INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

as a permanente, must we sell our foreign plated cars?

+13
slainte39
CHILLIN
Intercasa
Smartalex
Trailrunner
RVGRINGO
CanuckBob
gringal
addtocart
lakeside7
RickS
viejito
Sherman
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

as a permanente, must we sell our foreign plated cars? - Page 2 Empty Re: as a permanente, must we sell our foreign plated cars?

Post by helohfe Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:26 am

Our boy Sherm will never get it..I am especially amazed at his gullibility to run with a 2nd hand rumor..After all the legitimate "NFW" responses..Still charging the Windmill!

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

as a permanente, must we sell our foreign plated cars? - Page 2 Empty Re: as a permanente, must we sell our foreign plated cars?

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:12 pm

I think search time would better be spent finding out what the law actually is, not what a speaker (no matter who it was) at LCS said -- or people at the meeting thought the speaker said.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:51 pm

If Sherman really wants to find an answer he is going to have to ask the right people in Mexico City. That is where these laws were conceived and written. And then it is more important to understand why a law was written, not what it actually purports to be. (For example, this is a lot of the Supreme Court of the U.S.A. has to deal with). I have a very strong suspicion that the people who wrote these laws in Mexico City have a very different idea of an "expat" than what it means here at Lakeside or SMA. It is very unusual to force someone to become a permanent resident or immigrant - in most countries of the world, it is an honour, or prize, to be earned, and respected. I don't understand their thinking on this at all. The immigration reform at the time was supposed to be coming around to what we see in Canada, and now the U.S.A. - attract younger skilled workers, capable of supporting themselves. The Mexican immigration has done nothing at all in this direction. Now unemployment is at 3.3% in Mexico, and these skilled workers are in critical demand worldwide.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:03 pm

helohfe wrote:Our boy Sherm will never get it..I am especially amazed at his gullibility to run with a 2nd hand rumor..After all the legitimate "NFW" responses..Still charging the Windmill!
if you can contribute some constructive, I'd be glad to hear it ... otherwise, this is a waste of everyone's time.
Can you help find someone who was actually at the presentation or find out anything about the person making the presentation and the content, and contact information. That's what constructive looks like.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

Post by viejito Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:24 pm

I think he hangs out in front of Super Lake.......or is it El Torito, I always get those 2 mixed up.

viejito

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:27 pm

???
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:31 pm

Stick with this Sherman - the Transito could very well be correct. This was a law which primarily involved immigration requirements. Many times ramifications in other areas of the law were unanticipated, in this case customs.Maybe it has been corrected now.

To invite retired gringos, with sufficient resources, to live and become a part of Mexico, not as "guests", but contributing to the the greater good, and community. But then - by the way, you have to drive your vehicle all the way back to Canada or the U.S.A. and sell it for pennies on the dollar - sends a completely opposite message. Like getting a boy scout badge for leadership, then getting kicked in the nuts. Something could have easily been worked out without getting everybody frazzled, and with possibly ongoing financial benefits to the Mexican government without having to deal with ridiculously high import fees and custom brokers which are typically nothing more than a band of thieves.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:35 pm

CHILLIN wrote:Stick with this Sherman - the Transito could very well be correct.

Well, between listening to Spencer McMullen and a Transito, I'm thinking I'll probably stick with Spencer.  Dead Horse
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Why don't you read up on how a bill becomes law. Same in the U.S. as Mexico. A very closed group in CDMX.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:16 pm

CHILLIN wrote:Stick with this Sherman - the Transito could very well be correct. This was a law which primarily involved immigration requirements. Many times ramifications in other areas of the law were unanticipated, in this case customs.Maybe it has been corrected now.

To invite retired gringos, with sufficient resources, to live and become a part of Mexico, not as "guests", but contributing to the the greater good, and community. But then - by the way, you have to drive your vehicle all the way back to Canada or the U.S.A. and sell it for pennies on the dollar - sends a completely opposite message. Like getting a boy scout badge for leadership, then getting kicked in the nuts. Something could have easily been worked out without getting everybody frazzled, and with possibly ongoing financial benefits to the Mexican government without having to deal with ridiculously high import fees and custom brokers which are typically nothing more than a band of thieves.

You simply shouldn't bring your vehicle to begin with if you are planning on becoming a resident. Can you show any other country that let's it's residents drive around in foreign plated vehicles?? Half of Vancouver would be vehicles with Chinese and Indian plates. It is common knowledge now that you can't keep your vehicle after becoming a permanente so don't feel sorry for those stuck with a vehicle down here.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:44 pm

When people come in on temporal with a vehicle, they don't necessarily know they are going to become "Permanent", so they bring the car they have, loaded with what they need right away. Otherwise, what? Fly in and instantly buy a Mexican plated car? As it is, they have some time to decide whether this is for the long term and they have several years to dispose of their car, sometimes at a much better price than they would get from the border pirates at the last minute to comply with the law.
It's best if they know up front that they can't keep the car if they become permanent residents.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Exactly, but some will not accept reality and tend to believe in the faith healers that have them send their donation to shy locks on TV (or the regularization shysters) in hopes of a miracle..Get a life.

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 am

[quote="
You simply shouldn't bring your vehicle to begin with if you are planning on becoming a resident. Can you show any other country that let's it's residents drive around in foreign plated vehicles?? Half of Vancouver would be vehicles with Chinese and Indian plates. It is common knowledge now that you can't keep your vehicle after becoming a permanente  so don't feel sorry for those stuck with a vehicle down here.[/quote]

That is not true and is completely unfair. When we came in 2011, they didn't care where your vehicle was from or how long you kept it, as long as you maintained your visa. It was a sudden, and completely unexpected pivot. Another issue was many Americans did not want to become immigrants, One I know was in his 90's, a great man, fought in WW2, married a Mexican woman, raised a great son here, involved with the Legion - he complained bitterly that he wanted to keep renewing his FM3-- as per the past twenty five years. I didn't feel right for him to accept permanent residence/immigration - it was a betrayl of his home country. Many old timers feel/felt this way. To be forced to become an immigrant is a little too communist or borg to them.

U.S.A. allows a vehicle one year max, no exceptions, Canada allows importation of one vehicle, you have to prove ownership of at least a year. In Canada they reissue plates and registration for your jurisdiction - which is exactly what they should have done in Mexico. Mexico and Canada are almost impossible to immigrate to without a vehicle for your family, your pets and your stuff. This especially, if you have been hired to any occupation with enough money to live in the suburbs or near suburbs - getting to work, getting and picking up kids from school, think about it.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 am

If you read my post you will notice I said "common knowledge now" not 6 years ago although in doing our due diligence from 2007 to 2012 we learned that it was inevitable that Mexico was going to eliminate the ownership of foreign plated cars for permanent residents (FM2 in those days). I know people who just arrived in the past 3 years and are stuck with a car here even though FT residence was their plan.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am

helohfe wrote:Exactly, but some will not accept reality and tend to believe in the faith healers that have them send their donation to shy locks on TV (or the regularization shysters) in hopes of a miracle..Get a life.

Tiny thoughts, from a tiny mind - if you are going to envoke racist Shakespearean memes - at least get the spelling right.

Last edited by CHILLIN on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:19 am

CanuckBob wrote:If you read my post you will notice I said "common knowledge now" not 6 years ago although in doing our due diligence from 2007 to 2012 we learned that it was inevitable that Mexico was going to eliminate the ownership of foreign plated cars for permanent residents (FM2 in those days). I know people who just arrived in the past 3 years and are stuck with a car here even though FT residence was their plan.

And if you read my post - there was never any expectation that they would eliminate the FM-3 "Guest", "Long Term" visitor - not that they eliminated it, just made it extremely difficult and expensive to renew unless you were from the border areas of the U.S.A. I'm afraid no one has come forward with any sane explanation of how and why the Mexican government came about these decisions. Maybe it covers so few people, they just don't care. Some things are not worth fixing. I think they are wrong, an influx of skilled, motivated immigrants and well heeled retirees can offer huge benefits to a country like Mexico.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:32 am

If bringing your car here is a deal breaker best to stay home.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:01 am

CHILLIN wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:If you read my post you will notice I said "common knowledge now" not 6 years ago although in doing our due diligence from 2007 to 2012 we learned that it was inevitable that Mexico was going to eliminate the ownership of foreign plated cars for permanent residents (FM2 in those days). I know people who just arrived in the past 3 years and are stuck with a car here even though FT residence was their plan.

And if you read my post - there was never any expectation that they would eliminate the FM-3 "Guest", "Long Term" visitor - not that they eliminated it, just made it extremely difficult and expensive to renew unless you were from the border areas of the U.S.A. I'm afraid no one has come forward with any sane explanation of how and why the Mexican government came about these decisions. Maybe it covers so few people, they just don't care. Some things are not worth fixing. I think they are wrong, an influx of skilled, motivated immigrants and well heeled retirees can offer huge benefits to a country like Mexico.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what do you mean about the "border areas" and the FM3 status?

How is the ban on foreign plated cars getting in the way of "skilled, motivated immigrants and well heeled retirees" coming to Mexico?  If you're "well heeled", your car is not a big item in your overall asset picture.

Car cost in an individual choice. You don't need a $40,000 SUV to drive around here. Taxi drivers seem to get around just fine on a cheapo vehicle.  A car seems like a very minor part of a decision to emigrate to a foreign country.  As CBOB said, if it's a deal breaker......don't.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:36 am

As far as I know, in recent history, Mexico has never promoted herself as a destination for skilled immigrants, entrepreneur investors, or self sufficient pensioners/retirees. They only promote tourism. They were going to start, but it never happened. There are actually very few countries in the world which promote themselves a immigration destinations.

I am sort of in the middle of Cbob and Gringal on this one. Bring in a reliable, used vehicle with foreign plates. Get moved in and running around over with. Make sure the vehicle is not worth so much that it will hurt if they take it away. Buy a Mexican plated vehicle when your are ready, then scrap or preferably export the old one.

By the way Gringal, entering Canada by way of sacks of loot ended a few years ago now. It is still allowed in the U.S.A. though, ask the Kushners. 73% of U.S. investor visas are sold in China- buy in is only $500,000 U.S. (which is returned over time, but most often with no interest)
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:01 am

The current "sack of loot" is $400,000, according to this article:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/18/news/donald-trump-move-to-canada/index.html

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am

Well - yes, I forgot about Quebec. They have always been allow their own rules where immigration is concerned: Very few of these immigrants stick around however, and there is nothing they can do about it.

http://www.immigration.ca/quebec-immigrant-investor-program/
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 am

CHILLIN wrote:Well - yes, I forgot about Quebec. They have always been allow their own rules where immigration is concerned: Very few of these immigrants stick around however, and there is nothing they can do about it.

How could anyone forget about Quebec, the largest French speaking area in the Western Hemisphere. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:34 am

CHILLIN wrote:Well - yes, I forgot about Quebec. They have always been allow their own rules where immigration is concerned: Very few of these immigrants stick around however, and there is nothing they can do about it.

Quebec's sack of loot is amazingly high, and my French is mighty rusty from disuse. I think the "sunshine coast" has more general appeal.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 am

CHILLIN wrote:I am sort of in the middle of Cbob and Gringal on this one. Bring in a reliable, used vehicle with foreign plates. Get moved in and running around over with. Make sure the vehicle is not worth so much that it will hurt if they take it away. Buy a Mexican plated vehicle when your are ready, then scrap or preferably export the old one.

We rented a car from Mark Turford for the first few months when we arrived here and then Mark helped us to source our first used mini van. If your intention is to be here permanently, bringing any car from Canada is absolutely ridiculous IMO. Perhaps your advise would be good for those living very near the US/Mexico border otherwise "fugget about it".........

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:30 pm

That is sound advice CB - it didn't workout that way for us. It accepts the reality of what is. I am suggesting a reality of what could be, what should be - if you want to attract a young family from Silicon Valley to work on your robots, it would be nice if they could just load up the mini van they probably already own, get state plates and licensing when they get here. Seamless - how much financial harm has taken place - the Mexican government will be taxing these families for many years to come. This is working for Canada, which processes 300,000 immigrants per year, Mexico, well under a quarter of that.
This is also happening in Australia, of course they are not driving mini vans - but many are plenty smart enough to build mini submarines.

https://qz.com/638881/while-americans-feud-australia-is-stealing-away-immigrants-with-sought-after-skills/
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:48 pm

CHILLIN wrote:That is sound advice CB - it didn't workout that way for us. It accepts the reality of what is. I am suggesting a reality of what could be, what should be - if you want to attract a young family from Silicon Valley to work on your robots, it would be nice if they could just load up the mini van they probably own, get state plates and licensing when they get here. Seamless - how much financial harm has taken place - the Mexican government will be taxing these families for many years to come. This is working for Canada, which processes 300,000 immigrants per year, Mexico, well under a quarter of that.

One of the reasons given was that it was to help the Mexican auto sales industry, which I'm sure it did!
And in any case, once you move to Mexico, you give up using the word "should". Anyone who's been here over a year or so knows why.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next