INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Map of the world and GMO Foods

+3
Zedinmexico
brigitte
drmike
7 posters

Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by drmike Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Attached is a link to a map of countries and what percentage of the crops are now Genetically Modified
(GM's). These are usually, produced from seeds, from the Monsanto Company. Two countries have recently rejected Monsanto's pressure to grow GM Maize (France and Costa Rica) good for them. If other countries peoples would educate themselves to GM foods maybe that country too would ban Monsanto's seeds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/graphic/2012/feb/09/gm-crops-world-2011-map
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 304
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 71
Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by brigitte Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:34 pm

drmike wrote:Attached is a link to a map of countries and what percentage of the crops are now Genetically Modified
(GM's). These are usually, produced from seeds, from the Monsanto Company. Two countries have recently rejected Monsanto's pressure to grow GM Maize (France and Costa Rica) good for them. If other countries peoples would educate themselves to GM foods maybe that country too would ban Monsanto's seeds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/graphic/2012/feb/09/gm-crops-world-2011-map


It happens, Dr. Mike, that we live part of the year in Chiapas where we own a residence and interract often and have assorted friends within Chiapas´ large indigenous population many of whom are acquainted with local farmers and some among the indigenous population of Oaxaca as well. I cannot speak for my wife but I understand the basis for indigenous farmers´ reluctance to accept genetically modified corn which is a reluctance based on several factors, some grounded in agricultural concerns and some based on complex international geopolitical concerns. Much of this has far more to do than concern about Monsanto´s physical seeds as you must know. This is a complex issue you have boiled down to maddening simplicity. If you are going to proselytize on this matter, you owe it to your captive audience to explain the basis of your objections rather than issuing a polemic opposing Monsanto´s corporate purpose without backing up your position with something more than the proposition that, "If other counties (sic) peoples would educate themselves to GM foods maybe that country (sic) too would ban Monsanto´s seeds."

Tel us what you are trying to say Doc and Dawg wiill tell you what I think. I don´t necessarily disagree with you but preach to the choir with a message based on delineated facts or don´t preach at all.

Hound Dog

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 4285
Join date : 2011-12-02

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by drmike Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:37 am

Fine, Dawg, you want studies to show how damaging GM Foods are to humans...here is a list of studies to teach you why I am against GM Foods:

http://www.saynotogmos.org/scientific_studies.htm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html
http://www.enveurope.com/series/GMO_cultivation
http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm
http://www.raw-wisdom.com/50harmful.
http://www.combat-monsanto.org/docs/doc%20scan/OGM/Pryme.pdf
http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stories/articles/11-dangers-of-genetically-modified-food-confirme

Is that enough for you, Dawg, to understand my opposition to GM foods or do you want more studies? I can find studies for you to peruse all afternoon if that is what you want but you will need to truly read and try to understand the research. Take the time to really read these studies, some are summaries of the studies in which you must go to the notes to click on the studies. This should answer your bewilderment.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 304
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 71
Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:22 am

One of the bigger problems with modern farming seeds is a problem even
before GM foods. Basically now a days you are not allowed to plant the
crops that you grow. In other words the when you sign a contract with
Monsanto or Pioneer you are forbidden from keeping part of your crop to
grow next seasons crop. This is a big deal and has caused much suicide
from the farmers in India. I believe GM can be a safe and good future but
not with the people in charge in industry and government at this time. These
are not responsible people. Many of the same problems exists with Hybrids
plants. GM is not in itself evil however no question in my mind that what is
going on now is reckless and not responsible. Do you know that these seed
companies tried to go on the neighbors land of there customers and tell
him that the seed and pollination overflow on the neighbors property was
the property of the whatever company. The neighbors never signed the
contract in fact were using old style seed from previous years crop and the
Seed company threatened him until he called the sheriff in who adjusted
the seed companies attitude. So the seed company went to the government
and tried to get them to say that all the GM seed and where ever they
land is our property. Luckily no one buys this anymore.

GM could be another wonderful thing. Golden rice developed for Asia has
changed nutriction for the better and is not a natural plant but a hybrid.
We don't know what we are doing is the problem folks. Not nearly enough
testing and the wrong people are doing the testing and writing up the
reports. I can't talk that much about the science of the food raised using
GM but I have talked to many farmers and ranchers and I assure you the
politics stinks and is all about money and power not a safe food supply.

End of Rant

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5604
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by David Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 am

David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5003
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : Ajijic
Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by hound dog Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:41 am

[quote="drmike"]Fine, Dawg, you want studies to show how damaging GM Foods are to humans...here is a list of studies to teach you why I am against GM Foods.....

A positive response, Mike. Dawg appreciates and will read your sources over time but with my ADD affliction it may take me a while to wade through the material.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Posts : 2067
Join date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by hockables Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:21 am

Zedinmexico wrote:One of the bigger problems with modern farming seeds is a problem even
before GM foods. Basically now a days you are not allowed to plant the
crops that you grow. In other words the when you sign a contract with
Monsanto or Pioneer you are forbidden from keeping part of your crop to
grow next seasons crop. This is a big deal and has caused much suicide
from the farmers in India. I believe GM can be a safe and good future but
not with the people in charge in industry and government at this time. These
are not responsible people. Many of the same problems exists with Hybrids
plants. GM is not in itself evil however no question in my mind that what is
going on now is reckless and not responsible. Do you know that these seed
companies tried to go on the neighbors land of there customers and tell
him that the seed and pollination overflow on the neighbors property was
the property of the whatever company. The neighbors never signed the
contract in fact were using old style seed from previous years crop and the
Seed company threatened him until he called the sheriff in who adjusted
the seed companies attitude. So the seed company went to the government
and tried to get them to say that all the GM seed and where ever they
land is our property. Luckily no one buys this anymore.

GM could be another wonderful thing. Golden rice developed for Asia has
changed nutriction for the better and is not a natural plant but a hybrid.
We don't know what we are doing is the problem folks. Not nearly enough
testing and the wrong people are doing the testing and writing up the
reports. I can't talk that much about the science of the food raised using
GM but I have talked to many farmers and ranchers and I assure you the
politics stinks and is all about money and power not a safe food supply.

End of Rant

Z

The case U refer to I believe is the " Percy " case...

The Seed in question is a Roundup resistant hybird.

If farmers use herbicide resistant crops, 'non-selective' herbicides can be used to remove all weeds in a single, quick application. This means less spraying, less traffic on the field, and lower operating costs.

Truth is ole Percy probably was collecting and using seed.... when he got caught... he said " fine... get yer seed off of my land "

Not to complicated a case... interesting Monsato lost.

There are some huge benefits to this technology... Don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3748
Join date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:38 pm


Z[/quote]

The case U refer to I believe is the " Percy " case...

The Seed in question is a Roundup resistant hybird.

If farmers use herbicide resistant crops, 'non-selective' herbicides can be used to remove all weeds in a single, quick application. This means less spraying, less traffic on the field, and lower operating costs.

Truth is ole Percy probably was collecting and using seed.... when he got caught... he said " fine... get yer seed off of my land "

Not to complicated a case... interesting Monsato lost.

There are some huge benefits to this technology... Don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater.[/quote]


No surprise Monsanto lost. If you have a fruit tree on edge of property and fruit falls on my property. It is mine to use, Same with seeds blowing over to the property
next door. It is his seed to use. Monsanto should have sued farmer that spread the seeds on Percy property. Percy was actually violated by his neighbor not Monsanto.
I hope the judge awarded expenses to Monsanto for this junk lawsuit which Monsanto is famous for doing. This is what happens when companies have lawyers they are
paying for anyway.

FYI Roundup free soybeans and whatever are having big time problems. Go read about it. The testing was not very good. I am all for GMF when tested properly by
people who do not have a vested interest in Agribusiness. I do not deny the efficiency of no till, no herbicide crops but I just don't believe this has been studied enough
and by the right people. Time will tell what we have done. Hopefully nothing too bad but if Roundup free soybeans is any indication of the problems in GMF lets stop and
study this for a few years. I agree some huge benefits but not sure they got this right this time.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5604
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by hockables Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 pm

If ole Percy farms 1 section ( 640 acres ) of land
that violation, which saves ole Percy having to apply further herbicides
potentially could save him $30k in diesel & chemical costs...

Monsato has copyright to new technology and should have the same rights and priveleges that are afforded to
any other reserch & developement type developer. Thatz why these folks develope stuff...

I wonder if the patent is off Viagra yet...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3748
Join date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:16 am

hockables wrote:If ole Percy farms 1 section ( 640 acres ) of land
that violation, which saves ole Percy having to apply further herbicides
potentially could save him $30k in diesel & chemical costs...

Monsato has copyright to new technology and should have the same rights and priveleges that are afforded to
any other reserch & developement type developer. Thatz why these folks develope stuff...

I wonder if the patent is off Viagra yet...


Why should Monsanto have rights other people don't? Once again if an ag crop falls on the neighbors property it is the neighbors property same as an apple
falling on neighbor. Law is old and very established on this. Monsanto is asking for special rights and not getting them. Golly Gee. Once again the farmer
who contaminated the Percy farm is the one who is wrong and should be sued. Put something agricultural on my property and it is mine mine mine. So you
may feel Monsanto is protecting there Intellectual property but Percy did not sign any agreements with Monsanto. Monsanto seeds contaminated Percy's
farm. They are his to grow destroy or to sue his neighbor. This particular case has nothing to do with IP law. FYI My wife was an IP lawyer in San Francisco
in one of her previous lives. Yes she says Monsanto has all kinds of contractual rights if you sign. Percy didn't sign and should have had the Monsanto folks
arrested for tresspass. I would suggest you read one of these contracts (which are legal) before you blindly defend Monsanto. This is a big big company
that takes advantage of less powerful people. I agree that GM has great potential and will probably change things in the long run but the research sucks
big time. We already have problems with GM soybeans regarding roundup becoming less effective and they are not sure what is happening to certain worms
in GM fields in use. They still don't know how to seperate GM fields from non GM fields. We even have GM free areas in Oregon because they are growing
plants for seed generation use and are scared that GM pollen will contaminate the seed crop. Too many signs Agribusiness and Agrieducation and the US
government don't know what they are doing or they do and don't care. I farmed my way through college and we grew our own crops and saved, cleaned,
and treated the seeds which we kept for next year. Even then the contracts for Hybrid seeds was better for the company than the farmer. Now the
contracts are even worse. Ask the farmers in India who are killing themselves over there seed debt to these companies. It is very exciting what could be in
the future but trusting companies to do the right thing well that ain't gonna happen and doesn't.

End of rant :-)

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5604
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Now we have the definitive answer on the effects of consuming soy products:

Soy is making kids 'gay'"

http://www.wnd.com/2006/12/39253/

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 6692
Join date : 2010-04-17

Back to top Go down

Map of the world and GMO Foods Empty Re: Map of the world and GMO Foods

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum