INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonala on Election Day

5 posters

Go down

Tonala on Election Day Empty Tonala on Election Day

Post by dichosalocura Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Considering that tomorrow Sunday is Election Day for Mexico, how do you think it will effect a Sunday shopping trip to Tonala to buy some artesanias? In other words, will the tianguis part that has all the crafts stores be up and running or mostly closed down? It will be my first time to Tonala and was just wondering if it would be better to wait for next Sunday or tomorrow is as good as any Sunday? Also, if I take the Chapala bus to Guad and get off at the central vieja, or old bus station what bus would get me to downtown Tonala? Thanks for any responses.

dichosalocura

Back to top Go down

Tonala on Election Day Empty Re: Tonala on Election Day

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Keep in mind that there is also a Market Day on Thursdays. Just checked their Tianguis website for info but it is apparently down. Monday is the worst day of the week since so many shops are closed to rest up after the Market Days.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by dichosalocura Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks so much CheenaGringo for responding. I didn't know that Thursdays were also market day. Just would hate to get their with the family and find everything boarded up and closed.

dichosalocura

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:46 pm

It will be business as usual Sunday,from the central vieja you'll have to take two buses,Macro bus to San Juan de Dios and then the 614 or 615 to Tonala,a taxi would probably run 100 to 150 pesos.
The Thursday tianguies is less crowded,if your bringing the family I suggest taking the cab.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to take the chance tomorrow. If you go to the shopping section, there are a number of "Tonala topics". The following topic has a link to a fairly extensive Tonala slideshow and many of the photos were taken on a Thursday Market Day: https://www.insidelakeside.com/t3223-tonala-a-shopper-s-nirvana

Here is a link to a discussion about the restaurant we currently recommend in Tonala: https://www.insidelakeside.com/t3222-el-rincon-del-sol-tonala

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:19 pm

I agree with CheenaGringo. Cannot believe I said that. chico.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:36 pm

I will issue a warning: get your Tonala shopping out of the way prior to August 23rd when the Hall of Fame shopper arrives to do her damage. It will take the merchants months to recover!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:49 pm

Chico wrote:I agree with CheenaGringo. Cannot believe I said that. chico.
My wife lived in Tonala for over a decade,she tells me the "tiangueros" could'nt care less about election day,they'll be open.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:54 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I will issue a warning: get your Tonala shopping out of the way prior to August 23rd when the Hall of Fame shopper arrives to do her damage. It will take the merchants months to recover!
Neil we live 10 minutes from Tonala,maybe we could meet for lunch or something when you're down here.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Well Chris, based upon that info, I will certainly retract my guess on tomorrow. Then again, I am not quite sure that I would recommend a Market Day for one's introduction to Tonala. On the flipside, why not experience the total intensity?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by dichosalocura Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks again guys, you have been a big help. Well, it is good to know that the tiangueros will be up and running this Sunday but in retrospect I think that we will probably go Thursday when things are calmer and less people. From what I can gather on the internet it makes more sense when traveling from Chapala to Tonala to get off in El Alamo instead of traveling all the way to la central vieja and from there you can get on another bus that is going to Tonala. Does anybody have experience doing that and my question is what number and what color is the bus going from El Alamo to Tonala? Gracias de nuevo.

dichosalocura

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:24 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Well Chris, based upon that info, I will certainly retract my guess on tomorrow. Then again, I am not quite sure that I would recommend a Market Day for one's introduction to Tonala. On the flipside, why not experience the total intensity?
When we need something from Tonala we go any day but Thursday or Sunday,but the experience of the Tonala tianguies should'nt be missed.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:37 am

When we need something from Tonala we go any day but Thursday or Sunday,but the experience of the Tonala tianguies should'nt be missed..

Ditto.

A Peruvian friend of mine is a shopping addict so she insisted on going to the market, she hated it.
I have been there 3 or 4 times with guests who insisted on going. Now it is a plain NO take a bus or a cab but we are ot going to that zoo, life is too short.
I like Tonala and enjoy going there when the market is not on, it is fun to meet artisans and talk to them when the place is quiet.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down