INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clothes Shopping in Mexico

+13
raqueteer
johninajijic
CheenaGringo
espíritu del lago
CanuckBob
simpsca
bimini6
Hensley
Parker
hockables
ferret
gringal
Chapalagringa
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Clothes Shopping in Mexico Empty Clothes Shopping in Mexico

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Speaking of good customer service and timing while being waited on in a restaurant in the tipping thread, I got to thinking about clothes shopping in Mexico.

Call me a wierdo, but I'm still used to helping myself or self service while shopping. I've lived here 8 years and if I'm not in the mood to be followed in a store, I will walk out. I've been followed in a department store and felt like I was being watched as a potential shoplifter. Especially if I am the only customer at the moment. I'm already nervous about the unknown and they're asking me what if I'm looking for something in particular. Even if I could communicate well enough what it is and if I do answer, they'll run and look over everything I've already looked through only to tell me no...UGH! Last time I answered, "Yes! Could you help me find the perfect blouse? I need it to have a waistline, long enough to cover my bumpies and mid sleeve w/a nice neckline. It also needs to be a good color for a gringa and on sale. Could you please show me where that would be?" The clerk smiled and told me I was in the right department. By the time I found something I'd wear, I discovered they no longer had my size. Good news, I'm getting much more relaxed at shopping, finally! Could it be because I just ordered my new wardrobe online from the states and had someone bring it down to me??? maybe. Clothes just seem to fit better from my homeland.

I have discovered that liquidation sales here are twice a year. January & July to mid August. up to 70% off retail! Mark it on your calendar! Even Sear's had Levi's on sale 30%! I noticed them one week, thought, I'll be back next week to get a pair. When I returned, mid Aug, I'd missed the sale by 2 days!!! It wasn't till the end of the month and who knows when they'll be on sale again...maybe January. So I ordered a couple pair online and someone's bringing them down. Gotta have new jeans before January!

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Clothes Shopping in Mexico Empty Re: Clothes Shopping in Mexico

Post by gringal Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:57 pm

If someone can't find good looking clothes in Mexico, it's because they don't know how to shop. There are beautiful, comfortable styles and colors to fit every figure type.

Mexican women seem to be able to look good without shopping in the states. In fact, most of them look better. I don't see them wandering around in public wearing shorts and T-shirts once they're grown up. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Clothes shopping IS a challenge here, especially sizing and style. Sorry, but ruffles and frou frou do not do it for me. And underwear! Who buys all that sexy matching stuff in Walmart? Who could afford it? Are ALL bras in Mexico padded?

Even in upscale stores like Liverpool, I find the clothing either bordering on prissy or unbelievably frumpy.

Yeah, I know, I'm shutting up...they're not catering to the minority...nor should they.

Guess I'll be needing a mule soon...or maybe Gringal can show me or tell me where to shop.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Gringal, all my Mexican girlfriends drool at the chance to shop in the US! In fact, many Mexicans drive up to the border towns like McAllen for after Christmas sales. A brother/sister, that I know, teamed up to start a clothing business here in Mexico. They fly up to the states together to shop in the outlets and then bring it back down here. Well, somewhere north of Guadalajara where the "tall beautiful" Mexican women live. That's what they told me.

I totally agree with you that Mexican woman, from the city, dress much nicer than most of us gringas! Just had this conversation a few days ago. They try not to over dress in the states while it's important to look nice here. You can always tell who the expat women are...most of them dress really frumpy! It gives me the message that retired means comfy and cheap? I do know plenty classy expat ladies too. I'm all for comfy but I need style, no matter how old I am! I'll stay home if I don't have anything to wear.

Sorry, but ruffles and frou frou do not do it for me. And underwear! Who buys all that sexy matching stuff in Walmart? Who could afford it? Are ALL bras in Mexico padded?
Bahaha! Ferret, you're a hoot!!! Walmart wouldn't even be my choice for clothes shopping. Not that i'm a snob but the quality isn't real good and it's expensive! I like quality and sales! Raised that way. Go and look like a million bucks on $10 ;) Or is that champaign taste with beer prices??

Your post is Hi-lari-ous!!! Sheesh, I was just telling my friend tonight that my next chore would be buying a bra in Mexico, lol I so want to go to the store I like in the US. Maybe I'll just wear this one until my knees get in the way. flag waver Clothes Shopping in Mexico 968748 lol! We can't discuss this here, must be moved beyond the octagon!!! Maybe meet up for tea. Sorry men. Ok Hocks, give us your 10 cents. Shocked razberry Yes, Gringal, where's the good clothes shopping?????
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:31 am

Quality and timeless is what I was raised with too. No Fads, mix and match. I remember saving up for my first winter coat purchase at age 14...had to have a shammy to cut the wind and the seams had to be overlocked and it had to be wool...then it had to look good.

After 15 years in Mexico, I do dress differently but it's certainly not by choice. Being limited to special shoes with orthotics in both has really screwed up my clothing options...skirts look downright strange with them.

Walmart for undies? You prefer the tianguis??? Victoria's Secret just doesn't look the same on me as it used to Clothes Shopping in Mexico 223417
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:35 am

this is kinda a chick thing... isn't it?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:12 am

hockables wrote:this is kinda a chick thing... isn't it?

I believe your right, but what the hell, give it your best. Personally I can’t think of anything at the moment but I’m leaving my options open. Beer Beer Beer

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:59 am

Have you been to the department store in Ixtlahuacan?

I have a friend looking everywhere for bras and she found some there, some where even in the boxes and they have department looking clothing.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:34 am

Feel free to chime in guys...I have a lot of trouble finding clothing for my hubby too.

There are bras available in many places...just not big enough...very rarely see anything in a size over a 40. Panties are the same...unless I want to buy a smaller size and pretend they're a thong. My friend Barbara calls thongs a biohazard that should be washed seperately.Rolling Eyes

If I can find pants in a large enough size, they are half way up my shin like pedalpushers...forget long sleeved shirts because the cuffs are halfway between the elbow and the wrist.

If you are a petite, small framed woman then it would be easier, but I USED to be 5'7" and am proportioned accordingly.

I don't wanna dress funny but there are limitations to shopping here Clothes Shopping in Mexico 851398
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:48 am

The number one shopping destination for Mexicanos is the Outlet Mall in San Marcos Texas, straight u I-35. After Christmas there are thousands of them with their walkie-talkies. A lot of my Mexicano friends go there twice a year.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:52 am

I have one thing you can say in a department store if you want to "just look". My Spanish teacher taught me to say "solo estoy viendo" I'm just looking. It works for me and they go away. When I lived in Guadalajara the apartment I rented was empty and I would go to the department stores to see what they had and didn't want anyone following me around.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:10 am

Well, here goes with a strictly chick thing (so hide your eyes, guys): I've never been shopping NOB since I moved here seven years ago, and damned if I'll go to Texas to do it. I don't really like to shop, so it's strictly done on a "need to shop" basis.

Underwear: Vanity Fair underwear is not cheap, but Liverpool in Guad carries bra sizes to way up there, in every configuration. (I hope that one was clear). Regular non-thong underpants, too. Also not cheap, but they last and last if you wash your undies in Woolite and line dry, as I do.
But, it's much more cost-effective than a trip to Texas. Haven't been to the store over by Los Potrillos at a time when they're open.......but I hear they have the good stuff at a decent price.

Regular clothes? Skirts, pants and tops: Heaven forbid ruffles and frou frou. Double yuck. Haven't had a ruffle on since my mum shoved me into a fancy dress at 3. Got that? Good.

One place in Chapala has the bargains: Alicia's, down across from the end of the malecon.
Tons of stuff. Pre wash, though in cold water. Some colors fade. Swell parrot on board, though.

Non-bargains, but way cheaper than going to the U.S.: Ajijic Village, way down where Colon meets 16 Septiembre. Three stores on three corners. La Flor de Laguna, Mi Mexico and another one with the flower ladies' mural. No need to pre-wash either Dunes or Maria of Guadalajara cottons. In fact, no need to iron. Plain colors, mostly. Sizes up to "extra Grande" and down to "Chico". Great pre-shrunk cottons; perfect for this climate. Pants, skirts, tops.
Got a closetfull collected over the years. Loose and comfortable as well.

Shoes: Mi Mexico carries the San Miguel shoes. I arrived in Mexico, in San MIguel with a foot that supposedly needed surgery. Sports medicine doc said I needed an elevated heel: no flats (bye bye Birkenstocks). Mexican doc suggested the famous San Miguel Cocktail Combat Shoes, invented by a San Miguel couple with serious foot issues. Bought some. Under $50 US. Even in rainbow colors. After a few months, got rid of the cane, the pain and the problem.
So, these aren't your granddaughters' shoes, but you can hit the cobblestones without fear in them......and my husband thinks they're "cute". I see lots of women in town wearing the many varieties and happily walking.

Now, if you're fifty plus pounds overweight and don't get any exercise......you aren't going to look good in anything, but it helps if it doesn't cling to the lumps or show the maiximum allowable flesh. lol!

That's it, folks: the Gringal Mexican Grrrrls shopping guide. If you just don't like that "look".....head for Texas. Ya can't please everyone.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:15 am

1 ratty pair of shorts, a t-shirt and some "tianguis bought" sandals are all I need. Commando anyone? Yes, I know to deep six the shorts when heading outside the lake area so I won't be mistaken for a "41"........lol.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:19 am

CanuckBob wrote:1 ratty pair of shorts, a t-shirt and some "tianguis bought" sandals are all I need. Commando anyone? Yes, I know to deep six the shorts when heading outside the lake area so I won't be mistaken for a "41"........lol.

Canuckle, dude: You're a guy. My guy buys his jeans at Walmart along with the ratty rubber sandals.
His upper regions don't require a bra. "Dressing up" is a Hawaiian shirt. In other words:
WHADDA YOU KNOW????
razberry

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:22 am

Sounds like my kind of guy. I have found some nice "black market" jeans at the Mercado Libretad in Guad. (Calvin Kook, Tommy Stinkfinger, etc.)
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Thanks for the shopping guide Gringal. Guess I'll head to Liverpool for the foundation garments first and then go from there.

The undergarments are getting to the stage where I'm terrified to get into an accident...my mother would be mortified.

Didn't know they sold San Miguel combat boots hereabouts...that's an excellent option because they are really comfortable.

Maria of Guadalajara and Dunes are both familiar to me...nice to know where they are sold here too.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Always glad to help, mi amigas. Took me awhile when I first hit Mexico, but my landlady in San Miguel introduced me to the Girasol store downtown and to the sweet lady at the San Miguel Shoe Factory outlet. No more weeping for clothes or shoes. Liverpool takes care of the unseen issues which are, nonetheless, important.

BTW, San Miguel Shoes is also online and can be ordered that way. More $$$ of course, but I'll guess that Mi Mexico can order from their store, too.

Guys don't have our kind of problems. Lucky them. Esposo used to have his Lee jeans sent down from NOB when there was a sale and free shipping. Then he discovered Walmart jeans, and that was the end of that. In fact, they fit his tushie better than the Lees, so life is a- OKAY.
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Clothes Shopping in Mexico
by gringal Yesterday at 10:57 pm

If someone can't find good looking clothes in Mexico, it's because they don't know how to shop. There are beautiful, comfortable styles and colors to fit every figure type.

Mexican women seem to be able to look good without shopping in the states. In fact, most of them look better. I don't see them wandering around in public wearing shorts and T-shirts once they're grown up

If a blind man can see the beauty that is within, then why is it that people with sight are too blind to see it? by Wiseman

People are like stained glass windows, the true beauty can be seen only when there is light from within. ... Unknown

On a personal note, I prefer to wear what I am comfortable with and what I wear is a part of my persona as the world see's me. OH............Don't think I don't have my days where I choose to be in my slumming mode! Very Happy
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Inner beauty requires no shopping trips, as should be obvious to one and all of us........and I'm not going there. That's for each person to develop.........or not. No clothing on planet Earth will overcome the pissed off, disappointed expressions that I see on some faces. A warm and beautiful smile will overcome any bad fashion choice. But a nice outfit wouldn't hurt, either.

I'm only dealing with shopping for clothes.......in Mexico. And if were aren't wearing what we're comfortable with, we aren't going to look happy. Back around in a circle, si? Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Geez, if you're wearing underwear that's several sizes too small, you'd have a disappointed, pissed off expression on your face tooClothes Shopping in Mexico 223417

Or...if any part of you hurts, it makes you REALLY crabby.

Still, the old expression holds up well...

"If you look good, you feel good

and if you feel good, you'll do great (things)"
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 pm

I've boughten some decent dressy tops & Calvin Klein dress shirts for my men in Sears, on sale hopefully. I get my jeans at Fabricas de Francia. Both hubby & I are happy with comfy Flexi shoes at the Outlet Mall. In fact, my recent guest couldn't find sandals in the states before coming down. I said we'll head over to the Flexi store. They bought 2 pairs! :)) 2 of my men buy Calvin Klein jeans at Costco. The other man likes to shop on Calle Medrano in Guadalajara. Calle Medrano is the least expensive place to buy clothes in Guadalajara. It's great if you're a petite apple shape. No workie for tall gringa. Sleeves are too short, waist is too wide for me. Underwear, don't laugh, at Costco or Sam's. Even camisoles. I bought some workout clothes at the Nike Outlet store a few years ago. Yes, it's possible to buy here. Not sure what my mental block is.

The deal is that in the good ol USA...there are sales almost every month. In Mexico, it's like the good ol days 20 years ago...we wait until Christmas or Summer clearance or forget it. Unless you know someone is coming down.

I'm still partial to children's clothing in the US. Osh Kosh will do, but not entirely my favorite style. Costco does carry a decent selection but I'm not too wild about what the department stores carry. It's pretty much what you'll find in Walmart and sometimes more expensive than Walmart. Speaking of Liverpool...I was very pleased with their children's shoe selection. Found some there this last week as a matter of fact.

The undergarments are getting to the stage where I'm terrified to get into an accident...my mother would be mortified.
=O) that definitely has a double meaning & were graciousness steps in. Accidents happen, they're out of control.

I guess the key is provision and making as wise of choices as one can make in the moment. I hate to spend more than what I would on sale in the states, but if an item is really needed, it's worth it to buy here than make a trip up north.

I had my guests bring me down a splurge I had. I bought a leather purse. None of the department stores carry them. My husband has made it quite clear that I'm worthy of a really good quality plastic purse that we can find in the malls, lol Now here's the kicker. I paid for this new leather purse, I love it, but took our guests to Tonala...wouldn't you know it, we walked into this great leather store that designs awesome leather purses??? I look at the tags, raise my brows in delight! Ya, guess who'll be shopping there for their next new leather purse? mariachi flag waver Just think how much my husband has saved in 8 years with a wife too timid to shop!!! Shocked
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:13 am

roflmao! There's definitely a difference between getting "into" an accident and "having" an accident.

You sound about the same as me as far as clothes shopping goes...quite honestly, I'd rather spend time (and money) in Home Depot. My hubby calls me his "low maintenance woman"...my idea of a manicure is chewing my nails in half. Ah well...everyone's different.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:04 am

ferret wrote:roflmao! There's definitely a difference between getting "into" an accident and "having" an accident.

You sound about the same as me as far as clothes shopping goes...quite honestly, I'd rather spend time (and money) in Home Depot. My hubby calls me his "low maintenance woman"...my idea of a manicure is chewing my nails in half. Ah well...everyone's different.

You're too funny! My manicure is filing while I drive out the driveway once a week. Pretty pathetic. Some women love the luxury of manicures and nails. When I worked in an office, many, many moons ago. I used to get my nails done but I do so much with my hands that they're a bother. I'm happy if I can keep my hands moisturized, stain free from berries and gardening dirt. Although, my hubby certainly would never call me low maintenance. Definitely needs mentioning. I get my hair cut maybe twice a year, probably shows, but it doesn't grow very fast. I save money on make up by not putting any on frequently Very Happy Save gasoline by staying home 98% of the time. I appreciate what Home Depot has to offer but it's such a snore for me to go there. :( What do you enjoy browsing at?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:41 am

Do you mean browsing in Home Depot? I can easily kill about 4 hours in there...at least I can in Canada. I love all those videos that they have set up showing you how to DIY. Spend time in the gardening area, plumbing, electrical and decorating. Tools and wood are a quick walk through.

Home Depot, Home Hardware, Lowe's and Canadian Tire...those are my favourites.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:25 am

Canadian tire?? Shocked Ok, that's funny!!! lol are you pulling my leg!!?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next