INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forty Minutes

+12
goleafsgo
Rosa Venus
brigitte
CanuckBob
slainte39
suegarn
gringal
ferret
Gamina
coffeeguy
Lady Otter Latté
Trailrunner
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Forty Minutes - Page 3 Empty Re: Forty Minutes

Post by Trailrunner Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Hey, new guy! I know who you are. lolol

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by goleafsgo Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Hey Trailrunner:
Well say hello next time you see me!!!!!!!

goleafsgo

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Good thing that most of us have nowhere to be at any particular time......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:04 pm

slainte39 wrote:
ferret wrote:Thanks for the confirmation slainte39. I was going to say 20 years for the car culture but I'm not sure exactly when credit for cars became available. That has certainly fuelled the boom.
BTW, in Toronto, the other name for the Don Valley Parkway is the Don Valley Parking Lot... at certain times of the day.

Blame it on Pancho Villa, as I, a long time ago, saw his bullet ridden automobile at his hacienda up in Chihuahua. I'm sure there were others before him.
Maybe, Carretera Chapala-Jocotopec connected by Ajijic Parking lot for through traffic with machines at the entrada  and salida to raise some revenue.  40 min, or up to one hour= minimum charge.

LOL. The question was a serious one slainte39. What year, in the past 20, did the car dealerships in Mexico start offering credit to the public for the purchase of new cars.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lakeside7 Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Best I can recall is 4/5 years ago credit was introduced

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:34 pm

The only way that we can reduce traffic jams is to have all physically capable people take the bus (unless you're doing your weekly grocery shopping with many bags). I take the bus every day and they're very efficient! Another idea is that any vehicles that don't have a handicapped tag must be occupied by three or more people (car-pooling).

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Nice idea Sue but I think that idea will go over like a screen door in a submarine with our Mexican neighbours. We are a very small population compared to the Tapatios that are here on the weekends. Somebody actually want to stand at a main intersection and record WHO is driving all those vehicles? I don't drive during prime time any more than I would stand in a line in the bank at prime time. Why would I when I have all the time in the world.
This article is about car financing in Mexico...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160718/RETAIL01/307189985/automaker-financing-unleashes-mexico-sales
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Great comparison! (screen door)
I think it's a bad idea to introduce behavior controlling legislation, since we had more than enough of it back where we came from. Like recycling and picking up your pup's poop, people who have a social conscience will not use their cars unless their physical condition warrants it.  I don't have much hope for that happening, but you never know.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:50 pm

To me it's like how the first world nations looted, pillaged and polluted the world to get where they are and then turn around and try to stop developing nations from doing the same thing........

You can pry my steering wheel from my cold dead hands......jaja.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:03 am

Well then, there is always the Cd. de Mexico method of vehicle control, that could come here.  Seeing the difficulty that some foreigners have figuring out the last number of their placas for emission control inspections on an annual basis, I can only imagine the compliance that would happen on a weekly basis with that system.
1 x 52 = a friggen mess.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:24 pm

OK so I guess we need to start a truth-in-advertising campaign to ditch the hopeless Pueblo Magico campaign for "Pueblo Embotellamiento" (Gridlocked Village). Very Happy

Not that it's gonna happen, but a half dozen or dozen more buses plying the local routes and buses and taxis that ran until 10 p.m. or so rather than quitting at dusk would go a really long way towards making car-free life here realistic for locals and expats alike. But hey, why put money into that when you can build a bike lane through Ajijic that over a dozen people will use on a daily basis.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:45 am

gringal wrote:Even if all the drivers of all types of vehicles were sensible and courteous......the problem remains:  this level of traffic requires a massive solution or we will always be crawling along during low or high season, so my question remains: Have the Powers That Be come up with a prospective permanent solution?  I heard some suggestions about going around the towns on the mountain side, but the problem there is land ownership and grade.  Anyone with more information?
Lacking a real solution, we may need to keep a supply of audio books in the car to lessen our frustration.  It's what many commuters on the Los Angeles freeway system did in the normal gridlock there.

I don't know if this has been mentioned  and it won't work here however in other places in Mx it might. Their putting freeways under existing freeways..  Their doing impact, environmental studies and are finding this is a viable solution, now funding is the billion dollar problem and delays.
No easy solutions that for sure
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:03 am

Here's  a snippet..
"TxDOT, though, shed light on a number of potential effects of removing, lowering or replacing I-345 last year when it released the initial draft of a study of downtown Dallas highways called CityMAP.

That report found that rebuilding I-345 as a trenched highway below street level or removing it altogether may not substantially worsen traffic in and around the urban core. In fact, the study concluded that depending on how other downtown highways are rebuilt, removing or lowering I-345 could slightly ease congestion compared to just reconfiguring some of the its entrance and exit ramps or not updating it at all.

At the same time, the study found that removing or lowering the highway could free up enough developable land to spur a population and job boom in the area. That, in turn, could increase city tax revenues by the millions and property values by the billions. "
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/30/dallas-freeway-lands-national-list-targets-highway/
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 am

Yes, look how well that worked out for Los Angeles. Just add different levels of freeways and no more gridlock. lol!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Yes, look how well that worked out for Los Angeles. Just add different levels of freeways and no more gridlock. lol!

Exactly! Rather than looking at the U.S. for models (let's face it, not a good idea for much of anything anymore) one just wishes México would look to Spain and to Europe generally for good models on how to deal with transportation - namely by funding mass transit first and foremost. México's long distance luxury bus system is pretty darn great - I find it impossible to explain to people in the U.S. since there is truly nothing like it there other than maybe business class on a plane - but the local bus system at Lakeside leaves a lot to be desired.

As others have pointed out, with a rising middle class and now financing for cars being available the crush of car traffic is only going to get worse as Lakeside functions more and more as a suburb of and playground for Guadalajara. A strong bus system (which would have to be subsidized) and taxis that operate when people need them to would at least let the locals here live car-free and that would help a great deal. Not likely to happen, obviously but we sure need it here. This is one area where San Miguel de Allende thoroughly kicks Lakeside's butt.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viejito Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 am

A strong bus system (which would have to be subsidized)

Why is it that these "marvelous ideas" always have to "be subsidized"? Maybe because those ideas are not shared by enough other people? "But it's for your own good, you're just not smart enough to see that. I, your all-caring ruler, will tell you what's best for you. Make sure your "fair share" is paid on time, or else".

viejito

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 am

Sometimes you have to pay to improve your own conveniences, like picking up your neighbors garbage so it doesn't blow into your yard.
Old people subsidize younger peoples education, so the there isn't a nation of uneducated idiots, but that doesn't always work 100% of time.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:07 am

slainte39 wrote:Sometimes you have to pay to improve your own conveniences, like picking up your neighbors garbage so it doesn't blow into your yard.
Old people subsidize younger peoples education, so the there isn't a nation of uneducated idiots, but that doesn't always work 100% of time.

...As has been demonstrated in some countries. Very Happy

I've got nothing against subsidizing a solution within affordable limits, but I don't see any practical solution for this particular area which is sandwiched between a lake and some sizable mountains, and where CarLove is so well established. We can preach buses till we're blue, but few can and will go for it.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by viejito Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:15 am

slainte39 wrote:Sometimes you have to pay to improve your own conveniences, like picking up your neighbors garbage so it doesn't blow into your yard.

Well subsidizing education is usually supported by the vast majority of voters almost wherever you go. Those referendums are usually easily passed (not always) which indicates a willingness to pay voluntarily. When the "rulers" push something through that has not been endorsed by a majority there are frequently problems that follow. Take mass immigration into Europe for example. I suspect the masses were never consulted on their willingness to accept that many immigrants. But who is willing to publicly say that? The charges of bigotry and selfishness would rain down upon their heads.

viejito

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:32 am

A lot of the traffic in Ajijic is passing through to SJC, Joco and beyond. The only solution will be another mountainside bypass from the libremiento to the other bypass in Joco. They could include an off/on ramp around SJC.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:06 am

That's been on a agenda in years past but never gained any traction.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:14 am

I think it can't gain traction because most of that land is Ejido land AND it's really steep.
How about the other side of the mountain? Just before the climb up on the Chapala/Guadalajara highway? Is that Ejido land too? It certainly is flatter and easier to build... could join the Joco bypass. Dunno, just throwing out ideas.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 am

I've heard there is consideration being given to renovating Ocampo for use as another (more local) thorofare. In the old days Ocampa was the the main way thru Ajijic. Better traffic light timing would help. Also having 2 major one-way streets is a possibility.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:04 pm

ferret wrote:I think it can't gain traction because most of that land is Ejido land AND it's really steep.
How about the other side of the mountain? Just before the climb up on the Chapala/Guadalajara highway? Is that Ejido land too? It certainly is flatter and easier to build... could join the Joco bypass. Dunno, just throwing out ideas.
The Joco bypass was also steep and built on Ejido land so that's not a show stopper...

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3