INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guadalajara

+21
kipissippi
juanrey
drmike
viajero
raqueteer
hockables
Mainecoons
susan
Walter
Ricardo
Solovino
ferret
gringal
David
Zedinmexico
shirley
brigitte
CanuckBob
Lehrer
CheenaGringo
hound dog
25 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Guadalajara - Page 3 Empty Re: Guadalajara

Post by raqueteer Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Solovino wrote:
hound dog wrote:
Ricardo wrote:I never heard Guadalajara called "El Rancho Grande" before but I have heard "La Perla Tapatía" quite a lot, and I don't see how calling it "Guad" (which I don't), is any different from Mexicans calling that tongue-twisting place on the outskirts of Mexico City "Neza".

"El Rancho Grande" is what people from Mexico City have been known to call Guadalajara which is a term of derision similar to people in the U.S. referring to a large regional city as an overgrown cow town. Mexicans often abbreviate indigenous names they find difficult to pronounce. Nezahualcóytl, Popocatépetl , (POPO) and Iztaccihuatl (ITZA) If any of you out there find "Guadalajara" difficult to pronounce you might want to check with your doctor for signs of a silent stroke.

So in other words, mange magnet, it is wrong for English speakers to shorten names not in their native language but OK for Spanish speakers to do the same (but of course Latin cultures do not practice that custom)?

Oh, and who said those nahuatl names are difficult to pronounce for Mexicans?

Now I am off to "Cihua" on errands.

Oh that's too bad, just when you're in top form with that mange magnet bit.

Just thought I'd add here that since Solovino is el perro equivocado, that is rather like the pot calling the kettle black, just sayin'.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Solovino wrote:
hound dog wrote:
Ricardo wrote:I never heard Guadalajara called "El Rancho Grande" before but I have heard "La Perla Tapatía" quite a lot, and I don't see how calling it "Guad" (which I don't), is any different from Mexicans calling that tongue-twisting place on the outskirts of Mexico City "Neza".

"El Rancho Grande" is what people from Mexico City have been known to call Guadalajara which is a term of derision similar to people in the U.S. referring to a large regional city as an overgrown cow town. Mexicans often abbreviate indigenous names they find difficult to pronounce. Nezahualcóytl, Popocatépetl , (POPO) and Iztaccihuatl (ITZA) If any of you out there find "Guadalajara" difficult to pronounce you might want to check with your doctor for signs of a silent stroke.

So in other words, mange magnet, it is wrong for English speakers to shorten names not in their native language but OK for Spanish speakers to do the same (but of course Latin cultures do not practice that custom)?

Oh, and who said those nahuatl names are difficult to pronounce for Mexicans?

Now I am off to "Cihua" on errands.

Hound Dog AKA Mange Magnet says nahuatl names are difficult for today´s Mexicans to pronounce although not for the original Mexicans who were destoyed by the European invaders and jealous fellow indigenous tribes trying to get even. OK, just to be fair, Dawg concedes that foreigners and Mexicans alike can say "Popo" and "Izta" but all you midwestern yahoos leave Dawg´s "Guad", San Cris and "Frisco" alone. You ain´t in Kansas anymore.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:45 pm

@ hound dog -
You left out "Yokel"!!!
lol! lol! lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:04 pm

"mange magnet?"

Beer
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:47 pm

just one of the affectionate nickname Solovino has for hound dog...I think it fit pretty well.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Well, I've met the Dawg and had a very pleasant chat with him and he didn't appear mangy but it is Solo's creativeness that I find amusing and impressive.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:46 pm

I am the one who had the mange.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:20 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Thank you Dawg!

This has been a pet peave of mine for quite some time! To my way of thinking, it shows a lack of respect and extreme laziness on the part of the foreign population. If one is referring to the Guadalajara Airport, then GDL is acceptable but bastardizing Guadalajara to "GUAD" is not! A while back, I tangled with a designated "destination expert" on TripAdvisor who happens to live at the Lake about her usage of of Guad. Went right over her arrogant head!
The local news program is called GDL Noticias and they don't just report on the airport.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 am

I don't like anyone mispronouncing English words, especially cities names (Hot-lanta, Big-easy, Big-apple, etc). If you are going to refer to a place pronounce the damned name, not some made up crap. The same with young people today who cannot speak proper English ( "I borrowed her some money", etc). Speak English and pronounce the words correctly or shut up!
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:48 am

Having a bad day, Dr. Mike?

Here's something to look forward to: a whole generation coming on board tweets, on average, 125 times a day. They are hooked into a new form of the English language, so if you think things are bad now...........just wait.
RUOK? MOK.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:48 am

I think nicknames are not mispronounications.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 pm

gringal wrote:Having a bad day, Dr. Mike?

Here's something to look forward to: a whole generation coming on board tweets, on average, 125 times a day. They are hooked into a new form of the English language, so if you think things are bad now...........just wait.
RUOK? MOK.
lol!

IROK! I don't know what MOK is...

Gringal you are absolutely correct about young people and tweeting (and texting). They tend to talk as if they are tweeting/texting also. Is that really a new form of the English language or simply a lazy way to speak? I also object to the use of improperly used words (like people who use nicknames/ or cutesie names for cities--I don't know or care which city is the "Queen city" or where the "Emerald city" is, or even where the "Inland Empire" is located. Just tell me in English what you're talking about. When I was in undergraduate school (UGA) I actually sat on a grassy hill and read the dictionary so I could learn to speak intelligently. It seems to me that speaking intelligently (and calling cities by their proper names) no longer matter or requires too much effort.

It is simply a pet peeve of mine.
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:07 pm

drmike wrote:
cities--I don't know or care which city is the "Queen city" or where the "Emerald city" is, or even where the "Inland Empire" is located. Just tell me in English what you're talking about.

And yet you use the word Lakeside. What lake would you be speaking of?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:26 pm

drmike wrote:
gringal wrote:Having a bad day, Dr. Mike?

RUOK? MOK.
lol!

IROK! I don't know what MOK is...

Gringal you are absolutely correct about young people and tweeting (and texting). They tend to talk as if they are tweeting/texting also. Is that really a new form of the English language or simply a lazy way to speak? I also object to the use of improperly used words (like people who use nicknames/ or cutesie names for cities--I don't know or care which city is the "Queen city" or where the "Emerald city" is, or even where the "Inland Empire" is located. Just tell me in English what you're talking about. When I was in undergraduate school (UGA) I actually sat on a grassy hill and read the dictionary so I could learn to speak intelligently. It seems to me that speaking intelligently (and calling cities by their proper names) no longer matter or requires too much effort.

It is simply a pet peeve of mine.
(UGA)?

Last edited by viajero on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:30 pm

It was my understanding that "Lakeside" meant all the cities and villages on the east side, where the Americans and Canadians live (mostly). If I'm wrong please correct me. I did not know that was a nickname, rather I thought it was the official name of the area. I don't live there, yet so I'm still learning. Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited by drmike on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:31 pm

UGA?

Viajero,

You got me on that one. That is the official abbreviation for The University of Georgia.

Last edited by drmike on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:36 pm

[

Last edited by viajero on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:36 pm

drmike wrote:IROK! I don't know what MOK is...
scratch Seems it should be IOK.... lol!

drmike wrote:Gringal you are absolutely correct about young people and tweeting (and texting). They tend to talk as if they are tweeting/texting also. Is that really a new form of the English language or simply a lazy way to speak?
Well, my last assignment as English teacher (prior to my retirement to Mexico) was in Brinkley, Arkansas. English composition??? Faggeddabadit!!! (Did I spell that correctly?) High school students were using "U" for "you" and "2" for "to" etc., ad infinitum! I tried to introduce formal written English, but I don't know how much success I had. I know, however, from the high school secretary that their scores on standardized tests in English after my short sojourn improved drastically over the years prior. Perhaps I made a difference?
Shocked

drmike wrote:I don't know ... where the "Emerald city" is....
Wasn't that in Kansas, per "The Wizard of Oz"????
lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Way to go Lerher,

That's what we need are teachers (like you) who demand their student learn properly, learn to spell and speak proper English. I do not think the way students now spell and speak will change the deficit America has in the world's economy.

"Emerald City", yes there was one in the Wizard of Oz, but it seems to me, I've heard of another city calling itself that. Can't remember which.
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 pm

drmike wrote:It was my understanding that "Lakeside" meant all the cities and villages on the east side, where the Americans and Canadians live (mostly). If I'm wrong please correct me. I did not know that was a nickname, rather I thought it was the official name of the area. I don't live there, yet so I'm still learning. Thank you for pointing that out.

Hmmmm.......an "official" English name for the area?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 pm

drmike wrote:"Emerald City", yes there was one in the Wizard of Oz, but it seems to me, I've heard of another city calling itself that. Can't remember which.
Perhaps Las Vegas, Nevada? Or Seattle, Washington?

scratch
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Lerher:(IROK) "Seems it should be IOK "

I was being facetious and spelling in text and speaking English like the youngsters do...
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:13 pm

drmike wrote:Lerher:(IROK) "Seems it should be IOK "

I was being facetious and spelling in text and speaking English like the youngsters do...
Yes, I know.

But I still think "I are okay" wouldn't be their choice; rather "I okay" would be the "shorthand" they might use. After all, that's one less keystroke!
lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:16 pm

You should know the difference since you were the teacher of the youngest generation. I submit to you.
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:34 pm

drmike wrote:It was my understanding that "Lakeside" meant all the cities and villages on the east side, where the Americans and Canadians live (mostly). If I'm wrong please correct me. I did not know that was a nickname, rather I thought it was the official name of the area. I don't live there, yet so I'm still learning. Thank you for pointing that out.

Hey Dr Mike, that's the North West part of the lake.

Just and FYI

juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Just to play the game a bit more, we cam make an opposing argument that all things must change to fit the times. Consider the difference between the English of Shakespeare's time and that spoken today, plus the notion that England and America are "two places divided by a common language.". I know of a person with a PhD in Spanish who had difficulty speaking to people in Mexico.

When I was a puppy, there were no computers or cell phones. Today's youngsters take these things for granted. We recently had dinner with friends whose 15 year old grandson, when asked to describe the huge marlin he caught on the coast, whipped out his IPhone and showed us the picture. Meanwhile, another guest's 5 year old daughter was busily playing games on a tiny pink computer.

You really can't blow against the wind very well with so much change becoming part of our lives, whether we're ready for it or not. My token protest.......having nothing to do with the world of social networking...........puts me in a very small minority and firmly in the land of Old Fogies. Suspect

"Lakeside" as far as I know, is just an unofficial area description of the string of villages on the North side of Lake Chapala

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next