INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting old, it's the new norm

+7
ferret
viajero
Zedinmexico
gringal
johninajijic
hockables
Chapalagringa
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Getting old, it's the new norm Empty Getting old, it's the new norm

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:27 pm

What's old? the bad news. It's not shocking anymore and actually expected from time to time.

It's been over a year now since we were really able to notice things were changing. Some of us hoped it'd never come here, thought it'd be too out of the way. Scared the bee geevies outta me the first time I heard a grenade & saw the light of gun fire down the hill in Chapala. What's weird is that I've gotten used to it. Think of it in the frame of mind that in Israel, most homes have bomb shelters yet life goes on as normal. When the article was posted from the recent Guadalajara Reporter that residents were struck with fear over the more recent discovery of dead persons near Joco, I thought, "they were?" It's unpleasant & it's going to happen somewhere, but when your life is so far removed from it, life carries on as it does all around the world. Don't dwell on what's unlovely, it's there but one doesn't have to be obsessed with it.

When we were building our home, one of our maestro's nephews was stoned to death by a gang in Chapala. It was truly sad but life goes on. Or how about my friend in the states who's sister was killed by a serial killer? Horrible. It's devastating to lose someone who is innocent yes, but life carries on even through the injustices we witness. Home invasions, terrifying hearing about it yet some have lived through them, some do not & don't want to imagine it happening to me. What to do? Do my best to protect myself and carry on. I've posted repeatedly of training my dog at Wolf's Canine Escuela for personal protection and guarding. Our home is pretty hidden/secluded from the street by walls with razor wire & thorny bushes with an array of brilliant color. Even our recent guests didn't notice the razor wire as it is pretty well hidden or out of sight by the lush foliage including banana plants. I don't know of anyone with a large guard type dog that has had problems with break ins. I quickly learned that a yappy dog isn't enough after we had a break in and robbery over 2 years ago in the village. First thing our Mexican friends recommended to us, knowing we were going to live out a ways, was to get a good guard dog that would bite; german shepherd, rottweiler, pit bull type. Being we can't see our street from inside our gate, I love having security cameras to see out with. Also able to check online while away & see who's a passin by. It's actually pretty boring where we live and didn't know that ground squirrel gets into the drainage, or that the local sweet elmer fud type gardener checks our trash. I think the most funny time watching the security cameras was shortly after installing them, an empty box of pull ups was set by the curb w/dog poop in it. There were 3 that investigated that box & quickly shut the lid :)

If we dwell on the scary stuff, it'll eat us up but chin up, think on things that are pleasant & lovely & enjoy this life while you can. Don't worry, that's what my Mexican friends say, although it seems that Someone else encourages that. I can see I've come a long way in a year from being a big scardy cat to adjusting to the new norm, taking precautions that make me feel comfortable & peaceful, check twitter, online news or a webboard from time to time but w/out obsession. I hope you have also fared it well & are able to enjoy life in the new norm ;o)

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Getting old, it's the new norm Empty Re: Getting old, it's the new norm

Post by hockables Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Refreshing.... and so right...

People are upset, and rightfully so... but the Chicken-Little ... Sky Is Falling crap is taking over their entire way of thinking

good post
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:58 am

hockables wrote:Refreshing.... and so right...

People are upset, and rightfully so... but the Chicken-Little ... Sky Is Falling crap is taking over their entire way of thinking

good post

Chapalagringa - Great post!!! One of the best I have seen in a long time in any section of the Forum.

hockables - Yes, just like the "Very serious break in" topic on this board that one person incessantly goes on and on with, yet her ramblings solve nothing. She uses us as a sounding board instead of seeking medical help.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

John, be kind. She's understandably upset with what is happening around her. It's been 3 months since things happened around here & I definitely took my time to adjust. A web board can be great therapy if a kind heart can read/listen. Even in therapy it's a listening ear that helps us most, being heard, a job a friend can do & this topic is effecting more than just her. It's really a community service to discuss it & commendable that she has the guts to do it :)

We made 3 changes after the 4 home invasions, including Brisas de Chapala.

1. Installed more razor wire to the front & back walls...too easy for a man on a horse to crawl over & I didn't want surprises from the back, although highly unlikely.

2. Installed dusk to dawn LED flood lights around the house.

3. Put the dog in Wolf's Canine Boarding School for training.

4. Installed more security cameras.

After that, I really don't see much more that can be done other than hiring a personal security guard, which doesn't interest me. i gotta trust Someone bigger than me to look out for me & be at peace that we've done the best we can.

Someone may break in while we're gone, but if I'm home, I'm going to have enough warning to call the police for help, that's my goal if in trouble. I really don't think anyone is going to get past the dogs or even bother. Can't sit around & contemplate how to get in because I'll see you & if you do get in, you may not have an easy time getting out. Stuff is replaceable but people aren't so as long as I have time to get help, I'm happy.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:48 am

And maybe we could use some Guardian Angels. The human kind. They were very effective in the formerly nice little college town where I lived. Formerly, since the gang activity was speeding up. We happened to be in the local pizza parlor when a bunch of the Angels had a meeting. Most of them looked like guys you wouldn't want to fool with. A little scary, but from the conversation we overheard, they were quite serious about their patrolling the neighborhoods, and about their good intentions.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:05 pm

gringal wrote:And maybe we could use some Guardian Angels. The human kind. They were very effective in the formerly nice little college town where I lived. Formerly, since the gang activity was speeding up. We happened to be in the local pizza parlor when a bunch of the Angels had a meeting. Most of them looked like guys you wouldn't want to fool with. A little scary, but from the conversation we overheard, they were quite serious about their patrolling the neighborhoods, and about their good intentions.

The guardian angels are forming a group down here right now. It is a good concept as long as you train them properly.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:20 pm

They might find themselves out gunned,just a thought.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:22 pm

viajero wrote:They might find themselves out gunned,just a thought.

No doubt that's true.
Along with the notion that a carefully aimed gun will "disarm" the best trained watch dog, too.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
gringal wrote:And maybe we could use some Guardian Angels. The human kind. They were very effective in the formerly nice little college town where I lived. Formerly, since the gang activity was speeding up. We happened to be in the local pizza parlor when a bunch of the Angels had a meeting. Most of them looked like guys you wouldn't want to fool with. A little scary, but from the conversation we overheard, they were quite serious about their patrolling the neighborhoods, and about their good intentions.

The guardian angels are forming a group down here right now. It is a good concept as long as you train them properly.
Z

Excuse me for being dumb, but what are Guardian Angels? Anyone who is worried about burglars or home invasions can buy a Taser. They ARE legal. You need a spare battery pack too. Keep it on your nightstand.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:33 pm

gringal wrote:

No doubt that's true.
Along with the notion that a carefully aimed gun will "disarm" the best trained watch dog, too.

We're training at WOLF's. Here's video coverage of training, including protection against armed attackers w/guns. Seems most w/guns around here can't shoot straight to save their life so you have a pretty good chance...if a pug can do it, what more a trained dog, hehe

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 pm

yikes.... that ole dog went straight fer " Big Jim & The Twins " thatz jus mean!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 pm

johninajijic wrote:

Excuse me for being dumb, but what are Guardian Angels? Anyone who is worried about burglars or home invasions can buy a Taser. They ARE legal. You need a spare battery pack too. Keep it on your nightstand.

If you don't mind someone getting that close to you that's great, I would not like to be in that situation & would much rather send my dog after them. Do what you is comfortable for you. :)

The guardian angels are trained volunteers who will walk around your neighborhood & help reinforce good behavior, detour criminals & help you if you're in trouble.

Hocks, I noticed that too...might do a little damage. We had a bunch of friends over in our yard after our dog came home inquiring of what he could now do? I secured the dog & told my friend to act like he'd hit me. I don't know why but everyone suddenly disappeared into the house. I guess he was already afraid of him but he saw that switch go on & he was even more frightened. Hope bad guys feel that way too. We just had family here for 3 weeks. I never bothered to do a demonstration & they enjoyed 3 wonderful weeks out on the terraza with the beasts playing ball.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:
johninajijic wrote:

If you don't mind someone getting that close to you that's great, I would not like to be in that situation & would much rather send my dog after them. Do what you is comfortable for you. :)

The guardian angels are trained volunteers who will walk around your neighborhood & help reinforce good behavior, detour criminals & help you if you're in trouble.

Hocks, I noticed that too...might do a little damage. We had a bunch of friends over in our yard after our dog came home inquiring of what he could now do? I secured the dog & told my friend to act like he'd hit me. I don't know why but everyone suddenly disappeared into the house. I guess he was already afraid of him but he saw that switch go on & he was even more frightened. Hope bad guys feel that way too. We just had family here for 3 weeks. I never bothered to do a demonstration & they enjoyed 3 wonderful weeks out on the terraza with the beasts playing ball.

If ever your dog does have to protect your home & family, and if he has to bite an intruder ( in the unmentionables ) U be sure to get him straight to the doctor for a series of shots.... theres no telling what Bowser might contract biting that Sumbitch...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Loved the video Chapalagringa! That dog is the spitting image of ours 'cept his face is blacker. Zorra's gettin' a little white around the chops but still has jaws like a steel trap. Nobody would mess with her...nobody.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Hocks, hahaha will do!

I'm so glad you have a good dog ferret. There's a neighbor below us who's shepherd won't let us near the gate. The couple was robbed once so he got the dog as a pup & trained her himself. I cannot imagine anyone messing with them ever either. Well, we know they were also passed over at least 4 times too. :) You can see their house from the street, they have chain link & a tall barred gate but the big difference is that dog. Barks vicious at anyone & jumps on the gate; good and scary. The owner said if I'd come in she'd pipe down but I said that's ok, she's doing a great job.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Our girl...
Getting old, it's the new norm Zorra_10
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:59 pm

peekaboo in the garden...
Getting old, it's the new norm Zorra_12
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:03 am

Chapalagringa wrote:
gringal wrote:

No doubt that's true.

We're training at WOLF's. Here's video coverage of training, including protection against armed attackers w/guns. Seems most w/guns around here can't shoot straight to save their life so you have a pretty good chance...if a pug can do it, what more a trained dog, hehe

IMPRESSIVE!!!!!
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 am

I need to correct my post & hopefully it was obvious that that is a commercial for Wolf's, not a training video. I believe that dog belongs to the owner's tween daughter.

Ferrett, love the pictures of your valient dog!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:13 am

ferret - What kind of dog is that? Nice pics and she is beautiful.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:34 am

Love the second shot. Caption could be "Hi! You want your leg chomped?"

Gorgeous dog..Malinois or GS?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:41 am

My guess is it's a belgium shepherd by it's short hair dark face but will see what ferret says it is. Belgium's are amazing dogs!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:49 pm

She is a Belgian Shepherd (Malinois). When she's being protective, her ruff blows up to twice it's size and really makes her look huge.
BTW, we didn't think she'd ever grow into those ears...darn near came close to calling her "Radar".
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:07 pm

I have two questions regarding your Belgian Malinois, of course :)

1. Did you have to tape her ears up? How did that go?

2. The owner of Wolfs didn't recommend I get a Belgian. Said it'd be too much for me to handle & it'd mess up our yard. What's your take on that? I love them! Love the short hair and they're mighty fast! Best military dog too!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 pm

She is certainly one beautiful dog.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder