INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you Rate these Restaurants for Food Quality?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How do you Rate these Restaurants for Food Quality? Empty How do you Rate these Restaurants for Food Quality?

Post by johninajijic Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 am

How do you rate the following restaurants on food quality and consistency on a scale of 1 - 10. 10 being the best?

El Jardin de Ninette - Tango - Hacienda Ajijic - Tony's - Bruno's - Armando's - Manix - Roberto's - Yves - Chac Lan - Number Four - Tabarka - Hole in One - Ricky's Thai - Simply Thai - Los Telares - La Bodega - Panino - Angelica's Bistro - La Nuevo Posada - Toscana - La Tasca - 60's in Paradise - La Taverna - Tratorria de Axixix - El Serape - Ristoranti di Aurora
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

How do you Rate these Restaurants for Food Quality? Empty Re: How do you Rate these Restaurants for Food Quality?

Post by johninajijic Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:56 am

My ratings:
10: El Jardin de Ninette - Tango - Hacienda Ajijic - Tony's - Bruno's - Armando's - Manix -Yves - Chac Lan - Ricky's Thai - Simply Thai - Panino - Angelica's Bistro - 60's in Paradise

8: Roberto's - Los Telares - La Bodega - Toscana - El Serape

7: La Nuevo Posada - La Tasca - Tabarka

6: La Taverna - Tratorria di Axixix - Number Four

I cannot rate Hole in One or Ristoranti di Aurora because we have not eaten there.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

How do you Rate these Restaurants for Food Quality? Empty Re: How do you Rate these Restaurants for Food Quality?

Post by hockables Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:29 am

U know what they say about opinions!!

So far.... my favorite might be Tango...
really enjoyed Simply Thai... Los Telares is great for lunch...

As for Hacienda.... been there 5 or 6 times.... couple good and a couple not so good...
a couple of times we froze our asses off ( not always about the food... comfort is a consideration )

Always enjoyed Robertos...good menu.... beautiful restaurant...

Breakfast @ Delicias ( but everyone knows that!! ) mariachi
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:05 pm

johninajijic wrote:My ratings:
10: El Jardin de Ninette - Tango - Hacienda Ajijic - Tony's - Bruno's - Armando's - Manix -Yves - Chac Lan - Ricky's Thai - Simply Thai - Panino - Angelica's Bistro - 60's in Paradise

8: Roberto's - Los Telares - La Bodega - Toscana - El Serape

7: La Nuevo Posada - La Tasca - Tabarka

6: La Taverna - Tratorria di Axixix - Number Four

I cannot rate Hole in One or Ristoranti di Aurora because we have not eaten there.

John, Aurora is at the end of our street and you have never been there?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:52 pm

I will never, ever, understand some of ratings.

La Nueva Posada is on a level with Tabarka? Recently?

60's in Paradise rated a 10??

Roberto's and La Bodega in the same class??

As I said, I'll never understand

Ah well, eating out is good, no matter where. No work to do.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:10 am

gringal wrote:I will never, ever, understand some of ratings.

La Nueva Posada is on a level with Tabarka? Recently?

60's in Paradise rated a 10??

Roberto's and La Bodega in the same class??

As I said, I'll never understand

Ah well, eating out is good, no matter where. No work to do.

Please explain Nuevo Posada and Tabarka as Posada has been mediocre for years and now Tabarka has caught up. My friends who eat out more than all of you and know good food and are extremely fussy, were at Tabarka the other night with 2 friends and they were served dried out fish. A fish restaurant that doesn't know how to cook fish correctly!!! The owner was not there and leaves the restaurant with a waitress who speaks no English. They'll be next to go down the tubes.

The year before, my friend ate there and in the middle of eating rushed out to the side street and puked. Good food, eh.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:46 am

What's with the "my friends who eat out more than all of you, etc."? You have no idea and are just blathering away there.

Posada has gone downhill. It is mediocre. But, when Tabarka is good, it's very, very good. But yes, it can be otherwise, so there's really no basis for comparison between the two.

Now, tell me about that "60's in paradise rating". Early Bird, I can understand, but not the current "60's".
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:59 am

gringal quote - "What's with the "my friends who eat out more than all of you, etc."? You have no idea and are just blathering away there."

Do you eat out EVERY single day at good restaurants, like in Toronto? I think not and you don't go to restaurants without looking at price. They don't ever look at price. I'm not blathering away, you are, without knowing what you're talking about. Do you know these people? I made a statement that is not BS.

You go to lousy restaurants because they're cheap and say it's good food, like Roberto's, when he's one of the most inconsistent in town. Myself and our Dinner Group only go to good restaurants that are consistent in good food like: Ninette, Hacienda, Tony's, Bruno's, Armando's, Manix, Ricki's Thai, Simply Thai.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:02 am

What's Toronto got to do with restaurants in Ajijic?

Last edited by David on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 am

Jeez, knock off the snarkiness John! Most of what you prattle on about IS actually BS, at least IMHO. BTW, Gringal isn't from Toronto.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:30 am

David wrote:What's Toronto got to do with restaurants in Ajijic?

Just out of curiosity, why didn’t you tell “gringal” to “Knock off the snarkiness” because she did start this by telling John “You have no idea and are just blathering away there." To my knowledge this is a word that could bring out a little “snarkiness.

blathering: intransitive verb

: to talk foolishly at length —often used with on

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:31 am

John, without getting into a Pizzing contest, you really don't know what you're talking about: you're making a bunch of unfounded assumptions. That is blathering.

As David pointed out.......I'm not from Toronto. I'm from California, have lived all the way from San Francisco to Laguna Beach. I know good food, and I'm not cheap.
I don't eat out every day at good restaurants and neither do you and your buds. I don't much care about price, but I refuse to go where I know I'll get ordinary food at high prices.

Now, shall we return to the subject of why you gave such high ratings to questionable restaurants?
And what is really your gripe about Roberto's.? Did you two cross swords?

Yes, Parker.......I get really annoyed when John expresses himself that way........as though he is a gourmand and superior to the rest of us. In fact, I get annoyed at anyone who does that. Baloney on wry.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:57 am

johninajijic wrote:How do you rate the following restaurants on food quality and consistency on a scale of 1 - 10. 10 being the best?

10 = Best, which to me means Guadalajara quality
NR = Not Rated

- El Jardin de Ninette 7
- Tango 7
- Hacienda Ajijic 6
- Tony's 5
- Bruno's 7
- Armando's 7
- Manix 6
- Roberto's 6
- Yves NR
- Chac Lan 4
- Number Four 8
- Tabarka 6
- Hole in One NR
- Ricky's Thai NR
- Simply Thai 7
- Los Telares 6
- La Bodega NR
- Panino NR
- Angelica's Bistro NR
- La Nuevo Posada NR
- Toscana NR
- La Tasca NR
- 60's in Paradise NR
- La Taverna 7
- Tratorria de Axixix 6
- El Serape 7
- Ristoranti di Aurora 7

David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:18 am

gringal - You misinterpreted my post. I didn't say you were from Toronto. I know you're from Cali.

I did indicate that you probably don't eat out everyday and you confirmed that. You are wrong. My friends in Toronto eat out EVERY DAY and also when they are here. They only use their house here 8 weeks a year. They own a business and don't have time to cook at night as they work up to 12 hours a day. And I do know them well, as they are our closest friends and we visit in Toronto and go out on their yacht every time we go to the States.

Roberto's - Total inconsistency and never enough on the plate. And I know you don't agree.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:23 am

David - Guess you don't eat out very often, but no one would agree with your list. Looks like you haven't been to Number Four or Chac Lan lately. Number Four should be a 4 or 5 for the inconsistent overpriced food and drink they serve. At least Chac Lan can claim great food even if they charge high prices. Both charge US prices.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:51 am

In the grand scheme of things, what difference does it make how John or for that matter anyone else rates a particular restaurant? Food taste, food preparation and service evaluations are a matter of personal preference and we certainly don't require someone telling us what we should or should not like. When we make our two to three week trips to Central Mexico, we eat out every meal out of necessity but that hardly makes us experts on food. Sure we might take some ideas from various restaurant review sites but we never follow them blindly. We generally decide on where we may eat when out walking around and familiarizing ourselves with our surroundings. If we have any questions as to how an establishment might meet our expectations, we may start off with cocktails only and then observe the food being served and the service. Just by sitting for a half hour relaxing having a drink, one can often make an educated decision.

Some of our best dining experiences have been in restaurants we have stumbled upon and also some of the worst. But that is life! It is all about the education and the experience.

I am still puzzled by John's contention that his "friends" from Toronto are food experts because they dine out all the time and that they own a yacht? There are people who dine out virtually every meal at a fast food restaurant and don't own a yacht but that hardly makes them food experts. This appears to be just another of John's "elitist" mindsets just like he feels the need to create a separate list for Vacationers and Newbies. Why is their a need for a different list?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:55 am

It seems we almost agree on some things, John.
I do eat lunch out nearly every day.......dinner is at home unless we're dining with others. I like my own cooking. When I was in business, my hours, like your Toronto friends', were long and dinner was often at a restaurant.

About David's list: I've heard from those who have been there that Chac Lan is very inconsistent. When it's good, it's very good and the view is stunning.

Now.......have you been to 60's in Paradise under its new ownership? Just curious . It's very different from what it was under old the Early Bird
management.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:03 pm

John, I dine out at least twice a week. I've never had anything but good food at #4 and never had anything but poor food and lousy servie at Chac Lan. If I want excellent food I go to Guadalajara. I call 'em as I see 'em. What's the point in you asking folks to rate restuarants and then arguing with them about their ratings?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:24 pm

David wrote:John, I dine out at least twice a week. I've never had anything but good food at #4 and never had anything but poor food and lousy servie at Chac Lan. If I want excellent food I go to Guadalajara. I call 'em as I see 'em. What's the point in you asking folks to rate restuarants and then arguing with them about their ratings?

When did you last eat at Number Four and Chac Lan?

I'm going by both most recent experiences at both restaurants. Chac Lan last Sunday night. 3/4 full of Mexicans with excellent food and service. A few years ago Chac Lan was horrible. It has TOTALLY changed with the new chef. You need to go again.

I ate at Number Four for my Birthday hoping to have a great meal. All 6 of us were so disgusted that I will NEVER go back to Number Four and I'll tell everyone what it's like so they don't get screwed. Worst meal I've had in Ajijic.

What restaurants do you like in GDL?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Oops: When I referred to David's list, I meant John's.

Everybody is a food critic, since everybody eats. Some people have such a narrow range of likes that they primarily want steak and potatoes.......so one must consider the source when seeing ratings.

It would make sense to make separate rating categories for full service restaurants and places that only serve lunch, such as Panino's.

Since John doesn't like Mexican food, someone else who does, should compile a list of their favorites for the edification of "newbies". Some of it is dreadful and some, delicious. IMO, it depends on the quality of the ingredients. You can't make a great chicken burrito out of junk chicken pieces, or rely on fire breathing sauces to mask over-the-hill beef, chicken or fish.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:37 pm

johninajijic wrote:
David wrote:John, I dine out at least twice a week. I've never had anything but good food at #4 and never had anything but poor food and lousy servie at Chac Lan. If I want excellent food I go to Guadalajara. I call 'em as I see 'em. What's the point in you asking folks to rate restuarants and then arguing with them about their ratings?

When did you last eat at Number Four and Chac Lan?

I'm going by both most recent experiences at both restaurants. Chac Lan last Sunday night. 3/4 full of Mexicans with excellent food and service. A few years ago Chac Lan was horrible. It has TOTALLY changed with the new chef. You need to go again.

I ate at Number Four for my Birthday hoping to have a great meal. All 6 of us were so disgusted that I will NEVER go back to Number Four and I'll tell everyone what it's like so they don't get screwed. Worst meal I've had in Ajijic.

What restaurants do you like in GDL?

I was at #4 a couple of weeks back. I will not go to Chac Lan ever again, I've wasted too much money there. It just goes to show how different the experiences can be in our local restaurants. In Guadalajara I like Lula Bistro, I Latina, and Tinto y Blanco.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:43 pm

I like the Outdoor Grilled Chicken places you see everywhere...I rate them .... hmmmm .... " 8 "
The one just East of Walmart entrance is very good... good Ribs also!!... San Juan Cosalla has several good ones...

Several times we have picked up food from these places and taken it to Jocotecep Malecon for picnic lunch...
Once we brought Sushi Plates we bought @ Costco " 10 " in Guad to Jocotepec Malecon for lunch... fantastic :)
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:57 pm

John, respectfully, you need to just let other people express their opinions without snide comments like "guess you don't eat out very often." I think David and I are pretty close in our evaluations in most cases.

Here's my list:

- El Jardin de Ninette 5 because the wine is overpriced and the place isn't very pretty or the chairs comfortable.
- Tango 7 Consistent!
- Hacienda Ajijic 6 If the sides were better, I'd make it 7
- Tony's 6
- Bruno's 7 The baseball fillet is the best in town IMHO.
- Armando's NR
- Manix 5 Competent food, music often too loud so we stopped going.
- Roberto's 7 Very nice atmosphere.
- Yves 6 Great place to dine on the lake. Start with a before dinner at the Tequila Republic on the pier at sundown.
- Chac Lan 6 Improving
- Number Four 5 Not worth the price IMO, inconsistent food and disorganized service.
- Tabarka 6
- Hole in One NR
- Ricky's Thai NR
- Simply Thai 7
- Los Telares 6
- La Bodega 4 Nice interior, mediocre food, spotty service and too loud music that makes it impossible to talk to your dinner companions. More a night club than a restaurant.
- Panino NR
- Angelica's Bistro 5 Didn't impress us.
- La Nuevo Posada 6 Great specials and ambiance in the garden
- Toscana 5
- La Tasca 5
- 60's in Paradise 6 For burgers
- La Taverna NR
- Tratorria de Axixix NR
- El Serape 4 Not even close to good Tex Mex IMO
- Ristoranti di Aurora NR

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Mainecoons wrote:John, respectfully, you need to just let other people express their opinions without snide comments like "guess you don't eat out very often."

La Bodega ranked with Robertos? Surely you jest. When I saw that I tried to decide if you were actually starting a humor thread here. Very Happy

Agree with both comments there. Too many apples paired with oranges covered with green fuzz. And the "elitism" about local eateries is pretty hilarious in this backwater of the universe. It's not Paris, New York.....or even Chicago out here. And not Guadalajara, by a long shot, either................so what's to get snobby about? I consider us lucky to have what we do. When I first heard about this area, it was said they had Tom's bar for burgers and a rib joint, along with a few hotels. Today's choices are an obvious improvement.

I'm still wondering when John was last at "60's in Paradise" under its new ownership. Things have changed. Any time a person rates a place, it would help if they would drop the year last visited into the review.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:45 pm

I noticed that nobody has rated Vita Bella, which is one of the best IMO. As for the others, Tango is pretty consistent. We like Robertos and the Hacienda. Panino's is great for lunch as is Rikki's.

Mostly we eat at home because most restaurants here are dubious at best.

Number 4 is overpriced and the food mediocre IMO, bad service every time we've been there, bad food and ridiculous wine prices.

Let's face facts here, this is hardly restaurant heaven.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum