INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have a rat problem? Mother nature has a solution and other uses

4 posters

Go down

Have a rat problem? Mother nature has a solution and other uses Empty Have a rat problem? Mother nature has a solution and other uses

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 am

http://www.foragingtexas.com/2012/08/coral-bean.html
X wrote:
The red beans can not be made safe to eat as they contain a poison similar to curare. In Mexico these seeds are used to poison pest animals such as rats.

Hummingbirds love the sweet nectar found in the flowers and are immune to the coral bean toxins. While foragers and hummingbirds may like this shrub, many other land-owners find it to be a somewhat invasive nuisance. The plant produces many seeds which can cause it to quickly spread over an area, rendering it unfit for cattle or other domesticated animals.

The only edible part of this plant are the red flowers and youngest leaves. Both parts must be boiled for 15 minutes to render them safe to eat. Cooking does shrink them the flowers and leaves down quite a bit so you'll want to harvest a lot...but never more than 10% of the flowers and new leaves so to insure the plant stays healthy and can reproduce. Stick to eating leaves 1.0-1.5 inches long, or smaller. The young leaves can also be boiled for a tea which some native tribes considered to be a general health tonic.

_______

I have these growing wild on my property, Its strange as the goats and rams eat these with no ill effects..
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Have a rat problem? Mother nature has a solution and other uses Empty Re: Have a rat problem? Mother nature has a solution and other uses

Post by Jreboll Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:26 pm

In Mexico you can buy Coumadin and mix it with food that house pets would not eat

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Have a rat problem? Mother nature has a solution and other uses Empty Re: Have a rat problem? Mother nature has a solution and other uses

Post by Trailrunner Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:05 pm

In Mexico you can adopt about a dozen cute cats at the cat shelter and be rat free for life. Also scorpions, mice, and other little critters.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:35 pm

Trailrunner wrote:In Mexico you can adopt about a dozen cute cats at the cat shelter and be rat free for life. Also scorpions, mice, and other little critters.

Thumbs up

I have three cats and no rodent or insect problems in the house. Every now and then I find dead scorpions, roaches or spiders -- or body parts thereof. Also occasionally, a dead rat or mouse is left by the door for me. Sadly, I also find dead lizards and occasionally rescue a live one from the Chief Hunter cat.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:06 pm

We haven't used a fumigation service for about 5 years since we got our cat. But he is more expensive since my wife feeds him only top of the ine gourmet cat food. He doesn't do tool sheds either.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:01 pm

I have a black female almost two year old who kiiled 2 snakes! Eventually. She had both in her mouth at the same time.Eventually she kills them.

Everday she hunts field mice. She kills a couple a day that I see or she sneaks in with them. This is just about everyday! If your cat eats mice make sure you worm them regularly. Also check your dogs for worms..

I've never had a huntress this good. I rescued her when she was a baby!
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down