INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who knows what about Totalplay TV?

+3
OasisCloud
Zedinmexico
nlu
7 posters

Go down

Who knows what about Totalplay TV? Empty Who knows what about Totalplay TV?

Post by nlu Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:25 pm

Their website sez fiber optic.

I guess that means that they have wired our community?

$669 for 40 megs + telephany & spanish streaming tv

nlu

Back to top Go down

Who knows what about Totalplay TV? Empty Re: Who knows what about Totalplay TV?

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:48 pm

OK so I was walking home on the horse path in La Floresta and I saw a huge wheel of wire. I looked at it and it was Fiber Optic backbone cable. I asked the contracted workers who they were working for and they said Total play. I than asked them if San Antonio is getting wired up and they said yes.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisCloud Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:40 pm

They have been all over Mirasol and Riberas below and around Mirasol yesterday and today. Big operation with lots of workers and they told me TotalPlay as well. Website looks like it may offer much more TV option than iLox does and they have internet plans up to 500 mb down. Will be interesting to see how this develops, especially since Shaw seems to be getting a bit more problematic.

OasisCloud

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:35 am

Person at Soriana's by south door if you want more info about Totalplay.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:30 am

Heard from a customer yesterday who has totalPlay in Jocotepec. Some competitor has also arrived and, while installing their own fibre, "accidentally" cut the TotalPlay cables last week. While he says he likes the speed, it's taken a week for anyone to come out and repair the lines.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartdude Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:25 pm

Our Totalplay is booked for install Thursday. 100 mb for 629 pesos with a 350 peso activation payable on install. We'll see.
Bartdude
Bartdude
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Almost nuthin better than a good laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:53 am

Bartdude wrote:Our Totalplay is booked for install Thursday. 100 mb for 629 pesos with a 350 peso activation payable on install. We'll see.

Where are you????

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartdude Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:56 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
Bartdude wrote:Our Totalplay is booked for install Thursday. 100 mb for 629 pesos with a 350 peso activation payable on install. We'll see.

Where are you????

Plaza De Toros in Chapala. They strung the new lines last week.
Bartdude
Bartdude
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nlu Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:54 am

I was hooked up last night!
Yeah!
Easter Sunday!
Will report back when I get to set my stuff up!

Install was $170 pesos.

nlu

ferret and Bartdude like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartdude Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Totalplay is installed! 104 down and 10 up. We had a call (in english) 20 minutes ahead and the techs were very efficient. 629 per month and 150 activation.
Bartdude
Bartdude
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:48 pm

I am in SE SAT on a privado off La Paz. Backbone fiber installed down La Paz. Wanted backup to ILOX. Saw Totalplay man installing in the privado accross street and talked to him. They called today and asked the following questions Name, Address, Email address, What service I wanted, birthday and they are supposed to come sat. somewhere from 2 to 6 pm to install. Person spoke good english. Found out more about Totalplay. They are a virtual company. No office locally. You pay cash for first month and install charges than you can pay up to 6 months . They also mentioned a bunch of places to pay. Will know more after install and I will post info. So far I am impressed. I purchased 100 down internet and a phone for 629P a month. When call was done they gave me my customer number. They seem hungry and want your business. Note call was on my ILOX phone and it disconnected twice LOL. I did warn them so they called back and laughed and said good phone!

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nlu Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:03 pm

I still haven't used my Totalplay. I haven't yet hooked up my VPN router. My wife, however, has used it and is totally satisfied.
We have the phone number, but won't be using it. I'm keeping Telmex phone, and currently still using slower speed with VPN. Hope to hook up the new VPN router soon.

nlu

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:24 am

Install went fine. Took about an hour. Fellow spoke good english. Gave us all our numbers and such. Phone works well. We purchased 100 down package with phone for 629P a month. My Clearchoice (Internet program provider) works well. Each team does 4 installs a day with 10 teams working.
Didn't get TV programming so I can't comment on that but it looked mostly spanish. End results are 110 down and 10 up. So ILOX has a better upload speed as I have both in my house. Might be important if you are uploading to a server or such. Streaming music service ran all night without problems so I am happy.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:06 am

I love all this competition. Keeps the players on their toes.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:36 pm

ferret wrote:I love all this competition. Keeps the players on their toes.

This is the fourth company coming to lakeside. One I think is only in Joco at this point in time. I doubt that competition will fix ILOX. Way to arrogant.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

nlu likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:18 am

An update after a month. It is more solid and works better with IPTV like products. My steaming audio works great maybe an drop out a few times a day rather than every hour or more on my ILOX line. ILOX has faster upload speeds as my Totalchoice is 100 down and 10 up. ILox is 350 down and 80 up. You can buy up to 500 down on Totalchoice. It has gone down once when a pole was hit by a vehicle of some kind. I will probably cut down my ILOX to 100 and my cost for both will be the same as the ILOX 350 service by itself. Very pleased overall. Paid for six months at BBVA no problem paying. Remember Totalplay is a virtual company with no local office. Overall I give it 9 out of 10 and ILOX 7 out of 10.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and zdogs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 31, 2021 9:16 am

I signed up and got installed on Saturday at the 100Mbps level (1st three months you get 200Mbps). This is in part an effort to learn the system to help my customers. And if it works, I will drop TelMex as my backup, because they are flakey these days, like they used to be years ago.

Some points of interest: You can pay cash, or use CC or debit at installation, but they take ONLY Mexican cards. Same for online payment for your monthly bill: there is no provision for any cards other than Mexican. However, you can use Oxxo, 7-11, Elektra, and various banks.

The software in their GPON (modem) is accessible with login info found on the modem. BUT that info is user-level only. It is not Super User or Admin level. Why is that important to know? Well, for most people it won't make a difference. For me, as a repair person, it means I am limited in what I can do to make adjustments. I found this out the hard way: I reset the login information on my own modem, and my computer hiccuped at exactly the same moment I hit ENTER, which scrambled my new information, and I could not log in.

So I did a Factory Reset using the pinhole on the bottom. But it did not actually reset the modem; it just rebooted it. So I was not able to fix the problem, because it did not reset the password to the default. I had to contact tech support to do that. And once they redo the modem, it reboots and you lose contact with them. I asked for the Super User password, and they told me they don't even have it. Ahem.

The package I got does not include TV (all Spanish, which I am not interested in), but does include VOIP phone.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

nlu and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:37 am

After a week, my TotalPlay is uninterrupted and providing a steady more-or-less 200 Mbps at the $629 level. WiFi experimentation has revealed an interesting fact: using the 5GHz setting is much better than using the 2GHz setting, even at some distance.

The standard 2GHz is much better at distance than when using iLox's 2GHx connection. 5GHz is usually reserved for devices that are closer to the modem, in particular for streaming, because it provides a bigger "pipe", but is worse at distances. However, in one case a friend of mine gets a lousy 15 or so using the 2GHz via direct line of sight to the PC, while the 5Ghz gives a 190 speed.

My bedroom, which is not so far from the modem but is around a corner and through two walls, shows the same higher speeds using the 5GHz connection. Good to know.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

OasisCloud, nlu and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:43 am

This just occurred to me: if I go in to TelMex on the last day of my current billing period, to cancel my Internet, will I be charged for the next month anyway? Seems to me I've heard this somewhere. Has anyone experienced a cancellation lately?

Update: after two weeks, TotalPlay has not blipped. I am still getting close to the promised speeds, even via WiFi (so much better than iLox WiFi), although I bemoan the very low upload speeds they offer on the base packages. With my design work, I am often uploading large files.

I also heard from an installer that there is a package they don't show in their flyers or on the Web: 20 Mbps down for $429/mo. This is enough for those who mainly do email and social media. But for the extra 100p, I would recommend the 40 Mbps package at $529 if you are thinking of doing streaming or using a Firestick or other device. Part of the reason is that WiFi degrades over distance, and if your streaming device is not so close to your modem, you will experience more interruptions.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:25 am

Another update. Still no outages wth TP, although some in San Antonio suffered when the CFE, dutifully chopping down trees in the storm and happily ignoring everyone else's wires, cut off both TP and TelMex twice over 4 days.

I have now paid my second month, online, using PayPal. Which, interestingly, would not let me use my Cdn. bank account but did let me use my Cdn. credit card. I received an email the day before the due date. They give you 7 days to pay with a discount, and another week to pay regular, before they cut you off. Unlike iLox, which chops you out of their lives at midnight on the due date if you don't make it.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:44 am

Do you get any notification of "payment due" from iLox?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:03 pm

I think so, but it's hard to say. On or about the 28th (I am due on the 11th) I get an email with a PDF listing what looks like all the payments I've missed. The final entry is the next one due. And then they total them all. However, as mentioned, iLox cuts you off instantly, so this must in reality be some sort of accounts ledger, poorly done.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Ilox just debits my credit card every month.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:20 pm

And that's handy, but since I moved here I don't do auto pay for anything, ever. Works better for me.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down