INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I love a mystery, and I solved this one.

2 posters

Go down

I love a mystery, and I solved this one. Empty I love a mystery, and I solved this one.

Post by Clueless Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:57 am

We're back with the Mexico Departure tax.

I called a Delta reservation person and asked what the departure tax was from Mexico.

It took about 15 minutes total and two sessions on "Hold" and she came back and said the departure tax from Mexico was between US$18-29. I asked why the variance and she said she didn't know but it was probably based on price. I doubted that since there are thousands of different prices on the airlines. But OK, I decided to do my own research.

I want to the Delta online site and started to book GDL to LAX for June 27th. I got to the taxes and finally found a "hidden" link to the breakdown of the taxes for my flight. Mx. Departure tax, $2.01.

I did an exit and went back into Delta and input the same info but this time, GDL to JFK. Went to the tak link and tax was $42.01.

Then I went to AA (American Ari lines) and went through the procedure there; same date (one day), same 2 destinations (LAX and JFK) and - - - drum roll here: Departure tax $42.01.

Sure enough, it was Colonel mustard in the library with a candle stick.

Bottom line:  You figure it out. For me, I'm disputing my last charge and will have all my ducks in a row if questioned.

Now, if I could just find the law again that says residents of Ms. don't have to pay the departure tax.

P.S. My edit (You can thank me later) on how to get your Mexxico departure tax back.

I wonder if there is a limitation on how far back in time one can go for a refund.

=30=
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

I love a mystery, and I solved this one. Empty Re: I love a mystery, and I solved this one.

Post by ColorMeBlue Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:57 pm

I think you are confusing two issues: departure tax vs Mexico Visa Fee.

Your discussion seems to involve a charge to leave Mexico, eg GDL->LAX. But your link concerns what the article terms the Mexican Tourism Tax applied to visitors entering Mexico. Different situation. This tourism tax is actually the fee for a temporary tourist visa that the airlines add into the cost of your ticket. If you enter Mexico by car, you pay your visa fee directly at the port of entry where you get your TIP for the car.

For those of us who have RT or RP visa, we are exempt from the visitor visa fee. If the airlines charge the fee, you can ask for a refund

ColorMeBlue

Back to top Go down

I love a mystery, and I solved this one. Empty Re: I love a mystery, and I solved this one.

Post by Clueless Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:53 pm

OOPS! Reviewing, I don't find where in the Contract of Carriage it specifically says that residents are exempt from the current US$42.01 departure tax, but this is the law in Mexico. I know this since I use to have a copy and cited it in a legal matter. I believe Spencer may still have his copy.

My refunds were for the Departure tax.

I also think if you depart from Mexico, they don't put the "UK" tourism visa tax. You can now access these taxes before you pay on almost alll airlines websites. I couldn't find it on Volaras though.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down