INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Cell phone won't stay charged

Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by FeelinGroovy83 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 am

Good morning all,

I have a Samsung phone that is ~3.5 years old. It won't hold a charge. I left it plugged in over night and after unplugging and turning it on, it has lost 80% of its charge in just a couple of hours.

Can it be fixed?

Any info/ideas welcome.

Thank you,

Libby
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2014-02-19

http://www.libbyshipmanart.com

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by brigitte on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 am

I had the same problem with a different brand and after trying various chargers found a charger that would work. Are you sure it is your phone?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3664
Join date : 2011-12-02

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by FeelinGroovy83 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:50 am

brigitte wrote:I had the same problem with a different brand and after trying various chargers found a charger that would work. Are you sure it is your phone?

I'm not sure of anything. It gets plugged into the wall with the AC adapter that came with it. How would I check that?
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2014-02-19

http://www.libbyshipmanart.com

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by ferret on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:00 am

Is the charge showing 100% when you first turn the phone on in the morning?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5140
Join date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by FeelinGroovy83 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:05 am

ferret wrote:Is the charge showing 100% when you first turn the phone on in the morning?

Yesterday it was, for sure, and then it was really low in the middle of the afternoon and I hadn't even used it.
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2014-02-19

http://www.libbyshipmanart.com

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by Kiri on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 am

May be a call for a battery change. Battery life approximately 2 years.

According to Recon Analytics, the average lifespan of a smartphone is about 21 months.
https://www.psafe.com/en/blog/how-long-android-phones-last/



Last edited by Kiri on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 619
Join date : 2012-06-05

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by ferret on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 am

Also... is your wall outlet grounded? I plug my cell phone into it's AC adapter and then plug the AC adapter into a surge protector and the surge protector is plugged into a voltage regulator which is plugged into a grounded outlet in the wall. I've lived in Mexico a long time. ;)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5140
Join date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by mattoleriver on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Is this a new problem? You may have a power gobbling app running in the background.
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 484
Join date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by FeelinGroovy83 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 pm

ferret wrote:Also... is your wall outlet grounded? I plug my cell phone into it's AC adapter and then plug the AC adapter into a surge protector and the surge protector is plugged into a voltage regulator which is plugged into a grounded outlet in the wall. I've lived in Mexico a long time. ;)

The outlets are all grounded in my house but I only use a surge protector for the TV. That's a good idea to use it for the phone.

I think the battery replacement is probably what I will have to do, but it's better than buying another phone.

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I've been here a long time too, but it's easy to forget.
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2014-02-19

http://www.libbyshipmanart.com

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by FeelinGroovy83 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 pm

mattoleriver wrote:Is this a new problem? You may have a power gobbling app running in the background.

Yes, it's a new problem, and I probably need to delete some apps I am not using. Thanks for the suggestion. It couldn't hurt!
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2014-02-19

http://www.libbyshipmanart.com

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by oatsie on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Depending on the model of your phone, new batteries are relatively cheap and easy to install.

This one is in Cdn. dollars.

https://www.amazon.ca/Original-Samsung-Battery-EBBG920ABE-EB-BG920ABE/dp/B01F7U7QEA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542320211&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+s6+new+battery

Ana at the TelCel store on the side street at the west end of Bugambilias plaza can do it for you if you don't want to DIY.
oatsie
oatsie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 304
Join date : 2010-04-17
Age : 75
Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by FeelinGroovy83 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:46 pm

oatsie wrote:Depending on the model of your phone, new batteries are relatively cheap and easy to install.

This one is in Cdn. dollars.

https://www.amazon.ca/Original-Samsung-Battery-EBBG920ABE-EB-BG920ABE/dp/B01F7U7QEA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542320211&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+s6+new+battery

Ana at the TelCel store on the side street at the west end of Bugambilias plaza can do it for you if you don't want to DIY.

Thank you, I'll check it out.
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2014-02-19

http://www.libbyshipmanart.com

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by kiko on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:34 am

When I replaced my samsung battery, the tech told me not to leave the phone on the charger overnite. Better to leave the phone charging only up until it reaches 100% and then disconnect from the charger.

kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 417
Join date : 2014-09-10

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by Kiri on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:43 am

kiko wrote:When I replaced my samsung battery, the tech told me not to leave the phone on the charger overnite. Better to leave the phone charging only up until it reaches 100% and then disconnect from the charger.
You've been charging your smartphone wrong
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-way-to-charge-your-smartphone-2018-1

If you typically keep your phone's charge level between 25% and 75%, you most likely won't cause too much long-term damage.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 619
Join date : 2012-06-05

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by FeelinGroovy83 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:32 am

Kiri wrote:
kiko wrote:When I replaced my samsung battery, the tech told me not to leave the phone on the charger overnite. Better to leave the phone charging only up until it reaches 100% and then disconnect from the charger.
You've been charging your smartphone wrong
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-way-to-charge-your-smartphone-2018-1

If you typically keep your phone's charge level between 25% and 75%, you most likely won't cause too much long-term damage.

Well... alrighty, then. I will do this.

But, doncha think the designers of the battery should put in a stop function at 85% and 25%?
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2014-02-19

http://www.libbyshipmanart.com

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by ferret on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:00 am

And doncha think your smart phone should KNOW when it's battery is fully charged and stop charging and shut itself off?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5140
Join date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by FeelinGroovy83 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:06 am

ferret wrote:And doncha think your smart phone should KNOW when it's battery is fully charged and stop charging and shut itself off?

Exactly! So much for being "smart!"
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2014-02-19

http://www.libbyshipmanart.com

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by MexicoPete on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:21 am

All you need is an iPhone X or newer and it is all done for you.

Only kidding. I just charge my iPhone once per day from about 85% to near 100% and I have never had to buy a new battery. I do get a newer iPhone though every 4 or so years, though.

The sad thing is, it sounds like that new battery of yours needs to be replaced.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1851
Join date : 2012-04-21
Age : 109
Location : Ajijic, Seattle, & Vancouver Island

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by Kiri on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:50 pm

FeelinGroovy83 wrote:
Kiri wrote:
kiko wrote:When I replaced my samsung battery, the tech told me not to leave the phone on the charger overnite. Better to leave the phone charging only up until it reaches 100% and then disconnect from the charger.
You've been charging your smartphone wrong
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-way-to-charge-your-smartphone-2018-1

If you typically keep your phone's charge level between 25% and 75%, you most likely won't cause too much long-term damage.


Well... alrighty, then. I will do this.

But, doncha think the designers of the battery should put in a stop function at 85% and 25%?
My phone announces when the charge is charged to the preset level.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 619
Join date : 2012-06-05

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by ferret on Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:00 pm

That's true Kiri but there is no way that I'm going to hear that little "BOINK" when I'm fast asleep.
Most people I know do plug in their phones to charge overnight and unplug them in the morning.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5140
Join date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by Axixic on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Not to cause any concern but I had the exact same situation with a Samsung phone and eventually the battery became swollen and destroyed the phone. When I took it in for repairs (and was told it was toast) I was advised, in future, to replace the battery when it failed to hold a charge and not keep attempting to charge it. Apparently this is a common issue for batteries used by Samsung.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1553
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 62
Location : Axixic

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by Kiri on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Axixic wrote:Not to cause any concern but I had the exact same situation with a Samsung phone and eventually the battery became swollen and destroyed the phone. When I took it in for repairs (and was told it was toast) I was advised, in future, to replace the battery when it failed to hold a charge and not keep attempting to charge it. Apparently this is a common issue for batteries used by Samsung.

Actually ANY battery used in a cell phone.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 619
Join date : 2012-06-05

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by RVGRINGO on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:28 pm

It is not a good idea to continually 'top up' the charge in those batteries. It is better to let it do its work, and then tell you when it needs charging. Batteries last longer if they are run down to 'almost dead' and then recharged to a full charge.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1388
Join date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Cell phone won't stay charged Empty Re: Cell phone won't stay charged

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum