INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eyeglasses

+14
CanuckBob
johninajijic
Chico
merry
CheenaGringo
David
ferret
gringal
gatosigi
hockables
simpsca
Trailrunner
Big Daddy Mexico
Axixic
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Eyeglasses Empty Eyeglasses

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:10 am

I am trying to decide if I should have new glasses made NOB before my move or wait and have it done Lakeside. I have a really weird prescription, partly as a result of eye surgery done in the 80s. Current lenses have prisms involved (I don't know if this is essential but do know that it is expensive). I would benefit from your experience - price, quality, selection? What is the state of optometry by the lake or in Guad?

TIA
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Eyeglasses Empty Re: Eyeglasses

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:52 am

Axixic wrote:I am trying to decide if I should have new glasses made NOB before my move or wait and have it done Lakeside. I have a really weird prescription, partly as a result of eye surgery done in the 80s. Current lenses have prisms involved (I don't know if this is essential but do know that it is expensive). I would benefit from your experience - price, quality, selection? What is the state of optometry by the lake or in Guad?

TIA

I had my glasses done lakeside and my boys aswell. He has broken his 5 times and they fix them for free usually within 2 days.

There is a place in Riberas. I will get the name and send it later.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 am

Optometry in Guadalajara is very good and very sophisticated and I have a couple of friends that would be blind if it weren't for the good docs and care they have received in Guad.

I have had glasses made in Riberas by Dr. Pinto, I would say it was adequate, took a long time to find frames I liked, my prescription is slightly complicated but not as much as yours and the price was less than my glasses always cost in the states. Like, maybe half. And yes, they will fix them for free, but the last time, a month ago, the new girl there said they would have to be sent to Guad and I'd be without them for a week. I didn't do it.

I do not know about prisms but Dr. Pinto speaks English and you could probably ask him - bearing in mind Mexicans are loathe to say no to anything or say they didn't know. 765 7793

I think if I were you, I'd have one last pair made in the states with cool frames and with your special prescription done well.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:36 am

Last time I checked they do not do trifocals in Mexico, I don't know about prisms. Eye doctors and eye glasses are fairly state of the art in Guadalajara, but some of the newer more expensive stuff is not readily available.

2011 in May I got titanium frames with magnetic clip on sun glasses. Ultra thin and ultra hard lenses, flat top bifocal, with anti-reflective and they cost me $253 US. I get them at my eye doctor's office and wherever he sends them they do the best job for my severe astigmatism - even better than in the US and at a fraction of the cost in the US.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:15 am

Hmmmm - this is what I am thinking:

I was planning to get two pairs made - one clear and one tinted (to use as sunglasses). I have traditionally used 'clip-on" but have found they too often scratch up the lenses so I think I will switch to two pairs.

What I may do is have the tinted pair made here and then have the clear pair made there (I have a scan of the detailed prescription that I can provide to whomever - in English, of course.) That way I can assess price, quality, availability for my particular screwy eyeballs.

Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 am

your move down isn't an end all... after a few months, plan a trip ( bout 12hrs ) with a grocery list...

might not be as big a list as you think...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gatosigi Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 am

I got inexpensive, polycarbonate bifocals from a neighborhood shop in Morelia that are excellent. But plastic, progressive lenses from a place in Riberas that did not work for me prompted me to send my old, Crizal progressives to the USA for repair.
simpsca, can you give us your doctor's name and address? Thanks.

gatosigi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:01 pm

I wore progressive lenses (strong prescription) for years, made in the USA.
Moved to Mexico over 8 years ago and discovered that, with a little hunting, I could get (almost) everything I need right here. For things we can't get at a reasonable price.....there's brokers to take care of it.

Dr. Pinto had my progressives made 5 years ago through an excellent lab in Guad, and my husband went to Luz, the optometrist at LCS (no membership required to see her or the other professionals who come in on a weekly basis) and got a very satisfactory pair of reading glasses and computer glasses. I got my "second opinion" from her re new eye problems. (Third opinion from a surgeon, later.)
She gives an excellent eye exam and is knowledgeable re prism lenses as well. In fact, that's her side specialty.
Free exam: charge for glasses reasonable. English spoken.

Just my opinion: If you keep the purchasing cord attached to the USA after a permanent move to Mexico.....you'll spend a lot of money traveling. Medical care in Mexico is excellent. The better hospitals are all you could wish for. Had recent surgery at Puerto de Hierro in Guad. Prices won't bankrupt you at these places, either.

Good hunting.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your input - VERY helpful. I am particularly gratified to learn that Luz, the optometrist at LCS, is knowledgeable about prism lenses. Even though an LCS membership isn't required, I am a member anyway so I will definitely look into that.

Because of family commitments I am planning a return visit NOB at Xmas for a week or two and I could always pre-arrange to have a pair waiting for me if that makes sense at that time so I am thinking that the idea of getting the "sunglasses" made NOB and the clear lense version made in Mexico is probably valid since it will give me a real basis of comparison (I can use my existing glasses - scratches and all - as my clear ones in the meantime.)

I just love all the help and wisdom available on this forum - thanks, guys.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 pm

P.S. Axixic: I also had her make me a pair of polarized sunglasses and I love 'em. After surgery, my eyes are super light sensitive and dammit, my 50 peso tiangus glasses just didn't cut it.

Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Am I missing something? Why not get transition lenses then you only need one pair?
I used the clear glasses and sunglasses trick for years then went to the clip ons. LOVE my transition lenses...made in Mexico...Dr. Pinto's lab.
P.S. I've been wearing glasses for distance since I was two...these new lenses and frames are so light they're almost not there.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:00 pm

ferret - Transition lenses don't darken behind a windshield which is often when I most want them to do so. The old photogreys did, but not the transitions.

Last edited by Axixic on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:03 pm

gringal - my 1980s eye surgery left me extremely light sensitive as well.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:05 pm

I highly recommend Dr. Luz @ LCS. I have Crizal progressive Transition lenses from her. Good price and excellent service. BTW, my Transitions work fine in the car. "Transition" is a trademarked name. Maybe some of the other brands don't work in the car but my Transitions do.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:09 pm

David - I just googled it and apparently transition lenses are now available with something called "Drivewear" which responds to both visible and UV light. So I guess the newer ones may work in the car. I will check this out with my provider here and see if there is a cost difference - may make the whole question of two pairs moot. Thanks.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:17 pm

ferret wrote:Am I missing something? Why not get transition lenses then you only need one pair?
I used the clear glasses and sunglasses trick for years then went to the clip ons. LOVE my transition lenses...made in Mexico...Dr. Pinto's lab.
P.S. I've been wearing glasses for distance since I was two...these new lenses and frames are so light they're almost not there.

Because I work with color and needed the kind of accuracy that transition lenses did not provide, but otherwise, I agree with you. After the surgery, I only need the plain dark glasses.

BTW, Luz at LCS will use your own old frames if you like them.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Axixic:

Due to a severe case of "snow blindness" many years ago, my eyes are very light sensitive. A number of years ago, I switched to lenses very that apparently are similar to Drivewear: http://www.drivewearlens.com/home.php?flashchange=8
While I on require bifocals for reading, I cannot go outside or get behind the wheel of a car without my Photochromic lenses. The best invention since sliced bread!

Admittedly, I haven't looked in a couple of years in Mexico but a few years back, I considered getting a backup pair and couldn't find this particular coloration in Mexico. Times have changed and maybe I should look again?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Cheenagringo - I certainly don't see any harm in looking into it, especially if you think you may need a new pair in the not too distant future.

('looking into it' & 'not too distant' - you see what I did there? I kill me.)
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Mine sure work in the car...if they didn't I'd be screamin' 'cuz that's where they're the most important. They also seem to make the "transition" much more quickly than when they first became available.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:08 pm

ferret - you drive a Mexican or NOB car? I ask because I am wondering about possible differences in UV filtering in the windscreens.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Mexican car 2006..and that's a very interesting point you raise.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Maybe catch a ride in someon'e NOB car and see if your glasses darken.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Axixic wrote:ferret - you drive a Mexican or NOB car? I ask because I am wondering about possible differences in UV filtering in the windscreens.

I drive one of each and my Transitions work fine.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Yeah, David - clearly yours have the "Drivewear" (or similiar) technology. Just wondering if ferret's do, too.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:46 pm

My Transitions from Pinto work in the car too, US car, but I don't think they get as dark as outside. Will have to check. At any rate, they certainly are fine and I have no complaints in that department.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next