INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What documents need to be apostilled by married US citizens while obtaining Permanent Resident visa?

+2
David
RGFlorida
6 posters

Go down

What documents need to be apostilled by married US citizens while obtaining Permanent Resident visa? Empty What documents need to be apostilled by married US citizens while obtaining Permanent Resident visa?

Post by RGFlorida Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:41 am

My wife and I were told that our US marriage certificate would need to be apostilled --- a requirement by the Mexican government while approving both of us for Permanent Visas.

Do they typically require any other documents also to be apostilled?

Do any of the documents typically needed to be translated from English to Spanish?

I was told that to get my marriage certificate apostilled, that I would need to send an official copy of the document to the appropriate office at Florida's state capital. And that they will apostile (authenticate) the marriage certificate.

Any advice / information will be greatly appreciated.

RGFlorida

Back to top Go down

What documents need to be apostilled by married US citizens while obtaining Permanent Resident visa? Empty Re: What documents need to be apostilled by married US citizens while obtaining Permanent Resident visa?

Post by David Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:40 am

The Sec'y of State's office will generate the apostiled document. In many states you can order this online. As I recall this is the only document you need in addition to your passport.

Perhaps Spencer will weigh in to ensure this is correct.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

What documents need to be apostilled by married US citizens while obtaining Permanent Resident visa? Empty Re: What documents need to be apostilled by married US citizens while obtaining Permanent Resident visa?

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 pm

You only need that marriage certificate if your wife is being claimed as a dependent. If you are each getting your own visa's then no marriage certificate is required. This is the best way to go if you can show the earnings or savings account for both of you. As a dependent there could be problems for your wife if you pass away.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by RGFlorida Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:04 am

David and Bob,

Thank you for the information and feedback!

Rich

RGFlorida

Back to top Go down

Post by desafinada Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:11 am

8 years ago, the wife had to be claimed as an independent because she wasn't old enough to qualify as a rentista. In addition to the apostille, also had to provide a letter vouching for her financially and morally. That may have changed when they replaced the FM2 & 3 with the temporary and permanente statuses.

desafinada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:15 am

What is the legal age to qualify for a visa?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:31 am

Most consulates dont ask for apostilled documents just recently issued ones HOWEVER it is a good practice to bring apostilled / legalized recently issued certificates in case you need them for marriage, divorce, probate, immigration or property issues. They are easier to get and less expensive if you get them before you come down as you can send things by regular mail and if it takes a week there is no urgent transaction waiting on them.

As far as Bobs question for minimum age, that seems to be rising. Internal rules seem to be changing. A few years ago we got many clients in their 30s permanent resident visas, then last year we heard from inside sources that they were imposing a minimum age of 50 or 60 and now some consulates dont want to give them to anybody and use their discretion to deny. In Chapala to jump ahead before the four years from temp to perm they want to see you receive a pension, well that is excluding self employed people who are have hundreds of thousands in the bank and can be over 70 but dont get a dollar in pension income or social security. Go figure!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by RGFlorida Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:41 am

I retired 2.5 years ago. I had sufficent money saved for retirement (IRA's and 401k type plans) to do so. I am now 60 and my wife is 55.

I am not old enough for my Social Security pension yet. While I do receive a pension from a previous employer, it is not large enough to qualify my wife and I for a Permanent Visa. But the retirement money I have saved is sufficient --- it easily qualifies us over the minimum amounts published by Mexico this year for the PV (104,000 USD this year per the Mexican consulate nearest me in Florida).

Would the consulate in Florida make the decision on whether my retirement savings qualifies us during our interview at the consulate in Florida? Or would this be decided at the Guadalajara immigration office after we arrive in Mexico?

RGFlorida

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

You shouldnt have a problem and if they only give you temporary we can get you permanent as you have at least 1 dollar in pension to place you in the pensioner category and then can qualify with assets, get yours first and then we can tag your wife onto your permanent as a temp and then she goes perm after 2 years.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Anyone have a good link to download the forms for temporary and permanent residency. The forms you take to the Mexican consulate in the states for application? Thanks

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Have you checked the website of your local consulate?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Yes, and I cannot seem to find the forms to download!

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RGFlorida Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:31 am

Bimini6,

If you send me a PM (private message) and include your email address, I can forward documents to you that I received from the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, DC. in January of this year.  I had emailed a consulate in Florida asking for this information and the reply came from the Embassy in DC with these 2 documents:

1st document is the Visa Application Form --- used for either Perm or Temp visa application.

2nd document explains the requirements for a permanent visa, how to make an appointment with a consulate near you, and what to bring with you for the permanent visa appointment/interview.  Note: This document discusses the permanent visa only, it does not discuss the temporary visa requirements.

Humble Administrator: I am a newbie on the forum and could not find a way to attach these forms to either this forum discussion or to attach them to a private message. Is there such a way?

RGFlorida

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:35 am

Yes, when you create a new post just below the send button is another section that let's you attach documents.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RGFlorida Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:53 am

Thanks Bob!  I just opened a new topic but was unable to upload them. Got this error message:

Could not upload file : exceeded total storage space. (Free space : 1)

Assuming someone needs to delete some files to make room for news ones before upload can work.

RGFlorida

Back to top Go down

Post by RGFlorida Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Bimini6 sent me a PM. I have sent them the 2 documents through email to them. Thank you.

RGFlorida

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Thank you to RGFlorida!

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down