INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do we chew on each other sometimes??

+6
raqueteer
Parker
57Chevy
espíritu del lago
ferret
Zedinmexico
10 posters

Go down

Why do we chew on each other sometimes??   Empty Why do we chew on each other sometimes??

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:52 am

Well OK this is quite a string going on. Folks I have never seen such warped
mis communications amoung many of us. Why are we like this SOMETIMES?
We all pour out our hearts for Pedro and his operation than take things out
of context and mildly virtually abuse each other. Maybe SOMETIMES the bad
gringoes are all of us at one time or another. Could we be speed reading
some of the posts and not quite getting it. I kinda see it that way and I am
sure I am part of the problem sometimes. I have been in the past a moderator
on many web sites and I have never seen quite what we do to each other. Are
we older? Can't we read properly? What is it? Hey I like to argue a good argument
anytime but sometimes we are over the top myself included.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Why do we chew on each other sometimes??   Empty Re: Why do we chew on each other sometimes??

Post by ferret Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:54 am

Who knows what goes on during the course of someone else's day. Sometimes what you read on a board just doesn't sit right with you and becomes the straw that breaks the camel's back. Add in the anonimous equation and it becomes a free for all.

A good squabble is fine...call it sibling rivalry...nasty I don't care for.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Why do we chew on each other sometimes??   Empty Re: Why do we chew on each other sometimes??

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:56 am

I suspect most people could care less what a chat group on a forum is about, the group is just a convenient victim and the person and respondents IE the trolls simply exist so he or she can have someone to vent their frustration and revenge. It gives people a sense of empowerment.

I suspect most trolls are not aware of (nor would admit if they knew) their real anger is at a society (or a segment of a society) that has otherwise abused, enfeebled or alienated them. If you insult someone online, it's unlikely you'll face any physical retaliation for it.The worst thing that can happen is you get banned or your post get's edited. Making a pointless inflammatory comment's and witnessing how people take it so seriously is very amusing to people who have nothing but time on their hands and a few drinks in their gut.

Bottom line there's a stubborn minority of people on forums that are rude, intentionally provocative, or just plain abusive.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Well said espiritu! Kudos! We need forums to exchange information, help eachother, respond to needs, learn, network, etc. That is what this should be about. The main issues get lost in the bickering and attacks and nitpicking. Maybe there could be a separate file for emotional flares, verbal abuse, bullying, whining, and outbursts!
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:52 pm

57Chevy wrote:Well said espiritu! Kudos! We need forums to exchange information, help eachother, respond to needs, learn, network, etc. That is what this should be about. The main issues get lost in the bickering and attacks and nitpicking. Maybe there could be a separate file for emotional flares, verbal abuse, bullying, whining, and outbursts!

That used to be the “Octagon” and IMHO it did work well. Bob if you think I could help let me know.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:00 pm

I wish that thread about the wallets would go to the octagon, it gives a bad impression of the forum.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 pm

raqueteer wrote:I wish that thread about the wallets would go to the octagon, it gives a bad impression of the forum.

Raq, I am with you on this one.....BTW...sorry for Dumb Ass call on prior thread.....You are good people...me I dred the drive from GDL to Phoenix, driving alone....Wife is flying....so much for equality....LOL

Jim W Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Jim W wrote:
raqueteer wrote:I wish that thread about the wallets would go to the octagon, it gives a bad impression of the forum.

Raq, I am with you on this one.....BTW...sorry for Dumb Ass call on prior thread.....You are good people...me I dred the drive from GDL to Phoenix, driving alone....Wife is flying....so much for equality....LOL

Jim W Very Happy

Hey man, I had it coming. Sorry, but the wallet thread had me tearing my hair out.

Good trip eh, best of luck.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:16 pm

Wadaya Say... GROUP HUG??
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:55 pm

hockables wrote:Wadaya Say... GROUP HUG??

Absolutely! Quick!...before the moment passes.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:30 am

Everyone around the campfire and sing Kumbaya :-) (sp)

So any other ideas why we post what we post sometimes?? I find it helps to
rearead it and if I have the slightest bad feeling to wait and reread it later and
many times I rewrite the post or email. Time changes things sometimes.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:58 am

Zed, I think the fact that we had a troll lurking around for a week or more prior to the Wal Mart thread had a lot to do with what happened. Frankly, it was a type of troll which I had never encountered before, kind of tricky to detect. This, even though we may not realize it at the time, can really start pushing some of our hot buttons.
Most members have a particular style of posting which we're familiar with. However when something new, which we don't understand gets thrown into the mix, many of us, myself included, get very edgy and short tempered. It's that old OMG why do we have to keep explaining the same things over and over to this person feeling. Something's terribly wrong but we don't quite know what it is.
Meanwhile the troll escalates the number of irritating posts and they become even more nonsensical.
So, maybe we need to be ever more vigilant. This board is getting bigger, therefore there are more opportunities for trolls of whatever stripe.

Bad feelings after posting, either apologize right away or send a P.M. Anyone can be snippy at a bad moment. Pain, lousy day, whatever. Or, P.O.'d by a troll. New acronym. POBAT.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:28 pm

I usually ignore the trolls. They go away really quick when they get no attention. If one of the known members posts something that irritates me I try to step away for a while. Never post when angry.........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Well C.B. in this case, a lot of us just didn't get the fact that it was a troll until after the damage had already been done. It's not like they come by here all the time. Some boards are so used to them, they're quickly weeded out.

Should we have a thread on how to recognize trolls? What should be done about trolls? In one infamous case a troll infiltrated a mensa board. Apparently shortly thereafter 100 mensa types wound up looking like trolls, and the troll appeared to be just fine thank you very much. It's on the net, unbelievable.

As for posting when angry, that's real good advice in any type of communication.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:11 pm

In many cases the troll is a newbie that immediately jumps in on a controversial subject or starts one. They typically lack the patience to do it right. Most legit newbies hang out for a while with a few simple posts here and there before they feel comfortable enough to let er rip.........YMMV

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:53 pm

CanuckBob wrote:In many cases the troll is a newbie that immediately jumps in on a controversial subject or starts one. They typically lack the patience to do it right. Most legit newbies hang out for a while with a few simple posts here and there before they feel comfortable enough to let er rip.........YMMV

Another good one, and the dead giveaway was reviving a long dead controversial post.

Running a whole series of "hot" subjects together in one unintelligible post is another.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:04 am

And we jump through the hoop that the troll was holding up....over and over.
Kinda sad and funny at the same time.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:25 am

Zed, we weren't dealing with just any ordinary garden variety troll here, this one was special. The posting method suggested some problems, perhaps even physical problems, and therefore we were thrown off guard. Being the caring kind of posters we are, we didn't want to be hard on someone who may have had problems that we weren't aware of. While later on the troll became more obvious, in the beginning it was subtle.

Let's face it, we were had.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:09 pm

The positive side of being had is that we become more cautious the next time around.

There was an infamous troll back on the old Sparks forum who could sucker most people in after saying English was her second language and that she had some serious psychiatric problems as well. After a while, though.........people just got tired of the thought process....or lack of it.... and stopped feeding her (or him.....who knows?).

There is a humorous piece on the web somewhere on how to know when a troll is a troll or just a plain old PITA, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else can.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down