INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can one replace iLox modem/router with a better one?

+7
OasisCloud
mattoleriver
CanuckBob
Canada_Mike
Tday
ComputerGuy
jayc1ay
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can one replace iLox modem/router with a better one? Empty Can one replace iLox modem/router with a better one?

Post by jayc1ay Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:16 pm

I live up the hill in Villa Nova and need faster service to allow video conferencing with the USA/Europe.

jayc1ay

Humor : black, gallows

Back to top Go down

Can one replace iLox modem/router with a better one? Empty Re: Can one replace iLox modem/router with a better one?

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:18 pm

Since iLox offers very high speeds, the answer is NO. However, if you could clarify: how exactly are you trying to videocon? Are you using a WiFi device? Because the iLox modems have lousy WiFi. In that case, you could purchase a third-party WiFi router and hook it into the iLox box to get a stronger signal.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Can one replace iLox modem/router with a better one? Empty Re: Can one replace iLox modem/router with a better one?

Post by Tday Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm

Ilox modems suck, very cheap. You CAN get better speeds with a better modem. good luck

Tday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:23 pm

You cannot get better speeds with a "better" modem, let's be perfectly clear. Now WiFi, that's a different thing.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm confused. Isn't ILOX wifi? Kindly explain simply. Shocked Shocked
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:57 pm

You can connect to the Ilox modem via cat cable or via wifi. The WiFi connection sucks.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:10 pm

So unless I wiwr3e y whole house to within an inch of its life, I have to take what I get. Sheesh.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:48 pm

Yep or get an aftermarket router, plug it into the Ilox modem and use it as your access point.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:28 pm

WiFi is simply a method of wirelessly sending an Internet signal to your device. In the old days, we always had to connect our computer directly to the modem to get Internet, using what is referred to as an ethernet cable. Think of WiFi (Wireless Fidelity) as simply an ethernet cable.

Most of the devices we refer to as "modems" that are supplied by the people giving you Internet (and note that the iLox box is not really a modem, per se, but we can think of it as one anyway), also have built-in "routers"... that is, a device that "routes" the Internet signal to several more devices, that are either plugged in with more ethernet cables, or are "connected" wirelessly by the box's built-in WiFi station.

So iLox provides a WiFi modem box. But the WiFi part of it is terrible. So, we can opt to buy a better router with WiFi from somewhere else, plug it in to the iLox box, and get a stronger WiFi signal.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:12 pm

ComputerGuy,
do routers remain current for very long or are they outmoded nearly as soon as they are sold? What is the best way to future-proof one? If an ISP supplies a decent router is it worthwhile to buy one anyway?
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:36 am

The technology has improved consistently, if slowly, for the internal electronics that govern the reception and throughput of ethernet signals. Very slowly. So a 10-year old expensive router is probably equal to a new cheapy. I won't bother going into a lot of technical detail cause it won't make any difference or sense.

WiFi "radio stations" (all WiFi device both send and receive) are more obviously governed by world association rules, with again a slow advance in terms of the electronics. Eg: today's current TelMex modems are about 10% stronger in terms of WiFi signals that those of three years ago, which are 10% better than the previous lot. But the newest WiFi standard, which will be faster and stronger, is taking a long time to get here, so with the exception of the real backwards tech that iLox boxes use, anything purchased in the last 5 years should be pretty good.

That being said, the newest standards also cost the most. And usually, by a lot. And many consumer-level products won't be able to handle it for several years to come anyway. So, no real future-proofing.

In the case of the current crop of TelMex modems, which most people around here have, there is absolutely no point in buying even a very expensive WiFi router, because the difference will be negligible. (I am not talking about WiFi "extenders" or "repeaters".) For the iLox boxes, yes, a WiFi router in the $100 US range, from TP-Link or DLink, would be a worthwhile investment, in terms of the superior WiFi.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisCloud Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Your computer is another link in the chain as well. If you have a 10 year old laptop it isn't going to have the latest and greatest and fastest wifi either.

OasisCloud

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:53 pm

My post was not clear. It should have said " any computing devices like PCs, tablets, phones purchased in the last 5 years should be pretty good.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Half & Half Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:14 pm

ComputerGuy - thank you so much for your perfectly understandable explanation of 'WiFi'. I finally know what it means and you didn't even use any weird shortcuts I find difficult to understand, like YMMV, WTF, LMAO. My grandkids are back in Alberta, so it's taken a lot of queries to Senor Google to learn them. I am still apologizing for some condolence messages I sent thinking LOL meant Lots of Love. Thank you again!
Half & Half
Half & Half

Back to top Go down

Post by Tday Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:43 am

Computer Guy, I think most of us learned something from your Posts . I know I have, thank you so much.

Tday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Me too. Thx
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:44 am

So if bad Wifi is your problem. Turn off the Wifi on the Ilox modem and add an Access point and connect to it rather than the modem. They can be purchased with external SMA connections which allow after market antenna and with higher power. I was in the unique position of having Telmex, Wiz, and Ilox internet services. Wifi performance was poor for the Ilox, better with Wiz and outstanding with Telmex. Pay the money for the better access points it is worth it.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:44 am

I just did some test yesterday, and using the Ilox modem, they were pretty good. 60 down and 18 up, even on my porch downstairs through several thick walls.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Maybe they've "fixed" an issue in hardware. Thanks, Mike. Anyone else?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:45 pm

Maybe they're using better modems? Or is that what you meant by fixing the hardware issue?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 am

I know they are still using the same modems, so they would have had to upgrade the firmware that controls the WiFi. (Firmware is upgraded with a software download, as odd as that may sound. It's the reason TelMex recommends you leave your modem on all the time, because periodically they do upgrades. Just like a Shaw satellite receiver updates in the middle of the night.) It wouldn't be feasible to even consider replacing it. Another option would be that they ran out of their first orders and the newer ones (same models) were made better at the factory.

Or they might have discovered they'd set the WiFi hardware with the wrong adjustments, and fixed that.

I had a single instance a few weeks ago of an iLox box actually sending an excellent signal with almost no drop in quality from inside an office out to the other end of the living room area. 39 at the box and 39 on the laptop at the other end. So something is definitely up.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:28 am

Thank you! That's great news!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:38 am

A customer in upper Ch. Vista is getting iLox installed as we speak. I will be over to his place as soon as I can, and we can test the WiFi.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:39 pm

Weird, today I'm 17/17!
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:00 pm

New customer today: about 40 down. Dropped to 20 only a few feet away. Replaced the WiFi software on the laptop and it was back up to 40. Around the corner about 12 feet away, too weak for the Roku to even see the WiFi signal. Added a Google Mesh WiFi system: bingo: excellent reception.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next