INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A QUESTION FOR GRINGAL...OR ANYONE

+4
BisbeeGal
CanuckBob
gringal
slainte39
8 posters

Go down

A QUESTION FOR GRINGAL...OR ANYONE Empty A QUESTION FOR GRINGAL...OR ANYONE

Post by slainte39 Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 pm

I know you eat a lot of salmon.  Which restaurants, North shore area has the best salmon filets seared?  Quality, not price.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

A QUESTION FOR GRINGAL...OR ANYONE Empty Re: A QUESTION FOR GRINGAL...OR ANYONE

Post by gringal Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:19 am

Aha...the original post!

Yes, my spouse and I eat salmon at least once a week.  We are buying it for cooking at home from the lady whose stand is the first one the right as you enter the Monday Market site (Sunrise Restaurant the rest of the week)  She has several fish choices, and they are all very fresh (frozen). We also buy the sole. Our choice for salmon at a restaurant is el Ancla, West of Ajijic in a small strip mall on the lake side, just past the gas station on the mountain side. It's flaky and delicious.  Since we discovered the vendor at the Monday market, we've been cooking salmon at home (economy) and choosing other dishes from the menu, mostly the chicken.  The poblano sauce version is very good, as is the Chicken Cordon Bleu, made from scratch.
I can't highly recommend any other restaurants for the salmon, though we have tried several. However, we haven't sampled the highest price tier around.  Anything much past Ancla, Yves, and Gosha's level is not on our radar. Most of our outings are at lunch time.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:05 am

Cosinart used to do a pretty good one, but we haven't been for a couple of years. Not because of the pandemic, but because of the irritating waiters and the terrible accoustics and noise, especially when the long table by the wall is full of overly-liquidated partiers.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:12 am

Cocinart has an outdoor patio now.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:12 am

We order fresh imported salmon in advance from Costalegre in SAT.  It comes in Wednesdays from Canada or AK, depending on source.  I order via WhatsApp 331 173 6144 at least a few days in advance.  It is excellent and fairly priced.  

Eating out, Tango does a very good grill on it.  Cocinart has a salmon dijon that is different and very good, too.

fyi, Cocinart's post-pandemic menu is quite a bit smaller than in past and does not have as many salmon dishes as it did (you can see it at their FB page).  Note to CG:  there is also a large table on the patio Very Happy Very Happy  But the acoustics aren't as bad as inside; nice place to sit.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

inthecolumbiagorge likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:58 am

I would love to go back. Wally the chef is superior. But after being rudely mistreated by the two long-time waiters the last three visits in a row, and after complaining to the gal who manages the place who we know well, I gave up. As far as I know, we have never done anything to warrant such treatment and always leave a very good tip. We have been ignored, and our food orders served to other customers while we waited.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 pm

Letra CH in Chapala has excellent (in my opinion) salmon. You have a choice of three or four kinds of prep. I always get the orange salmon. It is cooked perfectly (for me) every time.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:34 am

BisbeeGal wrote:We order fresh imported salmon in advance from Costalegre in SAT.  It comes in Wednesdays from Canada or AK, depending on source.  I order via WhatsApp 331 173 6144 at least a few days in advance.  It is excellent and fairly priced.  

Eating out, Tango does a very good grill on it.  Cocinart has a salmon dijon that is different and very good, too.

fyi, Cocinart's post-pandemic menu is quite a bit smaller than in past and does not have as many salmon dishes as it did (you can see it at their FB page).  Note to CG:  there is also a large table on the patio :D :D  But the acoustics aren't as bad as inside; nice place to sit.

Is it frozen and vacuum sealed? If so, what are the typical sizes?

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:49 am

casi nada wrote:Is it frozen and vacuum sealed?  If so, what are the typical sizes?

Fresh. Whatever size you want....we order fillets and ask for either a half or an entire kilo. Sometimes we order an entire side, filleted.

My suggestion is you go by this Wednesday a bit after 9AM to see what they have (the whole salmons are on display). From what I see of the other orders, most people have them filleted. They do a good job on the filleting.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:00 am

If you are looking for frozen, individually vac packed salmon filets, my preferred brand is Marketplace in the Walmart freezer opposite the fresh fish counter. They can come with skin or without. Five in a package that weighs 500 grams. I put two, frozen solid wrapped in foil, in my countertop oven at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes. Perfectly cooked and flaky. I eat one with veg and save the other to mix with mayo/celery/onion for a nice toasted sandwich the next day. This is Alaskan wild Salmon. They also have Huachinango (Red Snapper) and Robalo (Sea Bass).
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm

I have tried the fresh from Costalegre and the frozen, both the sliced and the halves. I have pan-fried, BBQd, and smoked, and I am unable to discern any difference.

Last week, I ordered a new menu item from Thai Food and More, actually a salmon creation, and it was excellent. (They only deliver, and do not have a sit-down restaurant.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:10 pm

gringal wrote:Aha...the original post!

Yes, my spouse and I eat salmon at least once a week.  We are buying it for cooking at home from the lady whose stand is the first one the right as you enter the Monday Market site (Sunrise Restaurant the rest of the week)  She has several fish choices, and they are all very fresh (frozen). We also buy the sole. Our choice for salmon at a restaurant is el Ancla, West of Ajijic in a small strip mall on the lake side, just past the gas station on the mountain side. It's flaky and delicious.  Since we discovered the vendor at the Monday market, we've been cooking salmon at home (economy) and choosing other dishes from the menu, mostly the chicken.  The poblano sauce version is very good, as is the Chicken Cordon Bleu, made from scratch.
I can't highly recommend any other restaurants for the salmon, though we have tried several. However, we haven't sampled the highest price tier around.  Anything much past Ancla, Yves, and Gosha's level is not on our radar. Most of our outings are at lunch time.

Several have mentioned "flakey" in the salmon description.  Is that a characteristic in salmon that makes it better than a more solid piece of fish?  Is that flakey like tuna which I call layered?  Trying not to compare it to corn flakes.  lol!  In Ireland, we eat a lot of salmon, but never heard flakey in Hiberno-English.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:30 pm

I know that "flaky" is probably not the best description for a fish, but it's the closest I can manage. I mean that the fish has separation between its parts rather than being a homogenous mass. Anyway, the freshest and best ones are sort of "flaky".
Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

slainte39 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:36 pm

Much nicer than the meaning of a "flakey" person.  LOL

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:35 pm

I think most would describe it as flaky. But layered is a good choice, too. If yo slice through a whole salmon, you see what appear to be almost concentric circles. That is where a properly cooked piece of salmon separates... you all know what I mean. When cooked like that, it's beautiful.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:15 pm

Next time I have my raisin bran flakes, I´ll think "salmon".  Never have heard "hojuelas de salmon" in my Mexican family either.  If they look at me strangely, I will ask/say, "con o sin pasas";"with or without raisins".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Just checked the dictionary.  Flaky or flakey...breaking or separating easily into small thin pieces.  Fish scales are considered flaky  Shocked  .  No thank you, I´ll stick with the meat part of the fish.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 pm

Never seen fish scales flake with a fork.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:26 pm

ferret wrote:Never seen fish scales flake with a fork.

Nor have I, because I have never tried.  better to use a fish gutting knife if you want those flaky scales.    lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:37 pm

Look at any of hundreds of fish recipes and reviews. Flakey is commonly used to describe the desired final product of the flesh. As far as I know, scales are called scaley, lol.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 am

Sounds like we're all getting a little "flakey" eh?
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 am

LOL! I'd rather be flakey than mushy.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal and Lady Otter Latté like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:54 pm

ComputerGuy wrote:Look at any of hundreds of fish recipes and reviews. Flakey is commonly used to describe the desired final product of the flesh. As far as I know, scales are called scaley, lol.

I thought "scaley" meant you needed a shower; and that flakey was weird...
I can´t remember the last time I read a fish recipe, because I don´t think I have ever read one.   lol!

Thank you gringal.......I´m learnin¨

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:09 am

Recipe? What's a recipe?
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder