INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worse thing about a face mask!

+4
CHILLIN
Dostortas
gringal
rafterbr
8 posters

Go down

Worse thing about a face mask! Empty Worse thing about a face mask!

Post by rafterbr Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:29 am

The worse thing about a face mask is when I spit and realize to late I am wearing a mask. Second worse is when I am shopping and it causes my glasses to fog up. Third worse is trying to talk on the phone. Fourth worse is trying to identify the good people from the bad people when all are wearing masks. In general just like everyone but robbers, I hate masks.

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Worse thing about a face mask! Empty Re: Worse thing about a face mask!

Post by gringal Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:45 am

I've got another one: If you wear hearing aids, they tend to fall out when you take the mask off.
Let's face it, wearing masks is a royal PITA, but apparently necessary until this plague is over. I read that the new variant is even more contagious than the other one.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

rafterbr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dostortas Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:27 am

They can serve as a decent chin warmer on cold windy days 😝

Dostortas
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:21 pm

I don't like how they muffle speech. I can hear, but don't understand. I have one ear which is weakening, but in general I think I have also been relying on reading lips and watching hand gestures.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:39 pm

You can't blow bubbles when chewing gum.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

rafterbr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:16 pm

And the straps also pull earrings out of pierced ears. I've learned to automatically check both ear lobes after mask removal.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:59 pm

Advantage: I don't have to remember to check for those pesky stray chin hairs to pluck before going out in public.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:46 pm

I am really enjoying this thread. You have checked about all of my boxes on this one. I sneezed in my blue, surgical mask and automatically put my hand over my mouth. I could feel particles coming right through the mask. How much protection am I really getting?

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:11 pm

Roy- this video is a really good visual of how well a mask works. Yes, some vapor goes through it, but the mask blocks most of it and keeps it from travelling very far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/saskatoon/comments/js86wj/use_saskatoons_cold_air_to_show_how_masks_work/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by dichosalocura Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:27 pm

I read that the new variant is even more contagious than the other one.[/quote]

It is quite possible that Omicron could be a good thing in the long run.  It suggests that the latest mutations are less lethal, since it currently is believed to be much milder that Delta with lesser chances of death or hospitalization and seems to equally infect those vaccinated along with the non-vaccinated.  But only time will tell.

https://www.cepr.net/could-the-omicron-variant-be-good-news/

Talking about those pesky face masks, boy did they help with the bobos this year.  Their one true benefit in my opinion.

And yes CEPR news is left leaning.

dichosalocura

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:57 pm

LOL! Yeah, keeping the bobos out of your mouth and nostrils is a definite plus!
I like the idea that the virus may be getting smart enough to not kill itself by killing its host. We can only hope.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by dichosalocura Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:34 pm

I like the idea that it so far seems to be pretty mild and non-lethal and it seems to be going after the vaccinated people.  I find that pretty ironic.

But like I always have believed, this virus will not stop because of vaccines or mask wearing or social distancing. As entrenched in the world's population as it is, it will just have to run its course. Many people don't like to hear that but it is the honest truth.

dichosalocura

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:25 am

Vaccines do not necessarily eradicate a virus. Some viruses eventually weaken and may disappear over time. I read that polio, while there are still isolated incidents of it in some parts of the world, actually largely disappeared all over the world at the same time, regardless of whether there were mass vaccination programs in those countries, or not.

What vaccines do is save millions of lives until such time as a virus peters out or so many people are vaccinated that it ceases to be a deadly threat. Some viruses never peter out, like the common cold or influenza. But there are different categories of viruses that behave differently. Covid is not in the same category of viruses as influenza and the common cold. So hopefully, maybe it will mutate into something that is simply a stay at home for a few days feeling lousy disease.

I have a friend who has been in a wheelchair since she was 4 years old. She contracted polio during the 50's polio epidemic before the vaccine was available. She could have lived a normal life had she had the opportunity to get a vaccine.

BTW, the Omicron variant is not "going after vaccinated people". That's a really ignorant statement. It is going after everyone, vaccinated or not- it seems to be capable of breaking through the vaccination, as are all the variants, but the vaccinated are much less likely to contract it, if you actually read the science instead of whatever right wing bs you read.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

DaveP, gringal, ferret and rafterbr like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Very interesting the history of the 1918 " Spanish" Flu. It originally presented as a sleeping sickness, people were very sleepy then died in their sleep. That phase quickly vanished, with no explanation, and certainly no vaccinations. The next phase presented as a bad form of influenza, but curiously caused outbreaks all over the globe, even in many countries which were not connected by air travel. It too mysteriously disappeared and no dna identifiable example it is known to exist.
Nature is very difficult subject to deduce expected results.
This, and many more mysteries in Bill Bryson's book, the Body, an occupants manual.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by dichosalocura Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:05 pm

Mudgirl you are right, I shouldn't have phrased it that way.  Omicron is not going after the vaccinated.  But the news media is focusing on the vaccinated in regards to Omicron.  During the weekend they were reporting that all those who have been reported to have had Omicron in the US had been vaccinated and many were facemask wearers.  In the article  I supplied above stated that it had been wildly spreading around in a Scandinavian country due to a Chistmas event and nearly every person infected had been prior vaccinated. But by no means I am trying to imply that it only infects the vaccinated.  I am sure it has the potential to infect all equally.  The good news is that so far it appears to be pretty benign.

dichosalocura

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:30 pm

"However, for unvaccinated people, the symptoms are worse and many are ending up in hospital. Dr Coetzee said that in South Africa, “on a hospital level… between 88% to 90% (of people) are unvaccinated.”

Meanwhile in the UK, former vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi said Omicron will be especially devastating for the unvaxxed. “The variant is so infectious, it will seek [unvaccinated people] out”."

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down