INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where can I Buy a Surge Protector for my Pool Pump?

4 posters

Go down

Where can I Buy a Surge Protector for my Pool Pump? Empty Where can I Buy a Surge Protector for my Pool Pump?

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:51 am

Where can I buy a Surge Protector for my pool pump?

It is a 3 HP motor, 230 Volts and draws 16 amps max.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Where can I Buy a Surge Protector for my Pool Pump? Empty Re: Where can I Buy a Surge Protector for my Pool Pump?

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 am

Put a whole house unit on your breaker panel. Cheapest way
out of this.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Where can I Buy a Surge Protector for my Pool Pump? Empty Re: Where can I Buy a Surge Protector for my Pool Pump?

Post by little italy Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:57 am

John you have the whole house unit on your breaker I think. Ask your pool person or Electrician perhaps.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:00 am

little italy wrote:John you have the whole house unit on your breaker I think. Ask your pool person or Electrician perhaps.

Unfortunately I do not. I think a whole house system would be too expensive at this point where we're trying to sell. I was just hoping to protect the pump.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:08 am

Are you having surge problems? Also, what size are the circuit breakers on this pump?

I found that undersizing the circuit breaker on my house water pump causes it to trip when surged. Occasionally it is a nuisance but CFE hasn't cooked any more pump motors for me lately.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Mainecoons wrote:Are you having surge problems? Also, what size are the circuit breakers on this pump?

I found that undersizing the circuit breaker on my house water pump causes it to trip when surged. Occasionally it is a nuisance but CFE hasn't cooked any more pump motors for me lately.

No, I'm not having surge problems that I know of. I wouldn't be able to tell.

My only circuit breaker is 20 amps. I think to put in a whole house system might be too expensive, since we want to sell. I thought a surge protector only for the pump, as you suggested before in another post, would be the way to go.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 pm

johninajijic wrote:
Mainecoons wrote:Are you having surge problems? Also, what size are the circuit breakers on this pump?

No, I'm not having surge problems that I know of. I wouldn't be able to tell.

My only circuit breaker is 20 amps. I think to put in a whole house system might be too expensive, since we want to sell. I thought a surge protector only for the pump, as you suggested before in another post, would be the way to go.

3hp 230V pump motor won't work with anything consumer at all. You need an Industrial/Commercial piece to work with something that big.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Motors are a lot less fragile than electronics. I wouldn't worry about it unless I started having problems. A momentary surge isn't going to cook a pool pump motor. HOWEVER, if you buy one of those Pentair variable speed pumps that at least one of the solar companies here is pushing, be aware that the dirty power can cook its electronics and they can't be repaired, you have to pitch the whole, very expensive pump and get a new one.

For that reason, if you want to go for the next best thing, try the Eco Pump or as I did, go high efficiency two speed with dual programmable timers that allow me to do much of my filtration on low, very energy efficient, speed. EcoPump also has a much better warranty than the Pentair.

Also, you can really lower the filtration needed by your pool by minimizing sources of dirt, leaves, etc. around it. The less stuff that gets in your pool, the less filter run time it needs.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down