INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voltage Regulators/Surge Protectors

5 posters

Go down

Voltage Regulators/Surge Protectors Empty Voltage Regulators/Surge Protectors

Post by tedandpris Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:59 am

Question - Several years ago I read that it was wise to have voltage regulators to protect sensitive electronic equipment. What's the current opinion regarding the need for regulators (as opposed to surge protectors). Especially interested in information about refrigerators - I had previously read that they do not do well when voltage drops...

Thanks in advance.

tedandpris

Back to top Go down

Voltage Regulators/Surge Protectors Empty Re: Voltage Regulators/Surge Protectors

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:29 pm

I only have one voltage regulator that I use for my clothes dryer as the voltage fluctuations was harming the motherboard according to the repair guy. I don't have one for any other appliance and have never had a problem in Ajijic centro in 10 years. I do use the cheap surge protectors for my TV's and stereo equipment.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

tedandpris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Voltage Regulators/Surge Protectors Empty Re: Voltage Regulators/Surge Protectors

Post by Plan B Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:39 pm

I only use voltage regulators (offer some surge protection as well), however they only function if you have a properly grounded receptacle.
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret, kiko and tedandpris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 pm

That "properly grounded receptacle" is the absolute key to all things electrical here in Mexico. Do not assume that ANY three pronged receptacle is automatically grounded.
You can easily check for yourself with a surge protector that has lights which show "protected" and "ground fault". Just plug it into the outlet and, if the ground is missing, the protected light doesn't light up. Koblenz has surge protectors that do this.
The electricity doesn't go off nearly as frequently as it used to but it can and does often when you are not at home or in the middle of the night. It is the start up surge which can damage sensitive electronics.
That's why I use BOTH. A voltage regulator which is plugged into a properly grounded outlet and then a surge protector plugged into the voltage regulator. All the sensitive electronics are then plugged into the surge protector.
Have never lost any equipment in twenty five years of living in Mexico. YMMV.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

tedandpris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zdogs Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:42 pm

The newer refrigerators are packed with electronic 'gadgets'. In 17 years, we've replaced 4 refrigerators. The last one could have been fixed.....just replace the motherboard.....for 2/3 what the fridge cost new. I've learned not to get too attached to an icemaker. I won't buy a high priced fridge (seen some I'd love to have) because I know it will be a victim of a storm, transformer, truck pulling the line down, or my own generator malfunctioning. Been there, done all of that.

zdogs

ferret and tedandpris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:05 pm

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/31mkaBKIdkL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

How to check your receptacles.
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret, zdogs and tedandpris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down