INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where can I get clay dishes at a reasonable price?

+2
martygraw
SusieSunshine
6 posters

Go down

Where can I get clay dishes at a reasonable price? Empty Where can I get clay dishes at a reasonable price?

Post by SusieSunshine Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:53 pm

The ones made by the indigenous that usually have little flowers painted around them. The bowls are great for hot foods (they aren't hot to hold...for little hands). I was told that they are cheap??? Anyone know where I can get them and a price range?

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Where can I get clay dishes at a reasonable price? Empty Re: Where can I get clay dishes at a reasonable price?

Post by martygraw Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:29 pm

On the main street in Tonala, I think on the corner of Zaragosa, there is a store that sell's nothing but the dishes and bowls you are looking for.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Where can I get clay dishes at a reasonable price? Empty Re: Where can I get clay dishes at a reasonable price?

Post by SusieSunshine Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks!

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Also at the Monday market in Chapala.
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Watch out for stuff painted with leaded paints.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:47 pm

SusieSunshine:

Seems that I remember from some of your previous posts that you have children. I am thinking that you are referring to the red/brown style dishes that Michoacán is well known for? You should probably be aware that most of this style of pottery IS NOT lead free. Depending on your planned usage you may want to consider this fact with young children? Most of the decorating glazes used in that style do contain lead!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Send her a PM Neil...that information is TOO important to possibly be missed...and she's not a regular visitor here.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:26 pm

ferret:

Just to let you know, I did as you suggested but so far she hasn't read the PM!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Well, you did the right thing...and that's all you can do.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 pm

I got it! I'm glad I did, too. My new rental only has those dishes! I do have kids! I'm going out tomorrow for new dishes. I had no idea...we have been using those dishes for over a month now. We have also been fairly sick most of that time. :(
THANK YOU!!!

Does it all have lead? If I ask, will they tell me? I'm planning on going to Tonala soon.

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:15 pm

SusieSunshine:

Unlike the US, Mexico has little or no rules or regs regarding lead content in tableware. While most of us are beyond the age when it would be a big consideration, since you have younger household members it should probably be a consideration! David posted a suggestion that a certain shop in Chapala had tableware that was lead free in a "tableware topic" and you may wish to read up on that suggestion. While we have probably spent 100+ days shopping in Tonala and really like the variety of product available, I am not sure that we have found any one shop where I would believe them if they assured us that a product was lead free. On the other hand, there are a few shops in Tlaquepaque where I would trust such an assurance.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks! I will just do without. I got new dishes today...glass. I put all the others up and told the girls not to use them.

I truly appreciate the heads up. My daughter is incredibly chemically sensitive. My daughter and I have been having headaches ever since we got here, too. I would have never thought about the glaze in the dishes because they are used in the restaurants.

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down