INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeking advice re: terminating unqualified gardener

+6
ferret
gringal
mexilady
doc holiday
cypress
Sarita
10 posters

Go down

Seeking advice re: terminating unqualified gardener   Empty Seeking advice re: terminating unqualified gardener

Post by Sarita Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Help! I have a property currently being rented, just went down to see it after nearly 3 yrs absence. Found that gardener does nothing but sweep 8 hrs/week while extensive collection of beautiful tropical plants & trees are literally dying from neglect. Apparently, he was not as qualified as he pretended to be when hired. Found better qualified gardener to come in 4 hrs week to try to save garden from total devastation, allowing old gardener to continue 4 hrs/week doing very basic clean-up (all he can do!). The catch is, the two are brothers and old gardener was refererred to me by new gardeners wife, who is my housekeeper! (oh, how tangled things become in Mexico!). Old gardener found out new gardener is his brother and refuses to share position with him- apparently there is 'bad blood' between them now or has been for awhile. Property manager recommending old gardener be 'let go' I guess, fired? Problem is, I see trouble brewing, not just in their family. I don't want accusations of 'termination without just cause' and legal issues arising. All is going through property manager, she says to terminate quickly or he might take revenge on me/my property. Jayzus!

Sarita

Back to top Go down

Seeking advice re: terminating unqualified gardener   Empty Re: Seeking advice re: terminating unqualified gardener

Post by cypress Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:40 am

Terminate the old gardener Asap.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Seeking advice re: terminating unqualified gardener   Empty Re: Seeking advice re: terminating unqualified gardener

Post by doc holiday Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 am

Make a list of what he does not do or does wrong, if he is late, does not show, or leaves early, or does not follow orders of directions. Get rid f him ASAP.

If he comes back at you for money present your reasons.

doc holiday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

Back to top Go down

Post by mexilady Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:37 am

I would also question why the property manager didn't know this was going on and do something about it!

mexilady

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 am

mexilady wrote:I would also question why the property manager didn't know this was going on and do something about it!

Along with terminating the gardener, I'd change property managers.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:14 am

Go and see a lawyer and do this properly. It will be worth it in the long run and costs a pittance.
I agree with Gringal and, imho, I would not hire ANYONE without a reference so you can question that the person is qualified to do the work, in a timely manner and in a consistent manner.
Suerte!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:25 pm

First questio is, who is the employer? You or the property management company. If the latter, it my be with contract and that would make things easier.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:36 pm

It is time to move on from everyone in the family who works or has worked for you and fire your management company.  Have an attorney determine their severance figures.  Yes, even the housekeeper.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:12 pm

If you're going to fire relatives, make a clean sweep of all of them, as Solajijic suggested, or there will be consequences you won't want. Then, change all the locks. Believe me, that last step is essential.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Problematic situation and I don't see any easy way out that wouldn't result in retaliation.

I think if it were me, I'd try to buy them all off. Hire a lawyer to negotiate a price to make them ALL go away with the understanding they are not allowed to be on the property. Ever. Change locks. If you can make them happy with the money maybe they won't retaliate.

If there's a dog take care that it doesn't get poisoned. Muy buena suerte.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarita Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Good news. The gardener just resigned. Not in writing, but verbally, to the property manager. Now my question is: who pays him his aguinaldo- me, the property owner, or the tenant who paid his salary directly the past 2 yrs?

Sarita

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:55 pm

If he quits I believe he is owed nothing although they might want to get his resignation in writing.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Proportional Aguinaldo is still owed... as is proportional vacation pay.

This is a real can of worms. Do not ASSUME anything. Go and see a lawyer NOW and start over. If you don't have payment and hours signed for... and Aguinaldo signed for... and vacation pay signed for... for ANY of the employees then you are in a very vulnerable position and your management company has put you there.

Clean slate is required, as stated in the above posts.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Agree. CYA.

The only thing you don't have to pay when the employee quits is finiquito.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 am

Sorry, I had confused the two.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarita Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks, all. Have asked manager to have him sign. Sure don't want legal hassles with this!

Sarita

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:35 am

Trailrunner wrote:Agree. CYA.

The only thing you don't have to pay when the employee quits is finiquito.

That is not what I hear. Regardless of whether you quit or are fired the employer has to pay finiquito according to 2 lawyers working on a case here. A 16 year employee in my fraccionamiento quit. The Board hasn't paid him his finiquito as they claim they have no money. Meanwhile 2 lawyers are taking up this employee's claim for finiquito. They are certain the employer has to pay finiquito. Their claim for finiquito is working it's way through the court system. First in Guadalajara and then in Chapala. It will be interesting to see how this is resolved. Maybe it depends on certain circumstances.
I will post where this ends up.

Last edited by cypress on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:58 pm

If a person quits, then no finiquito is owed. What IS owed is the proportional Aguinaldo and the proportional vacation pay. Of course, people do lie, after the fact, that they didn't quit.
If someone informs you that they are quitting then get it in writing then and there and have them sign and date it. Cover your a$$.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down