INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good vanilla

+2
slainte39
cypress
6 posters

Go down

Good vanilla Empty Good vanilla

Post by cypress Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:41 am

A niece wants some good vanilla for cooking. Does anyone know where you can buy the real thing these days?

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Good vanilla Empty Re: Good vanilla

Post by slainte39 Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:33 am

Almost all major grocers, read the label and avoid artificial or diluted products, it will be more expensive.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:48 pm

Thanks but not all the major grocers not Walmart or Bodega Aurrera or Pancho's new store. I haven't been to Soriana yet. Superlake had some. They all seem to contain water-I don't know if that means diluted.

Last edited by cypress on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more information)

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:14 pm

The process by which vanilla is extracted from the beans is a combo of water and alcohol. It's okay.
Clear vanilla is NOT made from vanilla beans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_extract

In around 1999, I bought twelve one litre bottles of pure vanilla extract from a grower while vacationing in Veracruz. It cost 20 pesos a bottle. Great stuff and made wonderful gifts. Those were the days.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:51 pm

I looked on my bottle of really good vanilla and it has the vanilla, water and alcohol. The alcohol burns off. There was some adulterated vanilla years ago that contained, I think, coumadin. Buy only the ingredients I listed.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:12 pm

Okay. Glad I stayed away from the vanilla claro

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JoMexico Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:03 pm

When buying vanilla (and cinnamon) ensure it does not contain any coumarin. If anyone has liver issues, consuming coumarin is not a good idea. Anyhow, IMHO the best vanilla in Mexico is Azteca and the best deal that I have found so far is at El Granero on the Carretera across from the Ajijic Hospital.
JoMexico
JoMexico

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:15 pm

JoMexico wrote: IMHO the best vanilla in Mexico is Azteca.

Never tried that brand. I like Orlando- organic, ingredients are purified water, cane alcohol, vanilla beans, natural vanillin, vegetable glycerin.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JoMexico Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:59 am

Orlando? Where do you buy it? Azteca has vanilla bean extract in water, vanillin and alcohol.
JoMexico
JoMexico

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:57 pm

It's available in many of the small grocery stores and pharmacies in Sayulita, where I live. I've also seen it in the tiaguis here, but way overpriced for tourists. I just bought a 500 ml bottle in a local grocery store for 170 pesos.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JoMexico Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:55 pm

I'll have to see if it's available anywhere here - love to try it. Mud Girl? Have you heard of these gals? https://www.mudgirls.ca/
JoMexico
JoMexico

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Thanks for that link, JoMexico. I hadn't heard of them before, so my handle isn't related to them, although oddly enough, I am from Vancouver Island and it did have to do with construction.

When my house here was in construction, I was working right along with my Mexican crew, something they'd really never seen a woman do before, let alone a 58 year old gringa. I wasn't laying block, but doing tiling, wheelbarrowing dirt around, etc, tarring the foundations, etc.

One morning when I showed up, the crew was unusually quiet. They were working, but not their usual animated, joking, singing, selves. I didn't know if they had had an argument, were mad at me for some reason, or what.

Finally, after 5 minutes, I noticed a giant cheesecake poster that had been taped up on the wall- a naked woman covered in mud. When I finally saw it, and said "Oh!" all the guys burst out laughing- they had just been waiting for me to see it. I laughed, too, it was all in good fun.

Hence my "mudgirl" handle.

You could probably Google Orlando vanilla and see where it's distributed in your area and see how it compares to the Azteca.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down