INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEAF CUTTER ANTS

+6
SusieSunshine
ferret
Solovino
Mainecoons
brigitte
Jim W
10 posters

Go down

LEAF CUTTER ANTS Empty LEAF CUTTER ANTS

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Back in 2006 our home was surrounded by ants....BIG ones. We tried spray poison etc., Our Gardner picked up PATRON CG...Not teguilla, at the fertilizer store . The only way to kill them is to sprinkle the Patron around the hole ....the soldier ants bring the poison down to the food..for the queen....

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

LEAF CUTTER ANTS Empty Re: LEAF CUTTER ANTS

Post by brigitte Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:33 pm

We have never been able to kill them off. Control more or less but kill them all no. We use the food they bring to the queen but we must have miles of tunnels and different queens. Our neighbor has 2 or 3 heactares on the lake and I am sure she does not control the ants so we have them no matter what we do.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:38 pm

USE Patron CG.....We have killed them off a dozen times over the past 7 years.....Prinkle the Patrone around the hole ....the army that hauls leafes picks up the poison and hauls like a leaf, and feeds the queen.

jim w
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:57 pm

I had great luck with finding the holes and dumping a quart or so of Cynoff down them. Same problem with the neighbor, Tapatios who are rarely there so I just go over there and dump the stuff down those ant holes too.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 pm

There is also a pellet that you place in their hole that emits a gas when it comes into contact with moisture in the soil. Since the gas is heavier than air it reaches the bottom of the tunnel.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:15 pm

My understanding is the soldiers pick up pieces of cynoff...or Patron...haul it to the feeding area.....queen eats....adious to the rest.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:45 pm

I have posted this a million (feels like) times. True Cutter Ants DO NOT EAT what they take back to the nest. They use the material to cultivate their own special fungus underground which is the ONLY thing they eat. That is why it is nearly impossible to get rid of them. Please feel free to check the info on google.

I am interested in the gas pellets that Solo is talking about. Sounds like more than a reasonable solution if you can find all the entrances to their domain which may stretch for miles underground.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:26 am

I got rid of them last year with kerosene. Old farming way of getting rid of fire ants. Pour it in and light it up. Have to admit, though...the cutter ants had to have repeat dosings to get the job done. Seems like it was around 4 times to get rid of them. Every time I saw an ant, I attacked.

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RachelM Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:16 am

When I first moved into my house, half the shrubs and roses were bare stalks thanks to the leaf cutter ants. On the advice of my gardener, I bought Patron and dropped just a couple of pellets in each of the holes that disgorged streams of ants every night. Next night, there were no more ants. None. Now, whenever I see a new hole, I drop in a pellet and it solves the problem. I have no idea if the ants are eating the pellets, or they kill the fungus, or ???? but it certainly works VERY well.

RachelM

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:58 am

I have often wondered just how many of the so called cures for various pests are designed to fool us humans and provide the pests with a good laugh?

When we lived on the Oregon Coast, we had a tribe of moles move on to our property. For a couple of weeks, I was the best customer at the local Ace Hardware Store trying each and every cure (traps, gas pellets, poisons, etc). I finally resorted to highway flares installing them in the tunnel network. We had a friend and handyman by the name of Jesus who happened to visit when I was doing the highway flare trick. When we walked around to our backyard, Jesus suddenly exclaimed: Neil, your JARD is burning! The highway flares were probably the cheapest thing I tried and did finally get rid of the pests.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 am

RachelM wrote:When I first moved into my house, half the shrubs and roses were bare stalks thanks to the leaf cutter ants. On the advice of my gardener, I bought Patron and dropped just a couple of pellets in each of the holes that disgorged streams of ants every night. Next night, there were no more ants. None. Now, whenever I see a new hole, I drop in a pellet and it solves the problem. I have no idea if the ants are eating the pellets, or they kill the fungus, or ???? but it certainly works VERY well.

The workers you see carrying pieces of leaf pick up the pellets, deposit them on the fungus pile, under ground....the queen eats them...once queen is dead the aunts disappear. Research shows the hole can be over 20 feet long or more.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:19 am

Jim W wrote:
RachelM wrote:When I first moved into my house, half the shrubs and roses were bare stalks thanks to the leaf cutter ants. On the advice of my gardener, I bought Patron and dropped just a couple of pellets in each of the holes that disgorged streams of ants every night. Next night, there were no more ants. None. Now, whenever I see a new hole, I drop in a pellet and it solves the problem. I have no idea if the ants are eating the pellets, or they kill the fungus, or ???? but it certainly works VERY well.

the aunts disappear.

What happens to the uncles??????? LOL
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by RachelM Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:22 am

Yes, I see the piles of dirt all along the base of the walls along my street. Very industrious little guys these leaf cutters! I don't know what they are munching in my neighbours yards but as long as they leave my yard alone, I'll be happy!

RachelM

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:30 am

CanuckBob wrote:
Jim W wrote:

BOB:
Blackeye When the ants have baby aunts, the uncles move in! Beer Beer
Happy New Year

the aunts disappear.

What happens to the uncles??????? LOL
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:38 am

Well I understand that the ants in France stay mainly on the plants!!

Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:52 am

I thought it was "Ants in your Pants" Beer Beer Dead Horse
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 pm

I think I would prefer "aunts in my pants"...... Twisted Evil
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:35 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Well I understand that the ants in France stay mainly on the plants!!

Beer
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains.
I think he's got it!
I think he's got it!

Cute very cute

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content