INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have searched Google but I would like to know why thoughts from any boots on the ground.

+6
CanuckBob
RVGRINGO
mattoleriver
ltollefs
Gamina
Problem Child
10 posters

Go down

I have searched Google but I would like to know why thoughts from any boots on the ground. Empty I have searched Google but I would like to know why thoughts from any boots on the ground.

Post by Problem Child Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 am

I use my computer for surfing, d/l jog docs, printing/scanning and really, that's about it.

I don't do gaming, number crunching, multi-screen/tasking.

Other than what I have found, pro and con, does anyone here have any reason why I should "downgrade" to W-7?

I will put in a good (paid) anti-virus, spam catcher/killer, adaware, etc.

I also need to figure how to make sure MS doesn't force an upgrade. I read MS can do it w/o asking.

Thanks.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

I have searched Google but I would like to know why thoughts from any boots on the ground. Empty Re: I have searched Google but I would like to know why thoughts from any boots on the ground.

Post by Gamina Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 am

If you have W-10 and are happy with it, why downgrade?
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

I have searched Google but I would like to know why thoughts from any boots on the ground. Empty Re: I have searched Google but I would like to know why thoughts from any boots on the ground.

Post by Problem Child Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 am

Gamina wrote:If you have W-10 and are happy with it, why downgrade?

Because I am not happy with it, as are millions of others from the look of the posts.

There are so many bugs, they can't be counted. And my Ex has spent a lot of money NOB on getting here computers back up and running due to issues w/W-10.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 pm

I know I'm wasting my time, but it's mine to waste; so here we go again. Linux is the answer. Always free, stable, easy to use, virus free (compared to windows), runs really well on older equipment. There are literally thousands of applications, all free, easily obtained and installed; usually a few clicks of the mouse.There is even a couple of distributions that are designed to look like Windows 7.

https://itsfoss.com/windows-like-linux-distributions/

http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2019/01/6-myths-that-scare-away-new-linux-users.html
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Problem Child wrote:I use my computer  for surfing, d/l jog docs, printing/scanning and really, that's about it....

...I also need to figure how to make sure MS doesn't force an upgrade. I read MS can do it w/o asking...
Really think about what you have written.

ltollefs wrote:...Linux is the answer....
Be very careful, I think that Itollefs may be recruiting for a cult offering something that sounds too good to be true. Linux is not free if it costs you your soul!  I had a friend who tried Linux once and now he is a dope fiend living under a bridge.

What you really need is a Chromebook. Shit stirring
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Or, a Mac.  Yes, they cost morek to purchase; for a reason....several reasons. But, they cost less to own and operate for a very long time without all of those MS problems everyone posts about constantly.
smash comp

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:10 pm

On Lynix, can I install Adobe Reader? MS Word? BlueVoda Website Builder? Sampson Image Resizer? PowerPoint?

Everything I read about Lynix includes talking about games, which I never use.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Problem Child wrote:Everything I read about Lynix includes talking about games, which I never use.

Nor your brain, apparently.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Didn't you just say "I use my computer for surfing, d/l jog docs, printing/scanning and really, that's about it."?? Now you need it to perform image re-sizing, website building and powerpoint? I am confused.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Didn't you just say "I use my computer for surfing, d/l jog docs, printing/scanning and really, that's about it."?? Now you need it to perform image re-sizing, website building and powerpoint? I am confused.

Image resizing, PowerPoint and BlueVoda awe just programs. I wanted to know if Linyx supports these programs.

I think I'm best just going w/tried and true W-7/

Thanks all for the input.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Other considerations aside, from your described needs I would recommend going with Windows 7. Retrograding from 10 to 7 can be a little tricky. Assuming you are doing so from a disk, you will have to change the boot order of your rig to start from your DVD/CD Drive. And I am pretty sure you will lose all saved files and installed programs in the process so back-up everything first.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Being a senior citizen I must admit it took a little longer to learn Win 10 that it would have for a younger person. But I love my Dell Inspiron with 8 GB of memory and a 256 GB SSD, 2 in 1 laptop that I paid $649.99 for it, when it was on sale more than a year ago.

With the solid state drive, the thing boots up in less than one minute and I am in 7th heaven.

No I have not learned how to use EDGE yet, but the latest Internet Explorer 11 works just great for me.

Do I automatically update? No I usually wait about a week and if no problems are discovered by others, I allow the update to download.

I don't have any problems, other than those caused by forgetting how to do something because of my age.  :)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave W. Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Personally, I use Windows 10 and am very happy with it. Microsoft won't support Windows 7 after Jan.14, 2020 and you'll have to do an upgrade just to be safe, anyways, unless you switch to a non-windows operating system. Then you'll have a bit of a learning curve to deal with as well as new software purchases.

Dave W.

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Note that discontinuing support for any version of Windows has almost no impact on users. Your Windows Defender will continue to be updated. If that doesn't work for you, there are any number of "free" antivirus tools on the Web.

Since most updates tend to do more harm than good, it's a no-brainer. Your version of Windows will only stop being useful when other companies stop making software that works on it. And those companies tend to be the ones who make Web browsers. If you have a version of PhotoShop (for example) that works on your machine now, it will continue to work forever.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down