film actor/director/producer, Emilio Fernandez, had the apodo of "El Indio", affectionately,
He was a close friend of the Huston/Burton/Taylor triumvirate of that era.  "Gringos" Very Happy , might remember his small part in "Night of the Iguana" or his major role in "The Wild Bunch", two very popular "gringo movies" made in and about Mexico.

Last edited by slainte39 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:36 pm

In the book Swimming with the sharks, one of the great advice is DO NOT BLEED

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:16 pm

Not sure how much this clears up the "indio" issue for me but thanks for trying. So like Gringo Indio can be good or bad is the best I can come up with.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:20 pm

yes zed it is now is all clear now, have another Indio :30

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:50 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
Clete wrote:

Well actually it was Brigitte that had to tell the Canadian joke after I said that "whenever I am called a gringo I tell them I am Canadian and they usually apologize." No Canadian on this board has ever posted a rant about Americans like WD and Rico did about Canadians lately. Not even Pedro. Again it was after I joked about "ugly american"syndrome. Viajero used to get all wound up regularly.

Brigitte is French. And WD and Rico are morons.

PS Pedro, too.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next