INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local Audiophile

Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Local Audiophile

Post by Plan B Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:00 pm

I wonder if there are any local audiophiles that may be able to answer some questions regarding their equipment?
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 351
Join date : 2018-12-29

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by CanuckBob Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Like what?

_________________
Vacation Rentals
https://casadecomo.webs.com/
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 18835
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 57
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by Plan B Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:26 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Like what?

Discuss various audio equipment, i.e. music streamers/DACs, speakers, etc.

Local Audiophile Kef_lsx
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 351
Join date : 2018-12-29

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by CanuckBob Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:53 pm

I have a Denon 5.1 surround system with Polk Audio speakers and sub, and an XBox One with my 86" LG TV.

Local Audiophile Img_2083

_________________
Vacation Rentals
https://casadecomo.webs.com/
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 18835
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 57
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.webs.com/

Plan B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:04 pm

Yea I am one right down to my vacuum tube and MOSFET amps.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5532
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Plan B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by Plan B Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:45 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Yea I am one right down to my vacuum tube and MOSFET amps.  

Tube preamp and MOSFET amp?

I'm looking to own a McIntosh, an item on my bucket list...
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 351
Join date : 2018-12-29

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:33 pm

Plan B wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Yea I am one right down to my vacuum tube and MOSFET amps.  

Tube preamp and MOSFET amp?

I'm looking to own a McIntosh, an item on my bucket list...

No Bi-amped. Tube amp is on midrange and tweeter and MOSFET amp is on double woofers. I like smooth midrange and treble. I was using an Audio Research full tube preamp. Due to cost of energy here I gave up and switched to large NAD integrated (preamp and amp one unit) with small Paradign reference speakers. Unit is on 12 hours a day. Well you can imagine what running 100W per channel tube amp cost here! I would also burn thru two sets of tubes a year. Eight 6550 tubes cost a lot. Took the tubes back to US and just have the Modified Hafler MOSFET transnova amp here for serious listening once in a while. To be honest last time I had my hearing checked I was down to 12,000 Hz so smooth is more important to me than the harmonic high end stuff.

Suggest looking at Audio Research for high end stuff. Mac has some good stuff but I like Audio Research stuff better. I find Mac stuff is overpriced in my opinion but other folks love Mac stuff. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5532
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Plan B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by Plan B Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:09 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
Plan B wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Yea I am one right down to my vacuum tube and MOSFET amps.  

Tube preamp and MOSFET amp?

I'm looking to own a McIntosh, an item on my bucket list...

No Bi-amped.  Tube amp is on midrange and tweeter and MOSFET amp is on double woofers. I like smooth midrange and treble. I was using an Audio Research full tube preamp. Due to cost of energy here I gave up and switched to large NAD integrated (preamp and amp one unit) with small  Paradign reference speakers. Unit is on 12 hours a day.  Well you can imagine what running 100W per channel tube amp cost here! I would also burn thru two sets of tubes a year. Eight 6550 tubes cost a lot. Took the tubes back to US and just have the Modified Hafler MOSFET transnova amp here for serious listening once in a while. To be honest last time I had my hearing checked I was down to 12,000 Hz so smooth is more important to me than the harmonic high end stuff.

Suggest looking at Audio Research for high end stuff.   Mac has some good stuff but I like Audio Research stuff better.  I find Mac stuff is overpriced in my opinion but other folks love Mac stuff. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

Very nice. The sound staging must be superb. My Tandberg 3012 and Braun L8100HE speakers will have to do me for now...
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 351
Join date : 2018-12-29

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:34 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I have a Denon 5.1 surround system with Polk Audio speakers and sub, and an XBox One with my 86" LG TV.

Local Audiophile Img_2083



Nice TV. I have a LG OLED TV as I really like old B&W movies and nothing does B&W movies like OLED.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5532
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Plan B wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:
Plan B wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Yea I am one right down to my vacuum tube and MOSFET amps.  

Tube preamp and MOSFET amp?

I'm looking to own a McIntosh, an item on my bucket list...


Suggest looking at Audio Research for high end stuff.   Mac has some good stuff but I like Audio Research stuff better.  I find Mac stuff is overpriced in my opinion but other folks love Mac stuff. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!



Very nice. The sound staging must be superb. My Tandberg 3012 and Braun L8100HE speakers will have to do me for now...

No Bi-amped.  Tube amp is on midrange and tweeter and MOSFET amp is on double woofers. I like smooth midrange and treble. I was using an Audio Research full tube preamp. Due to cost of energy here I gave up and switched to large NAD integrated (preamp and amp one unit) with small  Paradign reference speakers. Unit is on 12 hours a day.  Well you can imagine what running 100W per channel tube amp cost here! I would also burn thru two sets of tubes a year. Eight 6550 tubes cost a lot. Took the tubes back to US and just have the Modified Hafler MOSFET transnova amp here for serious listening once in a while. To be honest last time I had my hearing checked I was down to 12,000 Hz so smooth is more important to me than the harmonic high end stuff.

It was but I could not afford to run it in Mexico.  I had a media room in Oregon with a slopped ceiling.  On SACD recording it was magnificant with my OPPO disk player.  Sad as OPPO went out of business and both my lasers burned out and no transports available. Bought a couple of world LG blu ray players to substitute for the OPPOs but just not the same.  Good but not great.  Luckily my hearing is going down in frequency ability so I suppose it doesn't matter. Still like smooth but just can't hear all the harmonics anymore.  It was a great hobby for 30 years.  I grew up on big JBL 15" speakers and a scott tubemaster integrated amp. My parents gave me a good education.  Don't miss the Garrard rim drive turntable.  Can you say rumble LOL.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5532
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Plan B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by Plan B Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:32 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
Plan B wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:
Plan B wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Yea I am one right down to my vacuum tube and MOSFET amps.  

Tube preamp and MOSFET amp?

I'm looking to own a McIntosh, an item on my bucket list...


Suggest looking at Audio Research for high end stuff.   Mac has some good stuff but I like Audio Research stuff better.  I find Mac stuff is overpriced in my opinion but other folks love Mac stuff. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!


Very nice. The sound staging must be superb. My Tandberg 3012 and Braun L8100HE speakers will have to do me for now...

No Bi-amped.  Tube amp is on midrange and tweeter and MOSFET amp is on double woofers. I like smooth midrange and treble. I was using an Audio Research full tube preamp. Due to cost of energy here I gave up and switched to large NAD integrated (preamp and amp one unit) with small  Paradign reference speakers. Unit is on 12 hours a day.  Well you can imagine what running 100W per channel tube amp cost here! I would also burn thru two sets of tubes a year. Eight 6550 tubes cost a lot. Took the tubes back to US and just have the Modified Hafler MOSFET transnova amp here for serious listening once in a while. To be honest last time I had my hearing checked I was down to 12,000 Hz so smooth is more important to me than the harmonic high end stuff.

It was but I could not afford to run it in Mexico.  I had a media room in Oregon with a slopped ceiling.  On SACD recording it was magnificant with my OPPO disk player.  Sad as OPPO went out of business and both my lasers burned out and no transports available. Bought a couple of world LG blu ray players to substitute for the OPPOs but just not the same.  Good but not great.  Luckily my hearing is going down in frequency ability so I suppose it doesn't matter. Still like smooth but just can't hear all the harmonics anymore.  It was a great hobby for 30 years.  I grew up on big JBL 15" speakers and a scott tubemaster integrated amp. My parents gave me a good education.  Don't miss the Garrard rim drive turntable.  Can you say rumble LOL.


Wow and flutter too!
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 351
Join date : 2018-12-29

Back to top Go down

Local Audiophile Empty Re: Local Audiophile

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum