INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

5 posters

Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by Plan B Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:37 am

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

"When there's no profit motive, it's tough," Vinetz said. Meanwhile, he's resumed his research into controlling a neglected tropical disease: leptospirosis.

Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 591
Join date : 2018-12-29

Back to top Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Re: Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by Jreboll Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:55 am

I stocked up on Ivermectin, zinc, antibiotics (I was already taking Vit d3) when nothing else was available. Once the vaccines were available then I went for that.
The problem with older, cheaper drugs is they distract some from following our health leaders. There are thousands of older drugs. Should we waste time in testing them all while the pandemic is raging?

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2462
Join date : 2014-09-24

Back to top Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Re: Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by Plan B Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:10 am

Jreboll wrote:I stocked up on Ivermectin, zinc, antibiotics (I was already taking Vit d3) when nothing else was available.  Once the vaccines were available then I went for that.
The problem with older, cheaper drugs is they distract  some from following our health leaders.  There are thousands of older drugs.  Should we waste time in testing them all while the pandemic is raging?

Drugs like hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin showed hints of value initially but failed in clinical trials — only to remain in circulation, at least partly because their use symbolized affinity in the culture war for some of President Donald Trump's followers.
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 591
Join date : 2018-12-29

Back to top Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Re: Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by dixonge Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:48 pm

Plan B wrote:
Jreboll wrote:I stocked up on Ivermectin, zinc, antibiotics (I was already taking Vit d3) when nothing else was available.  Once the vaccines were available then I went for that.
The problem with older, cheaper drugs is they distract  some from following our health leaders.  There are thousands of older drugs.  Should we waste time in testing them all while the pandemic is raging?

Drugs like hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin showed hints of value initially but failed in clinical trials — only to remain in circulation, at least partly because their use symbolized affinity in the culture war for some of President Donald Trump's followers.

Code:
Over 20 countries have adopted ivermectin for COVID-19. The evidence base is much larger and has much lower conflict of interest than typically used to approve drugs.

https://ivmmeta.com/
dixonge
dixonge
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 70
Join date : 2016-09-25
Location : San Antonio Tlayacapan

ferret, kiko and Plan B dislike this post

Back to top Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Re: Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by Jreboll Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:09 pm

That’s a whole lot of nothing. I went through the paper, looked up about 15 references and saw it was a lot of garbage. The following quote sums it all up:
“While many treatments have some level of efficacy, they do not replace vaccines and other measures to avoid infection. Only 24% of ivermectin studies show zero events in the treatment arm. Multiple treatments are typically used in combination, which may be significantly more effective”

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2462
Join date : 2014-09-24

kiko likes this post

Back to top Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Re: Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by TomQC Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:26 am

This is being distributed in Canada (Quebec) at this time.  Apparently it has to be taken within five days of first symptoms.

PAXLOVID
TomQC
TomQC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 282
Join date : 2014-07-11
Location : Canada

Back to top Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Re: Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by dixonge Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:41 am

Jreboll wrote:That’s a whole lot of nothing.  I went through the paper, looked up about 15 references and saw it was a lot of garbage.  The following quote sums it all up:
“While many treatments have some level of efficacy, they do not replace vaccines and other measures to avoid infection. Only 24% of ivermectin studies show zero events in the treatment arm. Multiple treatments are typically used in combination, which may be significantly more effective”

Yes, doesn't replace vaccines. I'm not sure what your point is here.

Regarding references and your professional medical opinion about "a lot of garbage" - you seem to have missed a salient point. It is not a 'paper' per se - it is a web site with an overview and index and analysis of over 80 studies/papers, an ongoing, real-time meta analysis. You can disagree with their analysis (they have a feedback link) but hand-waving dismissal isn't a good look
dixonge
dixonge
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 70
Join date : 2016-09-25
Location : San Antonio Tlayacapan

Back to top Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Re: Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by ferret Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:44 am

Do you still drive a Model T Ford?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 9419
Join date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Re: Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by Jreboll Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:36 am

dixonge wrote:
Jreboll wrote:That’s a whole lot of nothing.  I went through the paper, looked up about 15 references and saw it was a lot of garbage.  The following quote sums it all up:
“While many treatments have some level of efficacy, they do not replace vaccines and other measures to avoid infection. Only 24% of ivermectin studies show zero events in the treatment arm. Multiple treatments are typically used in combination, which may be significantly more effective”

Yes, doesn't replace vaccines. I'm not sure what your point is here.

Regarding references and your professional medical opinion about "a lot of garbage" - you seem to have missed a salient point. It is not a 'paper' per se - it is a web site with an overview and index and analysis of over 80 studies/papers, an ongoing, real-time meta analysis. You can disagree with their analysis (they have a feedback link) but hand-waving dismissal isn't a good look

If it’s Covid studies you want here’s another one:
https://c19early.com/

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2462
Join date : 2014-09-24

ferret, dixonge and Plan B like this post

Back to top Go down

Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab Empty Re: Why Cheap, Older Drugs That Might Treat COVID Never Get Out of the Lab

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum