INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving across border without title to car

+3
Intercasa
Trailrunner
jackv
7 posters

Go down

Driving across border without title to car Empty Driving across border without title to car

Post by jackv Tue May 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Is it possible to bring a car into MX w/o having the actual hardcopy title to the vehicle?

jackv

Back to top Go down

Driving across border without title to car Empty Re: Driving across border without title to car

Post by Trailrunner Tue May 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Everything is possible in this country. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

What are you planning to use to prove ownership?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Driving across border without title to car Empty Re: Driving across border without title to car

Post by jackv Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 pm

I was planning to use the title, as I do own the vehicle.

But I decided, back in April, to register my car in South Dakota as my Ohio registration was due. I called the Clay County SD Treasurer to make sure there was enough time, and I was told there was. Unfortunately I was given incomplete information; the process takes longer than I was told, and that delay complicates plans already made. The extra processing time means I may have to delay my drive by 3-5 days, and that means I will lose the travelling companion who was to accompany me from Laredo to Lakeside.

So I was wondering if there was some workaround for not having the title in immediate possession.

jackv

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue May 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Wait for it!

Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear but moving to another country with loose ends in simply not a good idea. Maybe Spencer will weigh-in on this and maybe he knows something magical. Your traveling companion can't wait 2 or 3 days??? And it may not even take 2 or 3 days.

Wait for it.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed May 31, 2017 10:38 am

Yes you can but if car impounded you may not get it back or if totaled no insurance payment
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed May 31, 2017 11:03 am

I had the title for my car when I drove down here nine years ago. No one ever asked to see it. However, I was not involved in an accident or stopped for any moving violation.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Wed May 31, 2017 11:49 am

Didn't you need the title to get the import sticker at the border?
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed May 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Don't remember.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by mtech1950 Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:31 pm

registration will do, even if expired

mtech1950

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:49 pm

If you have a TIP, I doubt anyone will even look. I think you can get a TIP by mail now.

9 years ago, I was told that you had to have the title or a release from the lean holder to get a TIP. I jumped through all kind of hoops to do that and the woman at the consulate in New Mexico never looked at anything. In fact, she never looked up at me either. She took my registration, took my money and I was out in 3 minutes.

As far as I can remember, no one in MX has ever asked about my car title.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down