INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Careful of your choice of Antibiotics

5 posters

Go down

Careful of your choice of Antibiotics Empty Careful of your choice of Antibiotics

Post by ferret Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Cipro is handed out like candy here. Please read this warning.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03267-5

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Careful of your choice of Antibiotics Empty Re: Careful of your choice of Antibiotics

Post by Kiri Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:34 pm

ferret wrote:Cipro is handed out like candy here. Please read this warning.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03267-5

This is one antibiotic I will never use again. Only took 2 doses and it was a hard lesson....
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Careful of your choice of Antibiotics Empty Re: Careful of your choice of Antibiotics

Post by Gamina Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:24 pm

Cipro has had a black box warning for a couple of years. Having an antibiotic resistant UTI or a very serious sinus infection or on the verge of death from an infection would be the ONLY time to take Cipro. The docs here prescribe it waaaay too often. And are clearly not keeping up with modern medicine or prescription recommendations.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:40 pm

When you pick up an Rx you get info. It describes side effects. Be aware.
Side effects have caused me ongoing unnecessary problems.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 pm

I've only gotten written info for one medication in 13 years. I always google the drug before I fill a new prescription.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 am

I don't take prescription meds but I used to do a lot of googling for my hubby. It's not only the info on a new med that should be looked up but also how well they play with other meds that are being taken. Interactions can be nasty.
https://www.drugs.com/
On the above site, one of the headings is "Interactions Checker". If you click on it, you can put all your meds in it and it will give ALL interactions and quantify the degree of negative interaction. Even some supplements can be included.
Please be safe and do your due diligence.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:58 am

Wonderful. Cipro is one of the few antibiotics I'm not allergic to. Poo
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 am

A friend was just prescribed Cipro for an persistent UTI and was warned not to do any exercise or heavy lifting while taking it. She can walk but no stretching or strenuous exercise. You can get ruptured tendons from Cipro, hence the black box warning. For her the condition is worse than the possible side effects, IF she is careful.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:18 am

An interesting read for those interested in some of the perils of antibiotics...
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/too-many-antibiotics-can-give-preemies-lifetime-ill-health
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down